I want a Pet Fox :|

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

Foxes are great. They're so cute!

Awwwwww...

I want one. I'd hug it and feed it and it'd be my doggie. I'd call it Eldebert the fox, or something like that. It'd be the bestest pet in the world.

I'd quite like a d00m w0lf too, but I hear they're terrible for tearing up furniture. Bless.
Anne Widdecombe sucks.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

I'd call mine Edward.

Or possibly Samantha.
анархия
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

You can't tame a fox. It would be incapable of getting over its innate fear of humans. It's not like a dog that just accepts a human as a surrogate pack-leader (helped by 20-odd thousand years of selective breeding to make them more human-friendly) or a cat that just hangs around humans until someone invents a can-opener operable by paws.

But yeah, they're cute. mrs fiend's mum had one in her back garden yesterday evening. ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
smiscandlon
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:mrs fiend's mum had one in her back garden yesterday evening. ;D
Barbeque?
анархия
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

i don't know who's been doing their pr but they could even teach max clifford a thing or two...
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:You can't tame a fox. It would be incapable of getting over its innate fear of humans. It's not like a dog that just accepts a human as a surrogate pack-leader (helped by 20-odd thousand years of selective breeding to make them more human-friendly) or a cat that just hangs around humans until someone invents a can-opener operable by paws.

But yeah, they're cute. mrs fiend's mum had one in her back garden yesterday evening. ;D
You can tame foxes, actually, I know some people have them as pets. Foxes essentially *are* semi-domesticated wolves, after all.

I prefer wild animals. I wouldn't want to take it's freedom too much though... I'd raise it as a cub in a small forest :) Got one in my parents back garden, actually. I'd just put a collar on him and tracking device so he doesn't get lost ^_^

I don't imagine it would be much worse than my last dog.

But yeah, if you raise it as a cub, you can have a tame fox.
Last edited by Rosalie on 25 Jul 2005, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
Anne Widdecombe sucks.
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

d00mw0lf wrote::eek:
What, would you rather I make fun of Francis' name again?
Anne Widdecombe sucks.
Thea
Overbomber

Well, if I'm honest, yes.
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

:(

What's wrong with wanting a pet fox?
Anne Widdecombe sucks.
Thea
Overbomber

Ever smelt one? Rather pungent creatures.
I'd suggest a badger instead, but you don't wanna go mentioning them round here...
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

You don't like foxies? :|

I have almost no sense of smell, actually... I don't really know what it's like to smell. The Doctors are baffled. Couldn't fix my nose. Heh. Had an operation on it, didn't help.

I really want to get ferrets... I like almost any decent animal, really, I'm not picky. I'd like another doggy, but I think if I kept a fox clean it'd be just as nice.

What animals do you like?
Anne Widdecombe sucks.
Thea
Overbomber

Dogs, Rats, anything I can mould into an unholy army of the night really.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Rosalie wrote:You can tame foxes, actually, I know some people have them as pets.
:eek: really? OK, colour me corrected.
Rosalie wrote:Foxes essentially *are* semi-domesticated wolves, after all.
<nitpick>

Well, no, that's dogs. Dogs are wolves; the wolf is Canis lupus and the domesticated subspecies (the dog) is C lupus familiaris. Foxes are part of the Vulpes genus (although still part of the family Canidae).

</nitpick>
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Thea
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Rosalie wrote:You can tame foxes, actually, I know some people have them as pets.
:eek: really? OK, colour me corrected.
OhYes. my granny had one.
Hence my knowing that they smell terrible.
Debaser
Overbomber

Rosalie wrote: You can tame foxes, actually, I know some people have them as pets. Foxes essentially *are* semi-domesticated wolves, after all.

I prefer wild animals. I wouldn't want to take it's freedom too much though... I'd raise it as a cub in a small forest :) Got one in my parents back garden, actually. I'd just put a collar on him and tracking device so he doesn't get lost ^_^

As FogHorn LegHorn would say...'I cain't stands no mawah!' It's a wild animal - just leave it there. Put a collar on him? yeah and give him a fwuffy ikkle name too. Stop humanising the non human. He looks beautiful in his natural setting not in someone's front room.

I ought to shut up now..me and foxes huh :roll: :innocent:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

Where the hell did foxes come from then?
Anne Widdecombe sucks.
Thea
Overbomber

Rosalie wrote:Where the hell did foxes come from then?
Well, when a mummy and a daddy fox love each other.... :roll:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Debaser wrote:As FogHorn LegHorn would say...'I cain't stands no mawah!' It's a wild animal - just leave it there. Put a collar on him? yeah and give him a fwuffy ikkle name too. Stop humanising the non human. He looks beautiful in his natural setting not in someone's front room.
Yeah actually. Good point. Here's me waffling on about Canis this and Vulpes that... Wood for the trees time.
Debaser wrote:I ought to shut up now..me and foxes huh :roll: :innocent:
Hehehe we'll let you off ;)
—Bertrand Russell
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

Debaser wrote:
Rosalie wrote: You can tame foxes, actually, I know some people have them as pets. Foxes essentially *are* semi-domesticated wolves, after all.

As FogHorn LegHorn would say...'I cain't stands no mawah!' It's a wild animal - just leave it there. Put a collar on him? yeah and give him a fwuffy ikkle name too. Stop humanising the non human. He looks beautiful in his natural setting not in someone's front room.

I know, I love the wild. Like I said, I'd really just teach it to be friendly towards humans and let it run around a forest :P I don't think that's over humanising it really. I'd never keep a fox cooked up in a house or garden.
I think you misunderstand what type of person I am.

Well, I'd let it in if it was too cold or wet, obviously.

Though it does beg the question, if an animal is raised domestic, is it truly wild? What seperates it from a dog?
Last edited by Rosalie on 25 Jul 2005, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Anne Widdecombe sucks.
Debaser
Overbomber

d00mw0lf wrote:
Well, when a mummy and a daddy fox love each other.... :roll:
FLIPPIN HECK!!!!!! That's Coke all over the school pooter!! ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well, I'm not that well up on the evolutionary history of the Canidae but as foxes, wolves and dogs are all the same family, I'd guess that they all evolved from a common ancestor that lived relatively recently. Purely a shot in the dark, but they probably all diverged from something that looked a bit doggy, a bit wolfie, a bit foxie maybe 5 million years ago? I've found a clicky... but no mention of foxes. Image
—Bertrand Russell
Thea
Overbomber

Well, that's where you get foxes innit?
LISTER: And I'm going to get a sheep and a cow, and breed horses.
RIMMER: With a sheep and a cow?
LISTER: No, with horses and horses!
:roll:
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

Red Dwarf! I love Red Dwarf!

:D

I hear the movie is scheduled for a late 2012 release.

Red Dwarf: The Geriatric years is sure to be an instant hit among the elderly.
Anne Widdecombe sucks.
Debaser
Overbomber

Rosalie wrote:
Debaser wrote:

I know, I love the wild. Like I said, I'd really just teach it to be friendly towards humans and let it run around a forest :P I don't think that's over humanising it really. I'd never keep a fox cooked up in a house or garden.
I think you misunderstand what type of person I am.

Well, I'd let it in if it was too cold or wet, obviously.

Though it does beg the question, if an animal is raised domestic, is it truly wild? What seperates it from a dog?
I have absolutely NO idea of what kind of person you are. But what I do know is you think a fox is gonna want to sit by a fire because YOU think it's too cold. HE'S A WILD CREATURE!!! Living outside means he grows the appropriate clothing.

Domestic animals? Have you seen 'When good pets go bad???' :D :D :D

You can NEVER truat an animal not to return to it's basic instincts. Fight or flight, they will always go back to those to innate behaviours.

Anyway...before I get picked up on other stuff....:D