mpeg to dvd programs?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Petseri
Overbomber

I am asking for help when it comes to converting .mpgs to DVD. A bunch of questions cpome to mind: What program would you recommend? Can it handle multiple clips on one DVD? Menu capabilities? Can a video be divided up esily into indexed tracks (i.e skip to next song in live footage)? Deal with PAL and NTSC? Does the converion leave a notable loss of quality? Can it convert .avis to DVD as well? Download trials available?

Basically, I would like to copy some files onto DVDs. It shoudl be for concert footage as well as for home videos. I figured that the lot around here may have some recommendations. Currently use XP (no, not an endorsement, just a statement of fact).
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Hi Martin. Check the Traders Den technobabble forum. Or http://www.videohelp.com/ 8)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well, on a mac I use Toast by Roxio and they do a product called Easy Media Creator. It's $100 but you can probably find a free version online somewhere (NB I am in no way condoning software piracy :innocent:)

*Edit to add: cross-posted with far more useful info from Karst :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dan
Overbomber

Nero should be able to do it. Just drag & drop the files and bob's your uncle.
jenzi-benzi
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

if you want to concert *.avi files into mpeg2 (dvd) files i recomend "cucusoft avi to VCD SVCD, DVD converter: http://www.cucusoft.com (free trail version)
dont bother me with async voices......
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I've been using WINAvi for converting DivX files onto DVD, although as Dan says there is some pretty good software included with Nero called Nerovision Express that will do menus and stuff.
I've used it already to put all the NIN videos from their website onto DVD with very good results.
24.24.2.489 Deceased