D V D A

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
mik
Chameleons Guru

No; not that sort you mucky pups..... :twisted:

The new NIN album "With Teeth" is being released in two formats, CD and Dual CD/DVDA (DVD Audio 5.1 surround sound)

I got the remastered Downward Spiral in SACD (Super Audio CD 5.1 surround sound) 'cos my dvd player is a Sony and can play them but I'm not so sure about DVDA discs.

Is this the same as a DVD 5.1 without the pictures, and therefore playable on any dvd player with 5.1 output, or does it need a dedicated internal decoder?

Anyone got one thgat can tell me if its worth the extra pennies 'cos there's no way on earth I'm shelling out on a new DVD player just to play one album :D

Mik
Something pithy.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

the dual disc will play in ordinary DVD video players and DVD-A ones, as it is encoded to play in both (this is mentioned on NIN.com IIRC). The main difference between the two is that oridinary DVD uses compression somewhere. DVD-A doesn't AFAIK. But yes you will still get the 5.1 surround sound if you play it in your bog-standard DVD player.

I have the dual-disc edition of The Downward Spiral which is awesome - sounds & noises I'd never heard before on that album!
The Scene won't save you...
James Blast
Banned

I was knocked sideways by the 5.1 sound on The Downward Spiral, as you said Scardwell sounds & noises I'd never heard before
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Damn and here was me thinking this thread was about pr0n!

:wink:
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson