crisis of conscience

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

there have been two very good jobs advertised, and i haven't gone for either.

why? because both are church schools, of different persuasions, and a 'sympathy with the school's religious ethos' is required.

I can't bring myself to apply. just can't. but i will need a job..

i have enough trouble with myself when i lead the kids in saying grace. deciding not to participate in a religion is bad enough, but i feel like i'm being disrespectful when i join in. i can't not really, not in my training school, and that's a church school too. (you don't get much choice where you go, but fortunately the religious side is not overemphasised. )
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Debaser
Overbomber

I sympathise Em. I work in a C of E school...but unlike you I have no conscience. As I don't believe I'll be struck down by a thunderbolt.

There are a few of things I don't believe in personally, that I have to teach or teach about. I totally disagree in primary schoolkids having homework - buit I have to give it to them. I absolutely disagree in SATS but have to comply.

However, church schools are usually the best places to work, the kids are usually good and the support given by parents is usually good (mine being the exception to the rule)

My advice is find the best school no matter what it's particular persuasion.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

yeah, i know.. i don't have trouble with teaching about religion, its teaching religion that i have a problem with.

I'm gonna have to stick to my principles on this one. if they specify it on the job ad, they're gonna ask about in the interview, most likely. and i can't lie about that one. (other things, of course)
Debaser
Overbomber

You're probably best waiting for a job that's right for you - there's plenty of good schools that aren't attached to a church or a particular 'leaning'

The school down the road that we 'collaborate' with had 196 applicants!!!!! I've got my eye on a KeyStage Two job that's coming up there, next year ;)

I'll stay here until Christmas, so that I've done two full years, then I'm away - it's doing my nut in - has been doing since the first week.

Good luck jobseeking.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Take the money and run, babe... ;D
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
James Blast
Banned

personally, Jo I'd go and work for a fascist dictatorship just to get out of my current situ. I've had any ideals and good intentions battered out of me.

Charity begins at home.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
black-saturn
Road Kill

Yeh, try and block out the feelings and take the money. See yourself as taking them for a ride.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

I can't. it would kill me. there are some things i will NOT do.
James Blast
Banned

try getting older and more pummelled, then talk to me
no offence Jo, its just my personal experience
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i've been pummelled, honey, and i've taken the devil's pay before now. and I will not do it again.
James Blast
Banned

more power to ye!
~ Peter Steele
Andie
Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:I can't. it would kill me. there are some things i will NOT do.
i can totally agree with you on this point...and i can only think of one solution...

teach in Scotland...there is no C of E there!...and the school system is much better than the english one :innocent:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

Burn wrote:i can totally agree with you on this point...and i can only think of one solution...

teach in Scotland...there is no C of E there!...
No, just good ole' Bishop Devine :evil:
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotlan ... =302752005
Andie
Overbomber

Andrew S wrote:
Burn wrote:i can totally agree with you on this point...and i can only think of one solution...

teach in Scotland...there is no C of E there!...
No, just good ole' Bishop Devine :evil:
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotlan ... =302752005
WTF?...typical freeking Scotish religious nutters... :innocent:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Although I agree with Blast's attitude of compromising on their terms, it's considerably different compromising on your own ethics and choices.

I couldn't do it either, Strange. I don't blame you - keep looking though.
Francis
Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:deciding not to participate in a religion is bad enough, but i feel like i'm being disrespectful when i join in.
Not just me then. Wouldn't marry in church or get Luke christened. Pam was a bit miffed.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Good on yer ems. Have the courage of your (lack of) convictions.

I struggle at any kind of religious service; I'll stand up and sit down at the appropriate cues, but I won't sing or "pray". I'd feel too much of a hypocrite.

And :notworthy: at Francis too.

At least Kerry isn't religious either. We didn't get married in church, but then again we didn't get married anywhere ;)
And with us not having kids, the problem of christenings hasn't arisen. (Although I would imagine my mum would be very miffed. She's a real Christianity enthusiast.)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i had to go to first communion on sunday.. it was a family thing with free food..
the mass is so firmly engraved upon my memory that i do things automatically, even after all this time! thats catholic guilt for you. do something right in church, and you STILL feel guilty.
Debaser
Overbomber

Catholics..they only love you when your dead! I went to my first Catholic funeral a couple of months ago and it was beautiful ( in a 'im not religious type of way)

Pity you're made to feel so guilty and damned whilst your alive though.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

the weddings are beautiful too, but i'm a sucker for a good one.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

My first job after I qualified was a private hosptail run by monks. If I can get past that crap then I'm sure you can. My attitude to it was those people still needed looking after. Same as your situation really, those kids still need teaching. You've got to ask yourself this...You wanna go for a city school, where ok, no religion is involved, but I'm sure it would be a horrible place to work. Or a nice little religious school, where, ok. there are certain aspects of it that you don't agree with, but I can't imagine that everything you'll be required to teach you'd agree with. I could be wrong here, but wouldn't they be better schools in themselves? Better support, better behaved children etc?

It's not like the army is it? You don't have to sign up for a number of years, IMHO, it would be a good start for you, somewhere nice and quiet to get your foot on the ladder.

I also thing if you weren't slightly tempted, you wouldn't have posted this.

Get thinking about it seriously girl!!
Last edited by Mrs RicheyJames on 31 May 2005, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
Only a paand.
hallucienate
Overbomber

The christenings are pure hell. I had to attend my god son's. Having DJed until the about 5:00 am the night before I wasn't really up for a 9:00 am service. As the godfather I had to go up to the alter, cast out Satan and other stuff. :roll:

I wonder if my sister still has the video :innocent:
Francis
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:At least Kerry isn't religious either. We didn't get married in church, but then again we didn't get married anywhere ;)
And with us not having kids, the problem of christenings hasn't arisen. (Although I would imagine my mum would be very miffed. She's a real Christianity enthusiast.)
Pam's not exactly a churchgoer, though she does talk to the Jehovah's Witnesses when they call. But that's because she's far too nice to slam the door in their face like most of us. She wanted Luke christened more as a traditional rite-of-passage than anything spiritual. As for my Mother. Well, that's a whole different can of worms.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Francis wrote:She wanted Luke christened more as a traditional rite-of-passage than anything spiritual.
I guess that's fair enough.

My objection would be that I'd be a hypocrite to stand up there and promise to bring up a child in a religion that I disagree with quite fundamentally.
Francis wrote:As for my Mother. Well, that's a whole different can of worms.
:lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Mrs RicheyJames wrote:My first job after I qualified was a private hosptail run by monks. If I can get past that crap then I'm sure you can. My attitude to it was those people still needed looking after. Same as your situation really, those kids still need teaching. You've got to ask yourself this...You wanna go for a city school, where ok, no religion is involved, but I'm sure it would be a horrible place to work. Or a nice little religious school, where, ok. there are certain aspects of it that you don't agree with, but I can't imagine that everything you'll be required to teach you'd agree with. I could be wrong here, but wouldn't they be better schools in themselves? Better support, better behaved children etc?

It's not like the army is it? You don't have to sign up for a number of years, IMHO, it would be a good start for you, somewhere nice and quiet to get your foot on the ladder.

I also thing if you weren't slightly tempted, you wouldn't have posted this.

Get thinking about it seriously girl!!

Diana in talking sense shocker!!!!

I'm impressed. Intelligent and considered too.

Now post something stupid and vain to restore the Status Quo
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk