hooked on classics

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
dead stars
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I am really not into classic. Despite the stuff the friends still insist I should listen, and I swear, I do.

Gabriel Fauré's "Pavane" was a surprise, though. Very good stuff.
It's not suprising that I prefer *erudite* music of the 20th century. Bauhaus already sounds outdated to me. (Sorry, people, they do.) I'm all for progress.
~dead stars still burn~
James Blast
Banned

People, people! Please try some Michael Nyman, a living breathing British composer. May I suggest:
  • The Draughtman's Contract
    A Zed And Two Noughts
    Drowning By Numbers
    Prospero's Books
    The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover
    Gattaca
you may have noticed they are all soundtracks but this does not diminish their greatness, especially the two in bold.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

James Blast wrote:People, people! Please try some Michael Nyman, a living breathing British composer. May I suggest:
    A Zed And Two Noughts
    Drowning By Numbers
    Prospero's Books
    Gattaca
you may have noticed they are all soundtracks but this does not diminish their greatness, especially the two in bold.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

James Blast wrote:People, people! Please try some Michael Nyman, a living breathing British composer. May I suggest:
    A Zed And Two Noughts
    Drowning By Numbers
    Prospero's Books
    Gattaca
And - coincidentally - all excellent films ;D
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
James Blast
Banned

Black Alice wrote:And - coincidentally - all excellent films ;D
I really, really like you Alice :notworthy: :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

James Blast wrote:
Black Alice wrote:And - coincidentally - all excellent films ;D
I really, really like you Alice :notworthy: :D
I do me best :kiss: :D
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

A Zed And Two Noughts
    Drowning By Numbers
    Prospero's Books
    Gattaca
The only ones I know are Gattaca and The Draughtman's Contract, both of which blew me away when I saw them. I didn't realise Michael Nyman was responsible for the music. I mostly associate him with The Piano, which may be a bit hackneyed but I still love the soundtrack.

Classical-wise, my tastes are very limited and somewhat predictable. Besides the afore-mentioned Carmina Burana and Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet, I like:

J.S. Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D minor
Grieg: In The Hall Of The Mountain King

So unless it hits like a sledgehammer, I don't usually get into it, which is a bit of a shame as there's so much to hear out there. I remember once me and a friend drowned out an Orange March by playing Carmina Burana at full blast out the window. We used it because we thought it sounded fittingly satanic.
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

@ Andrew S

If you liked Draughtsman's Contract and Gattaca try the others - they are all amazing.

Enjoy!! I'm really envious that you still have them to watch (lucky bugger!!)

(Sorry that this is off subject - but the films are great :D
James Blast
Banned

@ Alice I am a big fan of Peter Greenaway but...
I think Belly Of An Architect was his last decent movie.
It also has a good soundtrack, not Nyman (which I have) from Wim Mertens, Pillow Bookk was banal and I have yet to check out Eight and a half Women.
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I hope we all enjoyed the performance of Wagner's Ring Cycle on the telly yesterday... :innocent:

...no, just me...?

:oops: :roll:

GIMME THE RING. :von:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
James Blast
Banned

just you... :(
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote:I hope we all enjoyed the performance of Wagner's Ring Cycle on the telly yesterday... :innocent:

...no, just me...?

:oops: :roll:

GIMME THE RING. :von:
I didn't but I just saw a documentary on dutch telly about it :D

I planned years ago to listen the entire ring in a single time with some friends, but that's still plans :( , sadly, since it really intrigues me...

By the way: The entire cycle on telly :eek: ?
Isn't that like one complete day of music?
Last edited by Obviousman on 08 May 2005, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Michael Portillo was presenting! How could you have missed? :roll: :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

James Blast wrote:@ Alice I am a big fan of Peter Greenaway but...
I think Belly Of An Architect was his last decent movie.
It also has a good soundtrack, not Nyman (which I have) from Wim Mertens, Pillow Bookk was banal and I have yet to check out Eight and a half Women.
Have to admit at not having seen either Pillow Book nor Eight and a Half Women. Loved Belly of the Architect but didn't remember who had done the music - in fact have just been asking Paul (my husband) - who introduced me to Peter Greenaway and we couldn't think who it was - so thanks for putting us out of our misery.
Pauls saying that he can see how if the style was not done well it could become banal as it is static and posed. I seem to remember seeing trailers for Pillow Book and not being overly impressed.
James Blast
Banned

well Alice if you'd like to see Euan McGregor's knob, it's the Greenaway for you.
~ Peter Steele
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

James Blast wrote:well Alice if you'd like to see Euan McGregor's knob, it's the Greenaway for you.
Thanks for that snippet (!!) of info Blast - but I don't think I'll bother :lol:

Seen "wee McGregor" in Velvet Goldmine and that was enough for me - I'm a woman of sensitive sensibilities ( :lol: ).
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I did a presentation in college comparing the violence in The Cook, The Thief... and the violence in I Spit On Your Grave. :lol:

I'd forgotten that Michael Nyman did the music for The Cook etc. :oops:

IIRC Jean Paul Gaultier did the costume designs?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell