corporate firewalls?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

are you behind a corporate firewall? is it stopping you look at genuinely useful sites aswell as the usual tat that you shouldnt be looking at on work time?

mine does :roll:

however, i found this: http://www.coralcdn.org/

which is nice.

the crux if it is that you append .nyud.net:8090 to the end of any blocked url and you go through their proxied "version" of the site instead, so your firewall is none the wiser.

works a treat for me when looking at those sites that are blocked due to them being about "IT, programming and software engineering" (that being my job after all!) :roll: ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

<coughs> geek </end cough>

:lol: :lol:
Only a paand.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

:notworthy: :notworthy: That's gonna come in handy.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Sometimes having a boss who is computer-illiterate has its uses.

I'm our firewall admin :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

We used to have a fantastically over-protective firewall which wouldn't let us go to the site of one of our sister titles.

Something about the c**t Evening Telegraph upset it :whistle:

We've ditched it now, and almost anything goes. Even www.distefano.com (probably safe for work if you don't mind people thinking you're very strange).

In a previous job I wrote a story about a school where kids had used the computers to look at things they shouldn't. A few weeks later I was invited to see their spanking new firewall, which did indeed filter out any site dispensing sexual material - in English.

Sadly it didn't recognise non-western alphabets. That would have been less of a problem if half the pupils weren't Hindi speakers. Or some smartass reporter had a working knowledge of Cyrillic. I wasn't invited when they produced a further firewall :lol:
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Our school's firewall blocks http://www.tierkreis.tk and http://www.ghostdance.co.uk

But they've yet to block Heartland. :twisted:
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Dammit, don't work with my works firewall.. and they block everything useful.. including most the Health & Safety executive website for some reason...
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Gottdammerung wrote:Dammit, don't work with my works firewall.. and they block everything useful.. including most the Health & Safety executive website for some reason...
you doing it like this?

http://www.myheartland.co.uk.nyud.net:8090/

:?:
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:
Gottdammerung wrote:Dammit, don't work with my works firewall.. and they block everything useful.. including most the Health & Safety executive website for some reason...
you doing it like this?

http://www.myheartland.co.uk.nyud.net:8090/

:?:

Yup, comes up this page is not available...
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
rian
Slight Overbomber

My firewall is wide open :D

Ohps, is that a good thing? :urff:
I think someone set my soul alight
James Blast
Banned

andymackem wrote:We've ditched it now, and almost anything goes. Even www.distefano.com (probably safe for work if you don't mind people thinking you're very strange).
Good grief! :eek:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Our firewall wrote:Access Denied (content_filter_denied)

Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "Tasteless"

For assistance, contact Service Desk
:eek:

i could try using that site i mentioned, but for some reason i dont think i'll bother :lol: :lol:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Don't have to bother anymore about those firewalls :innocent:

Why did nobody mention this before I was done at my summer job :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
andymackem wrote:We've ditched it now, and almost anything goes. Even www.distefano.com (probably safe for work if you don't mind people thinking you're very strange).
Good grief! :eek:
I was planning to buy one. The next time I go on holiday I'll smuggle it into the office before I leave and sit it at my desk. Or the editor's desk. Haven't decided yet.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G