ARRGGHHH

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.

Suit Or Not

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 22
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

thanks for the advice guys!

I got the job! :D
hallucienate
Overbomber

yay!
ruffers
Overbomber

Gary wrote:thanks for the advice guys!

I got the job! :D
Congratulations!

So what's the internet personal use policy then ? :lol:
Chucking another log on
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sisxbeforedawn wrote:deffo suite but have to disagree with Mr Fiend about the hair. I cut my hair and within a week I was promoted :evil: maybe things have moved on, but still think there's a lot of people out there with small minds who'll judge you on looks alone :evil:
Fair enough. Maybe I was lucky :lol:

Re: ties
I can see that if you've got to wear one then you don't have a choice, but why the fnck would anyone voluntarily wear a tie? :eek: :?

I ain't puttin' mah neck in no noose for no-one. ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sisxbeforedawn

YAYY! you got the job 8)
I met a devil woman, she took my heart away
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

welcome to the world of corporate whoredom. please check your soul, principles and individuality in at the door. with less baggage you'll climb the greasy pole quicker.
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

Couldn't have put it better myself.
[size=9:7c190484cc]Johnny Boy - JB - Loki - Johnny M

Heartland 14 Jul 03 - 05 Aug 06.[/size:7c190484cc]
mik
Chameleons Guru

Johnny M wrote:Yep, suit. Tie not neccessary as open neck shirt is perfectly acceptable in business today.
Get. The. f**k. Out.

Maybe it's acceptable in Hoxton design agencies but certainly not anywhere serious or professional.

I look absolutely fabulous in a suit, but then I do have the figure for it (DAMN my vanity 8) ) which is why I currently have eight of them; six of them hand made by a brilliant tailor, George Lilley ("Kristoffers by George" on Kirkstall Road in Leeds, near the Warner Village) the latest being, for me, a rare foray into two piece suits (I usually get a three piece but wanted something a little cooler for summer) a closely fitted black pinstripe with a very nice grape lining. Three button, inside ticket pocket, no vents (naff), four button cuffs (proper ones, not just show buttons), trousers with singlke pleat and no turn-ups (beyond naff).

Cool. As.

I get all my shirts from Tyrwhitts which whilst not exactly chep last forever. Got about 20 of 'em. Always double cuffs and cufflinks, never buttons and no pockets or monograms (naff naff naff!!!).

Ties from wherever, got about 40 or 50 of them. Learn to tie more than one knot - I can do about four - so your knot doesn't slip or look like you've got a pair of socks under your chin.

If not going with plain socks to match your suit, try to match to your tie. Never ever wear white or sports socks or, god forbid, no socks at all. Don Johnson looked like a c**t back in the 80's and that was in Florida with a Ferrari so on the bus in Barnsley it's really not going to look good.

Get a decent pair of shoes and look after them; no point in having a great suit and a pair of clashing hush puppies: what are you? a social working vegan hippy or a business professional for gods sake!

Just as well I'm not in charge of the dress code at work really....

I spent 14 months working on projects at B&Q in Eastleigh and they run a completely casual dress policy. It felt wrong to me but there you are. :?
Something pithy.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

As always, it depends on the job and the company - you're trying to show that you're the right person for them and you're going to fit in with their working environment.

If they all wear suits and you turn up casual then you're going to look 'wrong' and probably won't get past stage 1, regardless of how hip and trendy your clothes are.

If they all wear casual clothes and you turn up in a suit then you're going to look 'wrong' and probably won't get past stage 1, regardless of the number of buttons on your suit cuffs and the particular style of lining.

Personally I've never worked anywhere where I've needed to wear a suit - those places are rapidly becoming the exception rather than the norm (apart from the blood-sucking facile and soulless world of sales and marketing, where appearance is everything and the character from American Psycho is the role model. Hell has a special place for salesmen*. :twisted: ).

* Edit: Hell also has a special place for anyone who refers to themself as an 'entrepreneur' because they think it sounds impressive. At least most salesmen know they're scum. :lol:
Gary

RicheyJames wrote:welcome to the world of corporate whoredom. please check your soul, principles and individuality in at the door. with less baggage you'll climb the greasy pole quicker.
LOL, thanks for the tips ;)

Internet use policy.. well As far as I can tell.. Im in charge of that :D what crazy person gave me all this responsibility!
mwhahahahahaha
mik
Chameleons Guru

lazarus corporation wrote:... regardless of the number of buttons on your suit cuffs and the particular style of lining.
What! I've been had :evil:
Something pithy.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

mik wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote:... regardless of the number of buttons on your suit cuffs and the particular style of lining.
What! I've been had :evil:
they saw you coming....

not surprising in a pin-stripe suit with "grape" lining though is it? ;) :lol: :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

Congratulations Gary ;D
lazarus corporation wrote:Personally I've never worked anywhere where I've needed to wear a suit - those places are rapidly becoming the exception rather than the norm (apart from the blood-sucking facile and soulless world of sales and marketing, where appearance is everything and the character from American Psycho is the role model. Hell has a special place for salesmen*. :twisted: ).
You can probably add certain sectors of the legal profession to this :lol: :lol: :lol:
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
_emma_
Overbomber

Jesus Christ, reading all of this I start to feel so happy living in this poor country where average income is ridiculously small compared to the rest of Europe, but at least in the majority of jobs people are allowed to dress as they wish. :notworthy:
(I'm wearing bright pink fingernails, bright turquoise skirt, pink shoes and the militant sex machine t-shirt today. :twisted: )
culprit

_emma_ wrote:(I'm wearing bright pink fingernails, bright turquoise skirt, pink shoes and the militant sex machine t-shirt today. :twisted: )
what a look!! :notworthy:

It's my business so I wear what I want, some days in the mood for a suit, sometimes jeans.

well done Gary!!!
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
smiscandlon
Overbomber

_emma_ wrote:Jesus Christ, reading all of this I start to feel so happy living in this poor country where average income is ridiculously small compared to the rest of Europe, but at least in the majority of jobs people are allowed to dress as they wish. :notworthy:
(I'm wearing bright pink fingernails, bright turquoise skirt, pink shoes and the militant sex machine t-shirt today. :twisted: )
Nice.

Dress down day at work today so:

Black shirt
Black jeans
Black belt
Black boots

and, um...

A pair of dancin' Homer Simpson socks.

Boogie woogie.
анархия
scotty
Overbomber

smiscandlon wrote:
_emma_ wrote:Jesus Christ, reading all of this I start to feel so happy living in this poor country where average income is ridiculously small compared to the rest of Europe, but at least in the majority of jobs people are allowed to dress as they wish. :notworthy:
Nice.

Dress down day at work today so:

Black shirt
Black jeans
Black belt
Black boots

and, um...

A pair of dancin' Homer Simpson socks.

Boogie woogie.
same old red rentokil overalls for me,but beneath,a sisters of mercy '1985'Tshirt!Oh yes! :notworthy:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Big Si
School Bully

Today my Boss wrote:(Tayside Accent) You do know it's dress down day, today, Simon?
in reply 'The Big Man' wrote:Yes! That's why I dressed up! ("Now please do kindly f*** off", he hinted)
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis