War of the worlds

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

now I went to see this last week,
my brother assured me that it 'just ends', and ''its ok' - 4/10.
he's not a sci fi fan, but i thought it was ace. would have
given it 8/10... bits of it were downright frightening.

and as for it "just ending", well, thats what it does. they all die.
from bacteria. thats the original story.

what'd you reckon?
ruffers
Overbomber

Oh, I won't bother going now.

Thanks for that.
Chucking another log on
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It's not exactly a spoiler though is it? I thought War Of The Worlds was well-known enough that the ending (of the book anyway) is fairly common knowledge?

Towards the end of Titanic the boat sinks. Is that going to stop you watching it? ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

And in most films concerning Jesus, he tends to get 'dun in' towards the end
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
ruffers
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:It's not exactly a spoiler though is it? I thought War Of The Worlds was well-known enough that the ending (of the book anyway) is fairly common knowledge?

Towards the end of Titanic the boat sinks. Is that going to stop you watching it? ;)
It sinks! Scratch that one as well then :lol: (Never seen it)
Chucking another log on
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Best not mention The Crow. He dies, but it's all very aesthetic. One of my favourite, non-comedy, films
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

No, don't mention The Crow. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I quite enjoyed the film actually, nice little additions from the book itself and the first film they made of it. I think it's about time they made a film of the story set in England or would that be too difficult? :wink:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:No, don't mention The Crow. :lol:
nope.

i've said it before and i'll say it again. its just "death wish" for goths.

:lol: :wink:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

Ocean Moves wrote:now I went to see this last week,

what'd you reckon?
I was surprised by how good the movie was
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

BillyBadBreaks wrote:
Ocean Moves wrote:now I went to see this last week,

what'd you reckon?
I was surprised by how good the movie was
likewise. edge of the seat stuff. by the end of it my chest hurt from not breathing out for long periods of time :lol:

last time i felt like that was after the first lord of the rings - 3 hours of running away!:o :lol:
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

Paul went to see it and said it was ok - no surprises, but then there wouldn't be :eek: Apparently very much a Spielburg film and Cruise vehicle. I don't go to the cinema (I have a particular phobia :| ) but will give it a go when its out on DVD
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

went to see it last sunday, but chose for Charlie and the chocolat factory instead... Which was very good! And it's also a very well known(= classic) book! The Johnny Depp-Tim Burton couple is way cooler than Spielberg-Cruise :innocent:

War of the worlds is next on my list ...
in dub we trust
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

radiojamaica wrote:went to see it last sunday, but chose for Charlie and the chocolat factory instead... Which was very good!
Glad you enjoyed it! However I saw a trailer for it while waiting for WOTW to start and was afraid that Johnny Depp might be too camp. I am a big fan of the original film with Gene Wilder you see :wink:
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:went to see it last sunday, but chose for Charlie and the chocolat factory instead... Which was very good!
Glad you enjoyed it! However I saw a trailer for it while waiting for WOTW to start and was afraid that Johnny Depp might be too camp. I am a big fan of the original film with Gene Wilder you see :wink:
Put Burton and Depp together and you get Edward Scissorhands :eek: that puts me off. I love Depp but Burton gets too sentimental for me every now and then:-

Beetlejuice ( :P )
Scissorhands ( :( )
Sleepy Hollow ( :P )
Nightmare Before Christmas ( :( )

.......get my drift :lol:
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Black Alice wrote:Beetlejuice ( :P )

Yes! Good point BA :notworthy:
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

:evil: Go watch SAW you idiots or has no one heard of it :?:
:evil: DON'T even think that is a link :!:
Who is bugging me?!
MB
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I enjoyed WotW, but was a little confused, so let me run this past you lot:

The Martians came to earth before American cities were built and buried a load of tripod machines, so that they could wait until mankind had invented tanks, nuclear weapons and jet aircraft until they invade?

Why's that then - to give us a sporting chance?

In the earlier film the tripod machines came down in the meteor thingies, which made far more sense.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Black Alice wrote:
Brideoffrankenstein wrote:
Put Burton and Depp together and you get Edward Scissorhands :eek: that puts me off. I love Depp but Burton gets too sentimental for me every now and then:-

Beetlejuice ( :P )

Johnny Depp... too camp?! :lol: Very!!!

You didn't like the Nightmare before christmas???? :?
Then you surely mustn't go to Charlie & ... because there is some sentimental stuff about family and sticking to it
... but, as I was still recovering from Saturday escapades, I lurved it big time :innocent:
in dub we trust
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

radiojamaica wrote:You didn't like the Nightmare before christmas?
No - sorry - way too much for me :urff:
radiojamaica wrote:Then you surely mustn't go to Charlie & ... because there is some sentimental stuff about family and sticking to it
Saw an interview with Tim Burton last night and he mentioned the "family" ending and I must say that did put me off a little - too much of a cynic I s'pose :D
radiojamaica wrote: ... but, as I was still recovering from Saturday escapades, I lurved it big time
whatever gets you through hangovers/ come downs can't be all bad ;D
scotty
Overbomber

MadameButterfly wrote::evil: Go watch SAW you idiots or has no one heard of it :?:
Who is bugging me?!
MB
The recent film "saw"?,didn't think Depp was in it or Burton directed it? :urff:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

MadameButterfly wrote::evil: Go watch SAW you idiots or has no one heard of it :?:
Yep - saw "Saw" - I thought it was a bit run of the mill. Good idea but could have made it far worse than they did. I thought it ended up as a bit of a tabloid horror :roll:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

scotty wrote:
Who is bugging me?!
MB
The recent film "saw"?,didn't think Depp was in it or Burton directed it? :urff:
watched "saw" on sky movies a few weeks back.

good film. made me feel very uncomfortable. in a bad way. which is a good thing, obviously :von:

nowt to do with depp or burton, but a good film, if you like psychological horror.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:last time i felt like that was after the first lord of the rings - 3 hours of running away!:o :lol:
Exactly!
  • Heroes nearly get captured.
    They escape.
    Rinse.
    Repeat.
анархия
James Blast
Banned

I hated Scissorhands and I hate going to the flicks, in Depp's defence I must mention Pirates Of The Caribbean, a modern classic IMO
"Parlez"?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele