EBM clubs in Portugal

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
pikkrong
Overbomber

Another ignorant question :)
2 friends of mine - young ladies, one of them is a die-hard fan of Marc Almond / Soft Cell and a big fan of EBM, another is just a fan of all kind of electronic music - will travel to Portugal this autumn (September if I don't mistake) and they are interested if there are any good EBM clubs.
Hey, Moonchild, Deadstars and others - Zigggg - do you know?
dead stars
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

EBM?
That's too much too ask. The community is small so we gather all music afffinities in one place (EBM, goth, black metal, you name it). I recommend a place called Disorder, in Lisbon. (That's the only place where you actually dance.) I have no idea about Oporto anymore. There used to be a place called Heaven but I'm not sure it's still there.
Just follow the people in black that look goth. That's where you'll find EBM.

PS: Give me an example of EBM, a band. Or several.

PS2: Always wanted to ask this. What does EBM stand for? Electro Beat Music?
~dead stars still burn~
Dark
Underneath the Rock

dead stars wrote:PS2: Always wanted to ask this. What does EBM stand for? Electro Beat Music?
IIRC it's "Electronic Body Music" and supposed to be a danceable form of industrial, or a harder form of techno.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I believe that EBM = Electronic Body Music.

Which is no better than it should be IMO.

*Edit: Dark's post wasn't there when I typed the above. Well, at least we both came up with the same answer.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the term was first used to describe bands like nitzer ebb, daf, early die krupps and early front 242.

basically anything that came out on an offshoot of mute records, and that didnt make the charts. :lol:

characterised by lots of percussion (real and machines, playing rhythms and poly-rhythms) and minimalist understated synths for bass and lead, more often than not playing 1-finger riffs.

very stripped down, very energetic and pounding but without having to resort the kind of stuff that current so-called "ebm" uses, which is an abonination, and little more than bad eur-pop techno made by people with no understanding of neither pop nor techno.

as with so many other genre "labels" its very sad how the term has been stolen and used by that god-awful racket that masquerades itself as ebm.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
christophe
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:the term was first used to describe bands like nitzer ebb, daf, early die krupps and early front 242.
it was Front 242 who started to use the term EBM.
at the time the band was playing some of the first electronic music butt they playd it with a beat so you could actually dance on it (this was long ago people)
Techno didn't exactly came from EBM but they got the same electronic history.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote: very stripped down, very energetic and pounding but without having to resort the kind of stuff that current so-called "ebm" uses, which is an abonination, and little more than bad eur-pop techno made by people with no understanding of neither pop nor techno.
One reason why my friends and I stopped going to the goth night in Norwich - none of the music they played was actually goth. They had a token 80's goth set and I asked the DJ why it wasn't longer and he just gave me a bit of a sneery look :eek:
dead stars
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:the term was first used to describe bands like nitzer ebb, daf, early die krupps and early front 242.
Electronic Body Music.
Ok. Thanks.
I just call it electronic.
Disorder in Lisbon is the place to go.
If they are not going to Lisbon tell me the place where they are going and I'll ask around.
~dead stars still burn~
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:...and he just gave me a bit of a sneery look :eek:
An arrogant and superior DJ? God forbid.