love and relationships

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
canon docre
Overbomber

boudicca wrote::eek: Sheeeit! Is that you in your avatar, cd?

RAWR! :twisted:

You one foxy lay-dee! ;D
Thank you! You're quite a stunner (voc?) too, Boudicca. :kiss:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

canon docre wrote:
boudicca wrote::eek: Sheeeit! Is that you in your avatar, cd?

RAWR! :twisted:

You one foxy lay-dee! ;D
Thank you! You're quite a stunner (voc?) too, Boudicca. :kiss:
Oh yes, so I'm frequently told... :lol: :roll: :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

does this fall into the 'find a room' category? hee
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Black Biscuit wrote:Anthony Robbins, the peak-performance coach and author, says "if you're not in a relationship, you've chosen not to be hurt". End of story.
Some song of which I remember no further details had something like that in it too: 'when you have no-one, no-one can hurt you'...

But it works the other way round too, in my opinion, at least I feel that way... If you have no one, you cannot share your joy with no one too...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
smiscandlon
Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:does this fall into the 'find a room' category? hee
Leave them alone. It's obviously just the ladies' equivalent of the baby-oiled male bonding wrestling sessions that go on elsewhere on these forums.
анархия
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

Just like to put in a word for those of us who are still happy in a relationship - he's me best mate and we hang out together all the time...joined at the hip. Can't and won't imagine life without him - and no, its not all kisses and roses, we have difficult times but (so far) have worked through them.

Not saying that those of you who have chosen to be single are wrong - live your life the way you want.....just felt that my point of view wasn't being voiced at all.

@ black biscuit - have been with my husband through my 20's and almost all my 30's and am lucky that we have changed together not apart :D
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

ditto..
soul mate. one you want to duff up from time to time, but there you are.
canon docre
Overbomber

Sounds depressingly like my life.

Intellectually I understand that people change, and a couple who have been compatible for years may suddenly one day stop being compatible.

Emotionally, there's still a part of me that feels that if you promise someone forever, you should at least make an effort to fulfil that promise. I know that's an immature and impossibly naive viewpoint, but that doesn't make it hurt any less when someone you've given your love and unconditional support to for almost a decade one day just loses interest and doesn't even want to try to make things work.
Your words were very touchy, Smiscandlon.
Maybe a threesome could lift you up a bit? :wink:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

:eek: :oops:

:lol:
анархия
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

smiscandlon wrote::eek: :oops:

is that an artist's impression? :innocent: :lol:
Delilah
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ocean Moves wrote:
was there a point when you decided they were the 'one' ?

doesn't it always happen when you fall in love?
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Delilah wrote:
Ocean Moves wrote:
was there a point when you decided they were the 'one' ?

doesn't it always happen when you fall in love?

Perhaps ..maybe thats it in a nutshell.

Anyone have any thoughts; when you fall in love, do they
always feel like *the one* ?

(asked, while deftly avoiding the question oneself... :innocent: )
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

Ocean Moves wrote: Anyone have any thoughts; when you fall in love, do they
always feel like *the one* ?
(asked, while deftly avoiding the question oneself... :innocent: )
That depends on your definition of "falling in love".

When I got together with any of my former boyfriends it started not too seriously, but rather as a game. After a few months with my first boyfriend I had the impression that he was Mr Right, and that was true for the time being. Only seven years later and gradually it started to be wrong, as we grew apart (especially I did).

With the men who followed when I fell in love I just either had the feeling the person in question was "worth trying" or not. And even if the latter was the case that didn't stop me from being together with that person for a few more months. Sometimes you have a lot of fun with somebody even if you know it's not going to last.

Don't know whether I still believe in "Mr Right". I do believe in love and in friendship, and I think love and a lasting relationship for me can only be based on a strong friendship, which rests hopefully on shared interests, and most certainly on shared views of the world.

I think it's this strong friendship that leads to what smiscandlon has mentioned: trying to sort things out, trying to "work" on a relationship if you encounter bad times, instead of just walking away. And I also think that it's this strong friendship which can keep up sexual attraction over the years. Besides: friendship is not to be mistaken for being used to somebody of for being unable to stay on one's own for a while. In fact, I think the abilitiy to lead a more or less happy single life is a prerequisite for relationships between two equal partners.

Amen. :lol:
You can't fix stupid.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Me and mrs fiend were "friends who f*ck" for a long time. Come to think of it I guess we still are.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

lazarus corporation wrote:
smiscandlon wrote::eek: :oops:

is that an artist's impression? :innocent: :lol:
:lol: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

you're a bad man laz :twisted:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

smiscandlon wrote:
emilystrange wrote:does this fall into the 'find a room' category? hee
Leave them alone. It's obviously just the ladies' equivalent of the baby-oiled male bonding wrestling sessions that go on elsewhere on these forums.
Oh come on, women are allowed to go around telling each other they look good without being lezzers! :roll: :lol: Everyone knows that.

I'm afraid there is only one person on HL for me. And I hate to spoil the party, but it's not a lady. :innocent:

Which brings us back to the original thingummy of the thread. ;D
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread. Rather than decide one way or the other, I 'observe'. So, all of these conflicting opinions and experiences are amalgamated into a guide to avoiding pain and pursuing pleasure.

Unfortunately, having observed nearly a hundred people in every version of a relationship possible, the end answer seems to be - Don't Bother. :roll:

I believe that people believe in The One, just like I believe that people believe in God, a tasty McDonalds burger, or another album...
I just don't know how to fit it into my world view. So, I let other people do it for me. I watch others conduct relationships and for every person who finds The One, two or three don't.

The experiment continues. :wink:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

boudicca wrote:I'm afraid there is only one person on HL for me. And I hate to spoil the party, but it's not a lady. :innocent:

Which brings us back to the original thingummy of the thread. ;D
:eek: Boudy has a boyfriend! Boudy has a boyfriend! ;D :kiss:

Soz. Just teasing. Unfortunately, it's not a statement that can be thrown back at me...nor likely will be anytime soon. :cry: :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Black Alice wrote:Not saying that those of you who have chosen to be single are wrong - live your life the way you want...
Sometimes, it's not really a "choice" - there just aren't any viable options, period. :evil:
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

SINsister wrote:
Black Alice wrote:Not saying that those of you who have chosen to be single are wrong - live your life the way you want...
Sometimes, it's not really a "choice" - there just aren't any viable options, period. :evil:
I knew as soon as I typed that that it didn't cover everyone! Wish there was an answer that wouldn't sound trite....you know....."there are plenty more fish in the sea"; "Mr Right could be just round the corner" etc :urff:

But there are none, so I won't attempt it :(
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

after swearing that I would be single forever and ever amen I am now in a relationship (after being accused of selling out by my single girlie friends) and I have to say I have never been happier

feel free to vomit!

emilystrange
Above the Chemist

SINsister wrote:
get your pretty lil ass over here, woman. there are plenty whose knees would go weak at a glance from our truly stupendous Hostess. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

emilystrange wrote:get your pretty lil ass over here, woman. there are plenty whose knees would go weak at a glance from our truly stupendous Hostess. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
*Blush* Thank you, dearest Em!!! :oops: ;D

But: would MY knees go weak at a glance from *them*, I wonder... :(
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

well if not, we have a few million more.
canon docre
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:
emilystrange wrote:get your pretty lil ass over here, woman. there are plenty whose knees would go weak at a glance from our truly stupendous Hostess. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
*Blush* Thank you, dearest Em!!! :oops: ;D

But: would MY knees go weak at a glance from *them*, I wonder... :(
Isn't there a shortage of single men after the last Heartlander meet up, anyway? :innocent:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.