long-distance relationships, do they work?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Delilah
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

OK, we have "love and relationships" topic, now another question - what do you think about long-distance relationships? Do they work or is it a waste of time?
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

IMHO. I don't think they do. I've heard it works for some people, but I personally couldn't do it!

I would say it would depend on what you both wanted out of it.
Only a paand.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

DELILAH!!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Delilah

boudicca wrote:DELILAH!!!

I think we are on the same boat/train/plane whatever now Boudicca. Not the same destination I hope ;D :twisted: :D
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

I don't think they can work.

Another thing I don't get is internet relationships. :?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

PM D. :innocent:
christophe
Overbomber

it depends, do you intend to do something about the distance in the future, as in moving together. or is it impossible (because of a job...exc..) to do so, and do you intend to live seperate...
I don't think the second option would work for me.
Another Shade of You.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

The clue's in the sig.... :innocent: Image
hallucienate
Overbomber

Never tried one myself but I've seen it work for a friend of mine.

From what I've seen these relationships consist of dizzying whirlwind meetings followed by extended periods of longing. Fine if you can handle that.

The problem my friend encountered was when the relationships went from being long distance to a more regular partnerships. You may find the person you've actually spent comparatively little face time with is all they're cracked up to be (or they may think that about you).
Delilah

boudicca wrote:The clue's in the sig.... :innocent: Image
B. I'm not into men who are spoken for :wink: :innocent:
Debaser
Overbomber

Essential.....the gene pool needs every bit of help it can get!

I know of at least three VERY long distance relationships - all met up through the internet. Can't see any difference where you met, be it in cyber space or on holiday or whatever. Takes more commitment (which is no bad thing in a relationship) and if you are the person who'd stray...you be the type of person who'd stray even if your partner lived two hundred yards down the road.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Delilah wrote:
B. I'm not into men who are spoken for :wink: :innocent:
Bless yer black little heart! :notworthy:
Delilah

Debaser wrote:Essential.....the gene pool needs every bit of help it can get!

I know of at least three VERY long distance relationships - all met up through the internet. Can't see any difference where you met, be it in cyber space or on holiday or whatever. Takes more commitment (which is no bad thing in a relationship) and if you are the person who'd stray...you be the type of person who'd stray even if your partner lived two hundred yards down the road.
Internet can be quite evil though... You kind of feel commited to a person you chat every night too, but then you don't really know anything about them, thay may feed you lies without you realising it, you build up hopes and then end up getting hurt and disappointed... But I know a couple who met on a certain forum
:innocent: and are happy together. Bless them :kiss:
Internet helps if you met the person you are chatting to, and if you are far apart, it will definitely help your feelings grow. But I'd stay away from cyber-relationships. :?
James Blast
Banned

Glasgow to Manchester, 7 intense months
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

James Blast wrote:Glasgow to Manchester, 7 intense months
That's British Rail for you... :P :wink:

What is it with me and long trains... :innocent:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I've done it before (for the first 1-2 years of what became a 7 year relationship, so yes it can work) and I'm doing it again. And I'm very happy about it, thank you very much. :D
James Blast
Banned

anyone we know Laz :innocent:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Yes, Laz... we can keep a secret... :lol: :roll:
black-saturn
Road Kill

I know this is a wierd thing to put for your second post. But I met my current boyfriend on a forum for another band I like and instantly got on with him. We started chatting every night on MSN and after about 2 months decided to meet. I live in Lowestoft and he lives in London. So it's about 120 miles apart. We have been going for about 7 months now and everything is going really well. We see each other as often as we can and talk on the phone every night. I think there are lots of ways you can meet someone and there is no right or wrong way.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

James Blast wrote:anyone we know Laz :innocent:
boudicca wrote:Yes, Laz... we can keep a secret... :lol: :roll:

;D
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

A-ha.

Promising tale, Black-Saturn. It hasn't worked out in my personal experience, and those around me have usually gravitated to the more practical compromise of "Let's get together when/if we are closer."
I'd rescind my earlier cynical comments, and encourage people to go for it.

And to forward me monthy reports for, ah, scientific purposes.
black-saturn
Road Kill

Thats OK. I've also had a long distance relationship that didn't work out. I think if you've found the right person it shouldnt matter how far away they are. The distance thing can be a bit off putting though and all that travelling :roll:
Barracuda
Amphetamine Filth

I spent nearly 4 years jetting to Barcelona as often as I could and it was hard, that's for sure. All the usual relationship problems, but with the added hurdle of 1000 odd miles.

Eventually I jacked in my job, sold my flat and moved. I've been living in Barcelona for nearly 4 years now. All the usual relationship problems, but under the same roof now :-) And she doesn't like the sisters :eek:
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I think long distance relationships work if you are both prepared to put in the effort - which thankfully we are 8)
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

We did it for a year. We had been together for a year already and then he graduated and went away to work. Hated it, but the intention was always that we would eventually live together. It was really difficult but, as someone said above, when you get together its really intense so that adds a certain dimension, retains a certain frisson :twisted:

If you are committed it will work - if you're not, it won't.
Last edited by Black Alice on 24 May 2005, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.