Vote for Democracy!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.

I think the General election was...

Poll ended at 18 Jun 2005, 12:45

a great edmonstration of people power. We are lucky to live in a democracy and should be proud to vote.
6%
flawed but essentially OK. No system is perfect and we should just get on with it.
28%
a bit of a botch frankly, there must be a better way of doing this.
56%
a travesty. I wanted my small party (UKIP, Greens, BNP, Respect, Loonies, other) to form the next government!
No votes
a farce. The sooner the worldwide working class rises in anti-capitalist, anti-statist revolution the better.
11%

Total votes: 18
James Blast
Banned

I voted
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

A botch. I would have voted for a revolution but a) I don't think that there is much of a "working class" any more - Thatcher saw to that and b) people (particularly in this country) are way too selfish, looking after number one does not equate to joining in with a revolution.
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Kind of off-topic, but I have a cousin, Colin - kind of like a ginger Billy Connelly... used to like Bauhaus and have his room painted black, now a hemp-wearing member of a Beard Society (no, I have no idea either) who eats chillis for breakfast... :urff: :lol: :eek:

... he spoiled his ballot paper. Voted for his mate "Bob", who lives down the road from him, and apparently would be better at running the country than any of the current shower of bastards.

:roll: He's probably right.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

boudicca wrote:Kind of off-topic, but I have a cousin, Colin - kind of like a ginger Billy Connelly... used to like Bauhaus and have his room painted black, now a hemp-wearing member of a Beard Society (no, I have no idea either) who eats chillis for breakfast... :urff: :lol: :eek:

... he spoiled his ballot paper. Voted for his mate "Bob", who lives down the road from him, and apparently would be better at running the country than any of the current shower of bastards.

:roll: He's probably right.
:lol:

well if you're going to waste your vote you might as well do it in style :lol: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

When I was at the polling station, I had an idea of putting little smiley faces in the box beside each canditdate...

Jeffery Templeton-Smythe, Conservative Party - :evil:
JO SWINSON, Liberal Democrats - :D

Thankfully there is no BNP candidate ever likely to run in my constituency. I don't think a smiley face could really convey my opinion about them...
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I didn't actually do it, by the way... :lol:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

You guys are lucky you still can put smileys... Overhere, it's all computerised voting, so no mocking possible :cry:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Yeah... we're a bit backward up here... :lol: :roll:
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Isn't it a bit perverse to complain that an election isn't sufficiently radical, though?

Surely the fact that there is little between the main parties reflects the fact that as a nation we have a clear idea of how we want to be governed and the contenders are striving to get as close as they can to that template.

The majority, by definition, can never be radical. Arguably, therefore, a revolution can never be popular.

Democracy promotes stability and comfort for the majority. Compared to a whole load of places we could be living the UK isn't _that_ bad. At least our health service isn't so starved of resources that it routinely re-uses syringes. Our state pensions may not be ideal, but they haven't been devalued by something like 400% in the last 10 years. Our environmental record can improve, but we haven't drained any major waterways or created vast tracts of desert in our country.

The above comparisons don't come from some war-torn African hell-hole either. They all come from Russia, a large industrialised European nation.

Just a thought.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
boudicca
Sister Midnight

andymackem wrote:Isn't it a bit perverse to complain that an election isn't sufficiently radical, though?

Surely the fact that there is little between the main parties reflects the fact that as a nation we have a clear idea of how we want to be governed and the contenders are striving to get as close as they can to that template.

The majority, by definition, can never be radical. Arguably, therefore, a revolution can never be popular.

Democracy promotes stability and comfort for the majority. Compared to a whole load of places we could be living the UK isn't _that_ bad. At least our health service isn't so starved of resources that it routinely re-uses syringes. Our state pensions may not be ideal, but they haven't been devalued by something like 400% in the last 10 years. Our environmental record can improve, but we haven't drained any major waterways or created vast tracts of desert in our country.

The above comparisons don't come from some war-torn African hell-hole either. They all come from Russia, a large industrialised European nation.

Just a thought.
I quite agree.

I think half the reason for people being so apathetic is that we are comfortable. Which is why I'm all for spoiling your ballot paper - if you really don't like any of the parties on offer, you should still participate in the democratic process, which we're so lucky to have.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote:I quite agree.

I think half the reason for people being so apathetic is that we are comfortable. Which is why I'm all for spoiling your ballot paper - if you really don't like any of the parties on offer, you should still participate in the democratic process, which we're so lucky to have.
It's a terrible thing to say (and I don't like me thinking it either), but disasters (war, climate, diseases, ...) help to set priorities, and I'm affraid most people are so comfortable indeed that they don't realise what really is important in life anymore: Happiness, peace, health, love, and other hippie things...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr