There's a Pope!!!!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

@ Red Orc, glad you were thinking the same way as me about JPII being a "radical" (Nice thoughts about Chernyenko/Andropov by the way...)

But IIRC the implication of "radical" isn't necessarily "left-wing". It's more to do with "roots" - and you can't deny that JPII with his conservatism was very popular with a large section of the "grass-roots" rank-and-file Catholic Church. That more liberal intellectuals disagreed with him is neither here nor there.

Incidentally, wasn't "God's Banker" Roberto Calvi? (not Craxi) Is he the guy that was found hung beneath one of the bridges in London with bricks in his pockets? They made sure that it was all squared up and on the level with that one didn't they? ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

taylor wrote:>I guess, my english is not sufficient enough to make clear on which side >I'm on when it comes to the Holy War

Im sure where Ill be :D
@taylor
right then,firstly lets make this plain:i have no problem with the right of an individual to believe whatever the f**k they want-just dont try and convert me or impose any of the rules you live by on me or mine(then i would have to take it personally and that really wouldnt be in your best interests.)

so saying, does your above statement mean that a)you are actually in favour of a holy war between faiths and b) that you would actually participate in the(attempted) annihilation of the muslim faith;and,presumably all other non-roman catholic faiths?

apologies if i have misinterpreted you but i have just reread some of your other posts and i'm starting to worry that you and i may have fundamental differences beyond the fact that you are a "believer" and i'm...not.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:so saying, does your above statement mean that a)you are actually in favour of a holy war between faiths and b) that you would actually participate in the(attempted) annihilation of the muslim faith;and,presumably all other non-roman catholic faiths?
sounds about right. we already know he's homophobic.

:roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:...holy war between faiths...
A wonderful prospect. :roll: And as The Onion quite rightly pointed out a while ago...
God wrote:Which part of thou shalt not kill do you not understand?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Quiff Boy wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:so saying, does your above statement mean that a)you are actually in favour of a holy war between faiths and b) that you would actually participate in the(attempted) annihilation of the muslim faith;and,presumably all other non-roman catholic faiths?
sounds about right. we already know he's homophobic.

:roll:
He is? :eek:

Right, that's him off my "Thou Shalt Not OVERBOMB" list.
Red Orc
Road Kill

markfiend wrote:@ Red Orc, glad you were thinking the same way as me about JPII being a "radical" (Nice thoughts about Chernyenko/Andropov by the way...)

But IIRC the implication of "radical" isn't necessarily "left-wing". It's more to do with "roots" - and you can't deny that JPII with his conservatism was very popular with a large section of the "grass-roots" rank-and-file Catholic Church. That more liberal intellectuals disagreed with him is neither here nor there.

Incidentally, wasn't "God's Banker" Roberto Calvi? (not Craxi) Is he the guy that was found hung beneath one of the bridges in London with bricks in his pockets? They made sure that it was all squared up and on the level with that one didn't they? ;)
1 - there just seem to be lots of obvious prallels between Catholicism and Stalinism...

2 - I take the point about etymology - he was, if you like, a 'roots' pope... tho' for the past 250 years in Britain at least 'radical' has usually meant 'going to the root of the problem' as in root and branch reform, not ultra-conservative and fundamentalist - tho' on the other hand Thatcher was described as a radical, so I guess in the end words mean whatever you want them to - shades of Humpty Dumpty. I like the idea of him being a roots pope, maybe he'll be jamming in heaven with Bob Marley. Oh no, JPII would be going straight to hell... if there was one.

3 - completely correct, it was indeed Calvi. I've have to google Craxi now, to see who I'm mistaking him for. And as you say, on the level (and probably all alone to boot, tho' I don't think it's anything to do with the heritage or otherwise of Ozymandias...) - there was something to do with the tides, too, I recall. Left between the high and low tides, I think; and I believe it was Blackfriars Bridge, tho' I could be wrong (it was a long time ago...)

Conspiracy theory? Yeah, it's a theory about a conspiracy. Don't mean it ain't true.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Red Orc wrote:Craxi
Bettino Craxi was prime minister of Italy, back in the eighties, IIRC
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

1. Agreed ;)

2. "shades of Humpty Dumpty" :lol: politicians, eh? :roll:

3. You're right about Blackfriars. Google is your friend ;) And...
Red Orc wrote:Conspiracy theory? Yeah, it's a theory about a conspiracy. Don't mean it ain't true.
Totally agree with you there. All to do with the P2 Masonic lodge (hence the italicised bits in my previous post; both Masonic "passwords" ;))
—Bertrand Russell
Red Orc
Road Kill

Errr, P2, that's it, not K2... any reference to Sisters lyrics was just a joke. I don't really think the Count perpetrated it...

And right about Craxi too. Maybe I should post less and google more.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Red Orc wrote:Maybe I should post less and google more.
:lol: dude, you have what, 8 posts? I have more that 3500. I'm in no position to judge :innocent:
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

no.
never fall into the trap of thinking before you post round here, mr orc, and you'll be fine. :-)
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Red Orc
Road Kill

:notworthy:

Both of you are lovely.

I'll try my best not to think too much! (maybe I'll get religion. That should help.)
silk
Road Kill

I haven't worked out the post cout as I'm fairly sure that I've posted more than I have showing
on reflection, being born turned out not to be such a good idea after all