pete murphy on tour

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Petseri
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
Motz wrote:Does that include the comments about Joanna Lumley or are they sincere? :innocent:
i'd imagine he meant them.

though why he'd want a woman at least 3ft taller than he i can only dream :lol:
Aren't most women at least three feet taller than he? :innocent:

I'll get me coat...
boudicca
Sister Midnight

STRANGE BUT TRUE no. 47...

When I was on the ship on the way back from Rotterdam - Hull, I heard The Murph being played on the "Sundeck"... the "Holy Smoke" album. I mean it's one of his more commercial outings but still...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I stood there going "Is that... is that... BLOODY HELL!" :lol: :roll:

I mean WTF? This was just a bog-standard P&O ferry, not some kind of goth-cruise! :urff:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

You're lucky. On the plane Leeds/Bradford to Amsterdam they had Erasure playing before take-off. Thankfully they switched it off when we'd all boarded.

And on the plane back we had The Kaiser Chiefs. The band were actually on the plane. Bless.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

markfiend wrote:You're lucky. On the plane Leeds/Bradford to Amsterdam they had Erasure playing before take-off.
Shut it Erasure are good!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Image No. They're poo.

Another deep analysis courtesy of the dancing meerkat
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Give a little RESPECT to them!
;D

That guy out of the Kaiser Chiefs eats too many pies to be in an indie band. :innocent:
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

boudicca wrote:STRANGE BUT TRUE no. 47...

When I was on the ship on the way back from Rotterdam - Hull, I heard The Murph being played on the "Sundeck"... the "Holy Smoke" album. I mean it's one of his more commercial outings but still...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I stood there going "Is that... is that... BLOODY HELL!" :lol: :roll:

I mean WTF? This was just a bog-standard P&O ferry, not some kind of goth-cruise! :urff:
I want to go on a goth cruise :( Will there be lots of effeminite victorian men willing to please me?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Rosalie wrote:I want to go on a goth cruise :( Will there be lots of effeminite victorian men willing to please me?
There might be, but they'll all be up in the bar singing karaoke Abba songs at two o'clock in the morning... :lol:
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

Hahahaha. Fantastic.
Anne Widdecombe sucks.
mik
Chameleons Guru

Great gig :)
Small venue which was by no means full to bursting which seemed a shame, but there you are, and the expected mix of late 30's / early 40's plus the 'Next Generation' of teen and early 20's baby bats.
Support was provided by a competent but second rate Tori Amos type. Good voice but that's about it.
Now; I've got to admit to a small amount of shock when Mr Murphy made the stage, as he's always been this dark, lithe beast with hollow cheeks, but it appears he's been dodging the salads to make space for double cake rations recently :eek: He's not fat by any stretch of the imaginantion, but he's looking comfortable shall we say.
Face is the same though, framed by a cockatiel blonde mohican cut and a fine tache and goatee combo. Shock two of the evening: he's balding quite badly now - similar sort of shock to seeing Geordie on the Killing Joke tour last year with a big baldie spot. It's WRONG and makes ME feel old so STOP GOING BALD.
After those shockers the fact that he was dressed like a bad tranny was neither here nor there really.
But...
The voice. Oh! joy of joys THE VOICE!! As rich, full and sonorous as ever. Toptastic. Played for an hour or so, with songs from throughout his solo career. Encore started out with him solo with a twelve string acoustic for a sublime "Strange kind of love" with the guitarist and bass player joing him on stage during the song to fill in the sound as it grew. Wonderful :)
Final encore was a totally out of the blue but stonking cover of Joy Divisions 'Transmission'.

He seemed to be enjoying himself and was happily saying hello to people in the audience he recognised, including amongst others his brother!

A good evening all in all. :)
Something pithy.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

cant wait for tonight :D :von:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
mik
Chameleons Guru

Note: The guirarist looked oddly familiar so I did a Google on him.

He's Mark Gemini Thwaite and he used to play with The Mish amongst others.

Since other than getting smashed on a fairly regular basis with Mick Brown in The Faversham I know nought about the m*****n I must recognise him from then I guess.

Very good guirarist though, and a dab hand with an e-bow.
Something pithy.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

"dab hand with an e-bow"

then all prior sins are forgiven :lol: :notworthy:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

wow. top gig :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :von:

no point in a review as its pretty much what mik said really.

photos: clicky

Debaser
Overbomber

Debaser wrote:And from the Killing Joke's Gathering mail list..

'Peter Murphy was on Indie 103.1 on Steve Jones's show Jonesy's Juke Box a month ago, and Mr. Murphy said there will be a big surprise this coming Winter.'
You think he means this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20050721_bauhaus.shtml

ooh you find out sooo much on the Killing Joke mailing list
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
canon docre
Overbomber

Peter Murphys show in Berlin was cancelled due to "unexpectingly high fee demands". Whatever that means. The promoter says at least, Mr. Murphy tripled his prize the last second.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Glad you are reading the whole thread.

This is Mark's homepage: http://www.markthwaite.com/

Get hold of his New Disease DVD - its great.

mik wrote:Note: The guirarist looked oddly familiar so I did a Google on him.

He's Mark Gemini Thwaite and he used to play with The Mish amongst others.

Since other than getting smashed on a fairly regular basis with Mick Brown in The Faversham I know nought about the m*****n I must recognise him from then I guess.

Very good guirarist though, and a dab hand with an e-bow.
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

canon docre wrote:Peter Murphys show in Berlin was cancelled due to "unexpectingly high fee demands". Whatever that means. The promoter says at least, Mr. Murphy tripled his prize the last second.
It's par for the course anywhere. Hissy fits and walking away. I have seen a Sisters contract and it's like a phone book sized brick of paper with a 'we will play here' stapled to the front. Two litres of vodka exclusively for AE? The 'The' in TSOM on the billing? Break any of these clauses and the contract is null and void; all reasons to walk away under contract. How many promoters actually read it anyway?.

Pete Murphy never wanted to go to Berlin? Totally nuts ...totally.
[size=9:7c190484cc]Johnny Boy - JB - Loki - Johnny M

Heartland 14 Jul 03 - 05 Aug 06.[/size:7c190484cc]
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Heh. Maybe Von should put in a no brown M&Ms clause like Van Halen.

And to save people the time of reading the linky, no it's not because Van Halen were coked-up rock stars who would go mad if their slightest whim wasn't catered to, it's to check the promoter has read the contract.

If there are brown ones in the M&Ms, then they've not read that particular clause, so will probably not have read other, more important parts of the contract.
—Bertrand Russell