Live8

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
aims
Overbomber

Oi, I'll have you know I've finished for this year ¬.¬ Oh the joy of GCSEs and the ensuing holiday. Just give me these 11 weeks to myself and then you can laugh at me struggling with my maths homework for the next 2 years ;)

I'm quite happy to snigger at Snoop's rude words, but what I found much more amusing was seeing Sir Macca nodding his head to the performance :P

And the interview afterwards was just surreal. I didn't realise people actually spoke like that off stage :innocent:
canon docre
Overbomber

Ed Rhombus wrote:It's a great day when we get to hear the optimistic people speak.

Pessimistic or music obsessive - take a back seat, you've missed then point.

Floyd made the day for me
Roger Waters wrote:the cynics will scoff, screw 'em
:notworthy:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
James Blast
Banned

Anything that can reunite 4 grumpy, old, litigeous bastards on one stage has to be a good thing, whether it be those 4 or some other types. Life is too short to hold grudges, WAKE UP!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

I'm with you guys and gals - Comfortably Numb. As in 92 at the NEC, words failed me. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
Francis
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:if its any consolation i sang along to redemption song.i even put aside my caustic commentary and pop-induced ill-temper for a moment.
One more time:

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our minds

The original Saint Bob :notworthy:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Black Biscuit
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

[quote="Quiff Boy"]having mariah carey on was very poor taste.

i think they f**ked up inviting her.

i except that she's probably bankrupt herself by now, after the last few failed records....

and if they're going to let a dumb-ass f**k like beckham open his mouth in front of x million viewers they should have at least gone through his little speech and corrected all the grammatical errors. i mean, we know he's a fuckwit, but the world at large doesn't need to be reminded that our football team's captain can barely string a sentence together.

dear oh dear. [quote]

--- Well, there's hope for wannabes everywhere! Being famous is really, really easy. Anyone could do it - if they can.
.... there is no semblance of rock 'n roll around here!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

After the London Hyde Park Live8 concert, the performers all sat down together at The Dorchester hotel for a £64000 banquet.

Make Poverty History :roll:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Delilah
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:After the London Hyde Park Live8 concert, the performers all sat down together at The Dorchester hotel for a £64000 banquet.

Typical! :?
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

To find what truth there might be in that blanket statement, you would have to quantify it. Otherwise it’s no different to accepting that FrontPage of the Sun with always be correct!

For starters, it can't have been all the performers as a lot had other gigs that night in various venues across Europe, unless of course the Dorch has kept all of them doggy bags. What time did it kick off? 1am?

Who is the source? “our man in the potwash�

How many people were catered for?
Who paid?
Was it rounded up to £64000 to include a tip?

Full steam ahead to Wednesday!
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

markfiend wrote:After the London Hyde Park Live8 concert, the performers all sat down together at The Dorchester hotel for a £64000 banquet.

more a case of "make 'make poverty history' history...and pass the port/cocaine".

scum.

one last fag;up against the wall;bang,bang,bang.
:twisted:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Judging by your copy and the sentiments of your 'final solution' for those who you disapprove of, I'd guess The Sun would offer you a job on the spot
Ed Rhombus

www.rhombus-rock.com
christophe
Overbomber

fùck live8 :evil: it made me mis the kaiser chiefs and made me wait for Audioslave
Another Shade of You.
eastmidswhizzkid

Ed Rhombus wrote:Judging by your copy and the sentiments of your 'final solution' for those who you disapprove of, I'd guess The Sun would offer you a job on the spot
they probably would,however i would have to tell them where to stick it.(presumably where their "news"paper fails to shine).
...maybe "the star" though... :lol:

and please dont think this would be my 'final'solution.i like to think that my imagination would stretch to something a little more entertaining.
crucifixion (roman-style) is far more excruciating and can last for days;and unlike bullets,the nails can be re-cycled.

nor would this be my 'solution' for everyone i disapprove of.for example:the monarchy would definitely deserve beheading.not "madame guillotine" perhaps;fairly swift and too impersonal for my liking.however a large,shiny axe and an inexperienced executioner (so "by the time he's finished you dont so much need a spike as a toast rack") would be in keeping with ye olde traditiones of merrye olde england.

politicians-one from each lampost,on cheesewire,by the neck until dead.(posthumous gibbeting -to warn others against attempting to usurp the freedom of the individual-would look good on postcards).

i could go on but i've no time.far too busy growing a toothbrush moustache and goose-stepping to the tune of "she'll be coming round the mountain" :roll: .

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Everyone has a "better dead" list, surely?

Anyhoo, I note with dismay that my "£64000 banquet" claim may not actually be true. I forget where it came from but attempts to verify it have so far failed.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Everyone has a "better dead" list, surely?

Anyhoo, I note with dismay that my "£64000 banquet" claim may not actually be true. I forget where it came from but attempts to verify it have so far failed.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
You're a gent Mark.

Since Roger Waters has been back on the scene, I seem to have re-connected with my anger state.
Ed Rhombus

www.rhombus-rock.com
James Blast
Banned

time for me to say The Pink Floyd, I think :D :D :D

I'm still smiling
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Ed Rhombus wrote:Since Roger Waters has been back on the scene, I seem to have re-connected with my anger state.
It was very strange seeing Gilmour and Waters next to each other - the impression I got was they are both leaders. Seeing 'Pink Floyd' come up on the credits with Roger on stage was also strange - as I see DG, NM and RW as being the Floyd now/recently. Gilmour and Mason re-built the band and it must have involved alot of sacrifice to agree to Roger playing. But such was the passion of Bob Geldof.

But it showed that anything is possible. And it's good to talk.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:

more a case of "make 'make poverty history' history...and pass the port/cocaine".

scum.

What did you expect these people to do?
Queue up and eat Soup and sandwiches and pretend they're poor?
The problem to be resolved here, as far as I can see, is governments.
Corrupt African governments, and apathetic western governments.
Its nothing to do with Madonna's eating habits.
eastmidswhizzkid

Ocean Moves wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:

scum.

What did you expect these people to do?
Queue up and eat Soup and sandwiches and pretend they're poor?
The problem to be resolved here, as far as I can see, is governments.
Corrupt African governments, and apathetic western governments.
Its nothing to do with Madonna's eating habits.
i don't expect anybody to do anything.i only judge people by their actions.which in this case seem to have been erroneously reported-see markfiends post above and Von's first law of the internet.
however,hypothetically assuming that they did indeed feast on a £64000 banquet,then i think their actions could quite reasonably be said to be insensitive at best.downright hypocrisy and "i'm alright Jack,pull the ladder up" at worst.after patting themselves on the back for being 'right-on';after broadcasting pictures of starving,impoverished,exploited africans all day to prick OUR consciences to do something for this cause-which,incidentally,i think is a wonderful and necessary thing- to then publically flaunt their own wealth is in despicably poor taste.

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Incidentally, the Live8 appearances don't seem to have done anyone's record sales any harm...

Clicky

...apart from Pete Doherty :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

From Sky News -

FLOYD LIVE 8 CASH PLEDGE

Pink Floyd have pledged to donate all profits made as a result of last weekend's Live 8 concert to charity and urged other performers to do the same.

The legendary band reformed especially for the gig after more than 20 years of hostility.

Their album sales have rocketed, with fans flocking to record stores to buy copies of the band's greatest hits album.

Sales of Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd are up 1,343% at HMV, but guitarist David Gilmour said he would not profit from the smash hit show.

"Though the main objective has been to raise consciousness and put pressure on the G8 leaders, I will not profit from the concert," he said in a statement.

"If on Thursday the G8 leaders tick the right three boxes at Gleneagles then the main objective will have been fulfilled.

"If other artists feel like donating their extra royalties to charity, perhaps then the record companies could be persuaded to make a similar gesture and that would be a bonus.

"This is money that should be used to save lives."

Gilmour is no stranger to charity. In 2003 he sold his London home for £3m and gave all the money to a project for the homeless.

The Who and Annie Lennox also registered massive increases.

Every act who played at Hyde Park on Saturday received a sales boost - except for Pete Doherty.
Ed Rhombus

www.rhombus-rock.com
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

fair play to mr gilmour and co. :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ed Rhombus wrote:Gilmour is no stranger to charity. In 2003 he sold his London home for £3m and gave all the money to a project for the homeless.
I knew that.

Apparently the full story goes something like this: Shelter (or possibly some other charitable organisation for the homeless) wanted to build/buy/renovate a place in New York and called round their list of "big donors."

Charity worker: "Hello, Mr Gilmour? Mr D Gilmour?" (explanation of the project.)
Dave: "OK, I'll fly over to New York and take a look."
Charity worker: "What? You'll fly over? Wow!"

So Dave Gilmour flies over to New York to meet the project overseers, and they say "Wow so you're Dave Gilmour from Pink Floyd, we had no idea!"
Dave: "Yeah, whatever, how much money do you need?"
Project Managers: "£3mill."
Dave: "OK, give me a week to sell my London flat and you can have the money."
Project Managers: ":notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:"

That's more or less what I heard anyway. Pretty impressive.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

Quiff Boy wrote:fair play to mr gilmour and co. :notworthy:
wot he said. :notworthy:

James Blast
Banned

and then he said...

God money I’ll do anything for you.
God money just tell me what you want me to.
God money nail me up against the wall.
God money don’t want everything he wants it all.

No you can’t take it
No you can’t take it
No you can’t take that away from me
No you can’t take it
No you can’t take it

Head like a hole.
Black as your soul.
I’d rather die than give you control.
Head like a hole.
Black as your soul.

Bow down before the one you serve.
You’re going to get what you deserve.

God money’s not looking for the cure.
God money’s not concerned with the sick among the pure.
God money let’s go dancing on the backs of the bruised.
God money’s not one to choose
No you can’t take it
No you can’t take it
No you can’t take it
No you can’t take it

Head like a hole.
Black as your soul.
Head like a hole.
Black as your soul.

Head like a hole.
Black as your soul.
Head like a hole.
Black as your soul.

You know who you are.
~ Peter Steele