giving up smoking

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

OK, after 20 years on about 20-40 a day I'm going to do it, starting on Monday.

Any advice, tips, or tricks for succeeding in this momentous endeavour are gratefully appreciated.

If I fail in this, I shall post again and you can ridicule my pathetic lack of will-power and inability to do this simple thing.
Last edited by lazarus corporation on 23 Apr 2005, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

You can do it, good luck - just think of Russia! :wink:
Andie
Overbomber

phew...

one less person to share my ciggies with :wink:

OH...you're gonna be loaded now saving all that money...first round is on LAZ :innocent: :lol:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
James Blast
Banned

there is no life without a fag and a nice strong cuppa of a morning bon chance my friendImage
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Sorry Paul, you either do it or you don't.

Targets mean you can keep smoking until monday.

What's your target Paul? Monday? Death? Life?
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Loki wrote:Sorry Paul, you either do it or you don't.

Targets mean you can keep smoking until monday.

What's your target Paul? Monday? Death? Life?
I chose Monday because my supply of tobacco will have run out by then - and I intend to do it.
James Blast
Banned

Death is not an option
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Loki

James Blast wrote:Death is not an option
It is if you keep up smoking ... :?:
Last edited by Loki on 24 Apr 2005, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

which he's not
James Blast
Banned

... so you are beyond death JB?
what I mean is - I have yet to meet a human that has out run Dr. De'Ath, nes pas?
~ Peter Steele
Loki

James Blast wrote:... so you are beyond death JB?
what I mean is - I have yet to meet a human that has out run Dr. De'Ath, nes pas?
No James, had my big scare on friday. :cry:

Fortunately after the paramedics left I still made my meet. 8)

No more smoke, no nore drink. Sorry. :notworthy:
Mrs. Snowey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Loki wrote:

So, let me get this right, you had an even bigger excuse than bloke-flu not to do something, and you still did it :eek: :roll: :D
Why do keyboards get so dirty?
James Blast
Banned

Mrs. Snowey wrote:So, let me get this right, you had an even bigger excuse than bloke-flu not to do something, and you still did it :eek: :roll: :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
good point, well put Mrs. S... uh Loki? :innocent:
~ Peter Steele
Loki

Mrs. Snowey wrote:
Loki wrote:

So, let me get this right, you had an even bigger excuse than bloke-flu not to do something, and you still did it :eek: :roll: :D
Maybe a conversation on PM tomorrow, Heather. Because I'm knacked on bloke-flu tonite. :wink:
Loki

James Blast wrote:
Mrs. Snowey wrote:So, let me get this right, you had an even bigger excuse than bloke-flu not to do something, and you still did it :eek: :roll: :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
good point, well put Mrs. S... uh Loki? :innocent:
Had to be there ... :von:

Slept for 15 hours out of 24 since after the meet. Have'nt smoked since, haven't drunk alcohol since. the typos are Cassie the cat decidicing to stroll across the keyboard .

Good night. :D 8) :von: :notworthy:

Lots of love as always. These smililies are somewhat lacking. :von:
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Never read Terry Pratchett, have you? :wink:

Anyways, good luck LAZ!

I try to quit every single day, now I'm from one pack a day to one pach a fortnight, that's quite an improvement ;)

The bad thing is I'm already gaining weight, and I did not even stop properly. :eek:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Francis
Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:Any advice, tips, or tricks for succeeding in this momentous endeavour are gratefully appreciated.
Steer clear of smokers especially when imbibing alcohol. Not exactly rocket science but gets me everytime. One of these days...
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Good luck, Laz. Apparently, you've just got to get your mind off it for five minutes when you want one, and then you've gotten past that one urge. Sure you may get it again about ten minutes later, but just turn up the music and headbang until you've successfully killed enough brain cells to forget what "smoking" is. :lol:
aims
Overbomber

Dark wrote:Good luck, Laz. Apparently, you've just got to get your mind off it for five minutes when you want one, and then you've gotten past that one urge. Sure you may get it again about ten minutes later, but just turn up the music and headbang until you've successfully killed enough brain cells to forget what "smoking" is. :lol:
Although conversely he might kill off the ones responsible for remembering the definition of "abstinence". Probably not a good idea :innocent:
rian
Slight Overbomber

After 20 years of smoking, I gave it up 5 years ago. I haven't touch it since then.

The thing is, you really have to want to quit, otherwise you start again monday evning. You have to have the will and guts to quit.

Good luck though.
I think someone set my soul alight
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:OK, after 20 years on about 20-40 a day I'm going to do it, starting on Monday.

Any advice, tips, or tricks for succeeding in this momentous endeavour are gratefully appreciated.

If I fail in this, I shall post again and you can ridicule my pathetic lack of will-power and inability to do this simple thing.
Stuff will power and read Allen Carr - The Easy way to stop smoking

I used to smoke 20 on a lax day and 60 or so on a weekend, I stopped Jan 03 and haven't smoked since.

All other attemps failed, giving up through will power is hard so instead Allen Carr shows you how to retrain your mind so you don't want to smoke anymore
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

Hey Laz, I wish you power and good luck!

What helped me when I did stop, was a) having something at hand (chewing gum, "sweet wood" don't know how you call it in english) when I felt the urge to smoke, b) running (sports in general, to get rid of the spare energy and calm down), and c) avoiding stress. Also I didn't manage to stay at a club for a long time, as I was used to smoke while dancing etc. But the urge gets less with time.

What got me back to smoking were exams at the wrong time, and exams I somehow knew I wouldn't pass successfully anyway.

I've decided to give it a try again when I've passed my exams in autumn and then it'll be for good.

Again: BEST UF LUCK, and I wish you lots of POWER!
You can't fix stupid.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

So Dr. De'Ath has caught up with most of the people you meet?

Worried for you, mate :wink: :D
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

many thanks for all the advice - I'll stock up on chewing gum and that Allen Carr book.

7 hours until d-day.
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

Just to say good luck! For all the advice in the world that is so genuinely well meant, it's down to you!

And as I still smoke I shall say no more than that...
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news