Drum Machine?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

I'm looking for a software based drum machine, can't find one.

Can anyone help? I need one that can make a noise when I press a certain key on my keyboard, and sync it to a recording that way.

Thanks.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

You should really just get yourself one of these. You can hook it up yo your synth or to a computer via midi.

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ahh, the sr16. where would a goth band be without an sr16... :lol:

i used to have one of them too :)

and before that was an hr16 which had awful snare and tom sounds but gorgeous hi-hats. mine was actually a hr16b which came with a 909 kick drum sound rather than the standard one, for that techno feel.... :roll: it was pants sounding 909 copy though and i preferred the standard kick drum. but this was back in about 1993 when all things retro where just getting popular so 909s where stupidly expensive and you couldnt get anything else that sounded remotely like one.

i sold it to a guy for 130 quid who said all he wanted was to stick it into his bank of kit and use it solely for the open hi-hat :lol:

however, software based drum machines...

are you running them as a vst plugin to something like cubase, or as a standalone desktop application?

for vst plugins i'd recommend native instrument's battery, or steinberg's LM4

they're both expandable and allow you to drop WAVs into and assign them sounds to certain key presses. i even have a bank of sr16 samples :D :lol:

this is a good site with loads of sound banks for all the major soft-synths and software drum machines: http://www.kvraudio.com/

also, this site has a few links to some bits and bobs but i've no idea how good any of them are:
http://www.synthzone.com/drums.htm

one thing you will need if you are using your pc for music is a decent soundcard - one with good ASIO drivers - otherwise you will ikely have terrible latency (press a key and wait 5 secinds before you hear the sounds coming back!). you can get entry level soundcards with ASIO and zero latency now for less than 50 quid so its not too much of a problem. it used to be that you couldnt get one for less than £150 :urff:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

http://www.kvraudio.com

If you can't find it there, it does not exist ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

I don't have money...

We decided to use a laptop as a drum machine instead, more versatile.
Anne Widdecombe sucks.
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

Rosalie wrote:I don't have money...

We decided to use a laptop as a drum machine instead, more versatile.
Might not do it much good hitting it though........ :)
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Nothing wrong with synth and drum machine software. I just made a nice little version of Ghost Rider for live use.

And no need to go to a studio to record. Rock on. :von: