Right then you miserable lot.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

Bring It On!
I'm sure between myself, Andrew S and Big Si we can organise summat
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Bring It On!
Oh the hardsihp! :) Whenabouts in September do you have in mind?
Francis
Overbomber

Andrew S wrote:
James Blast wrote:Bring It On!
Oh the hardsihp! :) Whenabouts in September do you have in mind?
Any Saturday's good for me. I guess you'd better check with the Big Man when the hoops are playing away.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Francis
Overbomber

Francis wrote:Match postponed until tomorrow circa 8pm in the Fenton. All welcome. Especially you. If you get there before me, mine's a bottle of Thunderbird Red. Or, failing that, a large barley wine.
And lo, the WendyHouse beckonned, and past the heathen's house of worship we strolled, into the warm heart of fellows. But then they played the Darkness followed by far too much hands in the air ravey sh!te wank. So I went upstairs, where I knew I wouldn't comprehend. Yet the bar was more accessible and the clientelle waaay more attractive. So I enjoyed the dance of some Haven Holidays glow-in-the-dark knuckle dusters, and finally dragged my sorry arse off to the nearest taxi rank. The Jameses were, as always, hospitality personnified. :notworthy:

Groovy.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Francis wrote: But then they played the Darkness followed by far too much hands in the air ravey sh!te wank.
That's why I stopped going there. Nice to see things haven't changed. :|
The Scene won't save you...
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:sounds like you're having the same problem I have rounding up MacHeartlanders :roll:
Hides in shame..... :oops:
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
Francis
Overbomber

And I've just remembered telling the lass stood behind me waiting for the toilet that she was in the wrong queue. He assured me he wasn't. :eek: :oops: :lol: :roll:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Scardwel wrote:
Francis wrote: But then they played the Darkness followed by far too much hands in the air ravey sh!te wank.
That's why I stopped going there. Nice to see things haven't changed. :|
Ditto.

Well, that and the toilets. :urff:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

exactly.

playing "this corrosion" about 10.30pm does not an alternative night make.

"a-ha and brittney spears were popular when we played them as last record the other week, so i know! lets just play them all night long from now on!"

lazy DJing of the highest order.

its a f**king rubbish club these days, and i'd rather eat my arm than go there again. its insulting that they dare claim its an "alternative" night anymore :urff:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Francis
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:its a f**king rubbish club these days, and i'd rather eat my arm than go there again. its insulting that they dare claim its an "alternative" night anymore :urff:
Which is a shame because as venues go, it's pretty damn impressive. Maybe too big to fill without veering towards the musical mainstream? Or is there a lack of alternative music these days? In the 80s they used to be able to fill the Polytechnic's enormous warehouse of a 'disco' every Wednesday and I'm pretty sure they never had to resort to the equivalent of Britney Spears or 10 year old 'hits'.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the small room in the cockpit on a saturday plays more goth than the wendy house ever does or ever did.

sisters, joy division, banshees, cure, new model army, chameleons, etc etc etc as well as older cool and/ or "indie" stuff such as the smiths, pixies, pulp, happy mondays, stone roses, puressence, suede, radiohead, buzzcocks, the clash, ramones, iggy, bowie, etc

they also play a bit of newer stuff - all that faux NYC 70s nonsense thats popular these days - but you can put up with it because you know there's going to be a run of at least 4 more good songs coming very soon :lol:

overall its a much, much better night out.

you feel like you've been listening to "good" music, not tacky s**t like @ wendy house.

its such a shame that leeds' goth population dont go there - if they went en masse they could persuade the dj to play goth stuff and other cool ALL night without too much hassle (him being that way inclined himself) :roll:
scotty
Overbomber

Think yourselves lucky you'v' even got a BAD club to go to!
without a near 300 mile round trip to Edinburgh or Glasgow it's the "Gay Gordons"and the "Dashing white Sergent" for us up here! :lol:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Francis
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:the small room in the cockpit on a saturday plays more goth than the wendy house ever does or ever did.

sisters, joy division, banshees, cure, new model army, chameleons, etc etc etc as well as older cool and/ or "indie" stuff such as the smiths, pixies, pulp, happy mondays, stone roses, puressence, suede, radiohead, buzzcocks, the clash, ramones, iggy, bowie, etc
Sounds the business. :D
ruffers
Overbomber

scotty wrote:Think yourselves lucky you'v' even got a BAD club to go to!
without a near 300 mile round trip to Edinburgh or Glasgow it's the "Gay Gordons"and the "Dashing white Sergent" for us up here! :lol:
So does this :lol: :lol:
Chucking another log on
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ruffers wrote:
So does this :lol: :lol:
all sounds a bit "withnail and i" to me :lol:
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

Quiff Boy wrote:exactly.

playing "this corrosion" about 10.30pm does not an alternative night make.

"a-ha and brittney spears were popular when we played them as last record the other week, so i know! lets just play them all night long from now on!"

lazy DJing of the highest order.

its a f**king rubbish club these days, and i'd rather eat my arm than go there again. its insulting that they dare claim its an "alternative" night anymore :urff:
hmmm... i'd heard a lot of this sort of thing before our glorious return to the people's republic and wasn't especially looking forward to returning to das vendyhaus last month. and yet i had an okay time. and then this month i had a great time. now, many boozes were drunk but i don't recall hearing ms spears at all. or a-ha (but then what's wrong with a-ha? i thought wh had always played a smattering of 80s pop?). yes, they played the darkness but it was only once and anyway, i like the darkness. i do know that i danced a lot more on saturday than i ever expected to. i'd love to tell you what i danced to but i honestly can't remember (those damned boozes again). i'm pretty damn sure it wasn't the sort of cheesy pop i was warned made up the bulk of the playlist though. and i don't remember much goff crap either but then when did "alternative" become synonymous with goff? in fact wh's own website says:
das vendyhaus wrote:It's not really a Goth night. We never intended it to be just that. We run a very fun night to be at, with a huge friendly crowd and a massive party atmosphere.
obviously it's not for everyone (and for what it's worth the saturday night thingummy at the cockpit sounds great too) but as far as i can see it's not changed an awful lot in seven years. maybe they went through a bad patch at some point and alienated a section of their punters?

just in case you're wondering, i have no affiliation whatsoever with the wendyhouse (although i did vaguely know glenn (promoter and dj of wh) way back when). just thought i'd redress the balance a little based on my own recent experiences
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

fair play ;)

last few times i've been i just got sick of hearing the darkness, bon jovi and queen.

the whole "party" thing has been taken too far and they've sacrificed playing *any* real tunes for the sake of playing schtoopid novelty s**t for the kids to dance too, without any trace of irony.

*shudder*

nonetheless, i shant be going back this side of, oooooh, 2098. ;)
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

Talking of which, I'm going to Mull on Thursday and am hoping to talk my friends into going to a ceilidh in Tobermory on Friday night. I enjoy such things on the odd occasion although I'm worse than useless at dancing. I managed to single-handedly trash Strip The Willow at my cousin's wedding and my (irritatingly patriotic) sister was mortified :lol:
scotty
Overbomber

Andrew S wrote:
Talking of which, I'm going to Mull on Thursday and am hoping to talk my friends into going to a ceilidh in Tobermory on Friday night. I enjoy such things on the odd occasion although I'm worse than useless at dancing. I managed to single-handedly trash Strip The Willow at my cousin's wedding and my (irritatingly patriotic) sister was mortified :lol:
Aye,a ceilidh is a great night out,but they'r' on more often than "Eastenders"up here,and bugger all else for two thirtysomethings into "our" kinda music :x .Hope you get to your ceilidh,the more drunk you get the worse you dance,the worse you dance the better laugh you'll have
in my experience! :lol:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

What's wrong with having fun ffs?
Only a paand.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Aren't we a sorry mob? Out here on the frontier, WH is some kind of Mecca compared to our hovel, which guarantees one or two Darkness tracks every Friday/Saturday night. I think the greatest occasion was Temple, JD's Love Will..., and then a vague Cure track. That essentially exhausted their ability to play anything made before 1992 for about the next four weeks.

Depress me not, QB! I need something to dream about...
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

will you lot stop moaning about Darkness tracks? just for me?
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

WARNING: Whale Smilie.

^__________________________________________________________________^
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

British Whale?
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
James Blast
Banned

James Whale and that interview with a former Sisters guitarist?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele