Can YOU change the world?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

I got torn into quite a bit for an opinion I held on a forum that everyone misinterpretd because they like to look down on people.

Basically, it was all about image and all that, and people who are pose with one group of people then suddenly switch over to being "normal" or whatever else their friends have grown into at a certain age, even when they already have a stable job and have no reason to do anything but to fit in and pose with yet another group and how I found it a little annoying and wished people would make their own minds up on things more.

People of course accused me of being an anarchist punk little kiddy whose views they all had before and grew out of, and that I was the poser who only dressed up to fit in because I couldn't express myself with my personality, and various other comments to make them feel superior to me, and missed the point entirely, and thought I was criticisng them because they didn't dress or look quite as funky as they did as they got tired of it, when I was only criticisng people who flip over completely solely for the sake of fitting in and nothing more(there's plenty of them), but people don't like listening to things that aren't in their head very often.

But that's usually not the greatest argument to have, the most interesting point that was raised was that you can't change the world unless you're clean cut and in a suit, which I then tore apart on many levels (Which was obviously ignored).

What do you think to this? I think it's a fallacy, as what ever you're fighting for when you do that, you're also further spreading the ideal that only clean cut guys in suits can change the world. If you shout hard enough, you'll be heard.

This is refinorncing taking people for face value, which is the source of so many of the world's problems, IMO.

Instead, if you go half way, you'll achieve wonderful things.

You can change the world looking a bit different, it just takes a little more effort, effort which people aren't willing to make. They prefer to just look the part, even if they miss the point that if you manage to get heard, you'll also be showing that even people that look a bit different to everyone else have strong ideals and messages to spread, and play down the stereotype of "rebel without a cause". Plus, it's an issue of trust, people learn too readily to trust people in suits who look clean and fancy. Bad, bad idea.

This is all my opinion anyway. I like to gather views on these things, and hope that once in a while I might get someone that gives me some small level of faith in humanity.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm not saying it's right but people do trust "a man in a suit".

If there's opposition to a road-building project, which are people more likely to listen to; a hippy with dreadlocks and a dog on a string camping in the trees to stop them being cut down, or Colonel H. P. J. Bufton-Tufton (retired) who doesn't want his roses ploughed up for the new motorway?

I agree with you that it's not right, but it's the way the world works. Image
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

Yeah, but at the same time the world isn't static either, and the hippie with dreadloks doesn't have to permanently change his appearance just to look believable once in a while. Remember Zach De La Rocha at the UN? Hippie with Dreadlocks. Everyone knows he doesn't normally wear suits, but he still got taken somewhat seriously.

Different people are becoming accepted. We're at the stage where if we can hope to move forward, we need to make it so everyone can lend a hand without compromising themselves. Many people dismiss any "liberal" opinions very readily.

It wouldn't just be a suit in that case, the Hippie would have to undergo a complete indentity change, which is a terribly fake thing to do and will end up having as many negative effects as positive, but some people do it.

As cute as I think Daleks are(who have a billion variations anyway), I don't think humans should strive to look all the same.
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Get your hair cut hippy!
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

I hear that far too often, even though my hair is only a few inches past my shoulders and dyed various shades of red. It is rather large though. When I get money next summer I'll probably get extensions down to my waist.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I like a man in a suit. :von:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
ruffers
Overbomber

Which is worse, not getting anywhere because you don't wear a suit, or achieving what you want by putting one on? Without wishing to sound like our beloved Prime Minister talking about Europe the only real way you can make siginificant change and have influence in most areas is from within. So you play the game to achieve it, is it that much of a problem? Idealism vs results.
Chucking another log on
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

Which is worse, not getting anywhere because you don't wear a suit, or achieving what you want by putting one on?
But the longer you do that, the longer only people in suits can make a difference, and the longer people will take people for face value, thus defeating the point of 90% of what you're trying to achieve, presumably, in the first place.

It's a circle that needs to be broken, as it only leads to corrupt fuckers who *look* trustable getting power.
scotty
Overbomber

It's a fact that if you want to change anything,first you have to be listned to,so buy a suit,cut your hair
and change what you want to!,you can always grow it again.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
ruffers
Overbomber

Rosalie wrote:
Which is worse, not getting anywhere because you don't wear a suit, or achieving what you want by putting one on?
But the longer you do that, the longer only people in suits can make a difference, and the longer people will take people for face value, thus defeating the point of 90% of what you're trying to achieve, presumably, in the first place.
Who are these "people" who are taking "people" at face value then?

Not me, whatever they wear.
Chucking another log on
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

"One has to first enter a room in order to destroy it"
Hell is other people
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

they'll trust the one who looks like he/she has money.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

infiltrate and subvert ;)

far more productive that standing on the outside waving burning torches and blowing whistles.

and you dont need black hair and pointy boots to be a goth.

though it helps :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

Black Dahlia wrote:"One has to first enter a room in order to destroy it"
Nicely put! I'd have said something similar: If you want to win, you have to fight the enemy with his/her own weapons.

One can change the world, and it doesn't necessarily take a suit to do so, depending on where you want to start. I think the main thing is to live according to one's own ideals before one starts to lecture other people. Infact I think lecturing other people doesn't help much at all unless they ask for your opinion on anything.
Last edited by Eva on 21 Jul 2005, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupid.
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

ruffers wrote:
Rosalie wrote:
Who are these "people" who are taking "people" at face value then?

Not me, whatever they wear.
Well, I'm not sure either :P The general public I suppose. But they obviously do exist.
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

scotty wrote:It's a fact that if you want to change anything,first you have to be listned to,so buy a suit,cut your hair
and change what you want to!,you can always grow it again.
Some people don't care, but others, including me, have a very, very strong emotional attatchment to their hair.

It's much easier just to tie it up or buy a wig, though. People are too used to "cutting it" by cutting it.

And yes, hair does grow back. 2-6 years later. Hair doesn't grow as fast for most people as you might think, and there's no guarantee you'll ever be able to grow it back. I used to have very short hair, ated it, it's still only a few inches below my shoulder. 6 years is a long time with hair you hate. Trust me. My hair grows slow. If I had my hair to my waist, it would take about 6 years to grow it from a neat "professional" chin length style. I'm getting extentions but it's not a real substitute, I'll still grow it out.

I think you're still quite missing the point that if someone managed to get listened to looking different, there wouldn't be need for this. But nobody tries. Is it not worth it or something? Do people much rather that everything is done at face value?
Not necessarily true, and you can always enter a room without having to meet it's exact requirements. If you work hard, you can achieve things without having to entirely conform to the "inside's" standards.
and you dont need black hair and pointy boots to be a goth.

though it help
And you don't need to not have them just to prove you don't, either ;) That's something we're far more guilty of these days :P
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

boudicca wrote:I like a man in a suit. :von:
I don't care what you say Rosalie, I'm buying a suit. :lol:
ruffers
Overbomber

Rosalie wrote:
Not necessarily true, and you can always enter a room without having to meet it's exact requirements. If you work hard, you can achieve things without having to entirely conform to the "inside's" standards.
So can you or can't you change things without conforming? Which is it? If you want to change something that much then sacrificing a haircut is no sacrifice at all.

So it comes down to how much one wants to change it really. "Am I prepared to wear a suit and get a haircut to change things from within."
Chucking another log on
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

nick the stripper wrote:
boudicca wrote:I like a man in a suit. :von:
I don't care what you say Rosalie, I'm buying a suit. :lol:
:notworthy: :lol:

And more on topic: I'd very much agree with the 'you can only change from within' opinion... Sometimes it is hard, and you'll have to give away some credibility, but the return can be so much bigger as when you're just protesting while you just know you'll never get anywhere...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Two rules of the universe

1) Suits rock
2) Hippies smell
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Rosalie wrote:Many people dismiss any "liberal" opinions very readily.
Well yeah. And they don't need the excuse of how someone with liberal views might look. Just read Noam Chomsky.

What's the best way of getting your opinions dismissed? Come onto TV looking like a complete weirdo. Especially since most politics is done in an adversarial way not as a consensus. All your opponent need do is say "Don't listen to her she's a right scruff".

OK, it's not a rational argument, but it works. Society judges people by appearance. Get over it.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

So can you or can't you change things without conforming? Which is it? If you want to change something that much then sacrificing a haircut is no sacrifice at all.

So it comes down to how much one wants to change it really. "Am I prepared to wear a suit and get a haircut to change things from within."
I think you're missing the point, still. As long as only "normal" people try to do things, it will only be "normal" people that will be trusted. That's why people need to keep at least a little of their odd appearance, and step it up. That way nobody will outright smack them down, it will just cause people to talk. And before you know it, they do look a bit on the odd side, but they've already made it so it doesn't matter.

Why don't people even try that? They "play the system from the inside" by conforming to it and staying that way, forever. Hardly playing the system, it's more allowing *it* to play you.

Quite frankly, you also have to consider if the people who are judging you so readily are the ones that will listen to you, anyway.

No, I'm never cutting my hair for something like that, nor should it be a measure of determination. It's *harder*, not impossible. Nobody has presented anything solid contrary to that claim. Celebrities can get away with it - so technically, it's possible to do it if you become a celebrity some way or another, first, but that's only one way.

If you come on telly and talk intelligently and knowledgably about a subject while looking a bit odd - aren't people going to be shocked? Isn't that going to make the few that don't immediately turn off sit up and listen? If you can present your views in an extremely solid and intelligent way, it shouldn't matter as much how you look, and if you're doubly smart, you could use the controversy over your massive hair and frilly clothes to your advantage.
People *do* judge by apperance, but not everyone can ignore someone who is skilled and intelligent at what they do.
Nobody even bloody well tries. Or very few, rather. Well f**k that, as soon as I'm out of college *I'm* going to try.

I consider it worth it since one of the main things I'm fighting for is for acceptance of people no matter their appearance or lifestyle.
At the very least, I'm not going to wear a suit. I refuse to give in to shallow judgements of perception.

"get over it" is exactly what causes someone to ignore a problem and think it can be dealth with.
Last edited by Rosalie on 21 Jul 2005, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Thea
Overbomber

Rosalie wrote:

I think you're missing the point, still. As long as only "normal" people try to do things, it will only be "normal" people that will be trusted. That's why people need to keep at least a little of their odd appearance, and step it up. That way nobody will outright smack them down, it will just cause people to talk. And before you know it, they do look a bit on the odd side, but they've already made it so it doesn't matter.

Why don't people even try that? They "play the system from the inside" by conforming to it and staying that way, forever. Hardly playing the system, it's more allowing *it* to play you.

Quite frankly, you also have to consider if the people who are judging you so readily are the ones that will listen to you, anyway.

No, I'm never cutting my hair for something like that, nor should it be a measure of determination. It's *harder*, not impossible. Nobody has presented anything contrary to that claim.
Damn right.
Huzzah for interesting people :notworthy:
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

Right. Different people rock. You don't cut off your hair and throw away your clothes to get "into the room", you just dress up a bit normal-but-fancy, tie up your hair, then when you have people listening to you - boom, you can do what the f**k you like, it will probably get their attention more in the end anyway. THAT'S working the system, none of this "Oh I was a punk I must be a lawyer now" crap. You don't have to dress different to be the different, but you don't have to go to efforts not to just to prove that, either.

Not everyone has to stand out all the time - any freak can easily look somewhat passable without having to make permanent changes, and if people believes them, nobody except the people that didn't like them anyway and the usual anal bastards cares if they stop doing so.
People *love* to jump into what they hate just to prove they can do it, and to not have to put up with all the baggage that comes with it, instead of just dealing with it instead.

It's just natural human fear of their own abilities - can I really do this if I stand out?

People work best being themselves, and always have. A smith happy being a smith is going to be hard pushed to make as good a tailor.

It's nearly always the same bloody people, both actually and logically, that dislike thsoe who don't don all suits and look like a "pro", that halt progress. Sometimes the only way is to act as a battering ram to keep bashing things into their heads until they give up trying to fight decent people.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Look, I'm not disagreeing with you and I'm sorry if you took offence at the "Get over it" line. It was a bit of a throwaway remark and I regret it now.

The funny thing is, I'm sitting here with my hair (that hasn't been cut in maybe 15 years) tied back in a pony-tail, with my piercings in, wearing black T-shirt and jeans, working for a pretty decent wage as a graphic designer (when I'm not pi$$ing about on the Internet).

So yeah, I haven't had to compromise (well, other than tying the hair back) and I'm doing OK. I'm "in the room" I guess.
—Bertrand Russell