the Joseph's Well gig

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the August 2005 European tour.
aims
Overbomber

Oh my :eek:

I assume everyone else has noticed the striking similarity to Rob Halford? :innocent:
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

snowey wrote:I think Izzy wants some space left for him in the car park for his monster recording truck... :lol: :innocent:
I wished! :evil:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

markfiend wrote:
RicheyJames wrote:the gayer in the string vest seems a nice enough bloke though.
I even managed to get a kiss goodnight from him.
Sure you haven't been to some club where they incidentally played some sisters songs too :lol: ?
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Debaser
Overbomber

Padstar wrote:It was very hot......

For me dissapointing as it usually is sadly, ive always wanted to be blown away by The Sisters but sadly got into them far too late.... this becomes more and more apparent each time i do see them.

The sound was crap, possibly not suprising but lots of unwanted feedback most of the gig, and i for one could only here one guitar for most of the show.

There just seems to be no context for the Sisters anymore and it just makes its so hard to here mostly the same set over and over again year after year. Its never to support a new album etc (obviously), just seems to be pin money as and when and the longer it goes on the more obvious it becomes.

I hate to say it, but i went back into the bar halfway through the set bored.

It was fantastic to see everyone in one place mind as it always is, and ultimately i guess cool that they still do gigs like this for people who get something out of it.

For me though a real shame, and unfortunately ive felt like that for some time now.

Paddy :(
Which is why Gaz decided his cricket teams Village cup trophy final, was more important.

It's wierd (or I am) but I can honestly say that bands that I love have never really disappointed me live. Yeah, some nights are not top hole, but there's always at least one or two things that can save it for me, Temple (I do prefer it without that twittering woman)and F&L&A being last nights high spots.

Ambeience is another one taht can saave the day...and as you quote rightly say Paddy - it WAS fabulous to see everyone.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

DoKtor Spiggy wrote:It was a Top nite out:
Set list :
1)Giving Ground
2)Ribbons
3)Crash & Burn
4Summer
5)Alice
6)On the Wire/Teachers
7)Dominion/Mother Russia
8)War on Drugs
9)Flood 1
10)Suzanne
11Falaa
12)Will I dream
13)Anaconda
photo of the setlist here:

clicky
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Dan
Overbomber

Black Widow wrote:Nice to know it wasn't a 'blown away' gig though. :?
Oh but it was. A shame all the negative comments have been given pride of place on http://tour2005.vladas.com/concerts/20050802.htm)

"The sound was crap, possibly not suprising but lots of unwanted feedback most of the gig"

From where I was standing the sound was great. Then again I thought blank canvas sounded really really bad but there are those that got good sound.

"Altho' there were quite a few people who didn't bother returning to the hall after the break"

That's a shame, it was even better after the break. Maybe because there was no dry ice and you got more visuals to go with your audio or maybe the band had some refreshment.

:von: "don't make me go acapella on you" (before Top Nite Out)
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:
RicheyJames wrote:the gayer in the string vest seems a nice enough bloke though.
I even managed to get a kiss goodnight from him.
:eek: :eek:

Ha ha, yes, I remember. Tart. :lol:

If you lovely folk keep describing events from last night, eventually it might start making sense in my head.

But for now, from very scratchy memory (courtesy of relaxing on Hamburger Hill for too long), it was exceptionally cool to meet, or re-meet...Johnny, Mr Fiend, Delilah, Purple Light (you're most welcome mate),Mr Sinister, Doomie (how could you two sleep through the angle-grinding at 8AM???), The James's, Francis, Debaser, The Snoweys, Scardy, Dan, Quiffy (of course), Mike (Jansenclone), bat and many many more. Not forgetting :von: (marvellous Gentleman - seemed rather concerned by Jamie's rapidly widening wound, and actually apologised for it. Hey Andy, unless it was you that did the nutting, no worries), Adam & Chris (and Chris' girlfriend and mate).

The gig was blinding. I remember jack all apart from the thunderous sound of the Doktor blasting through my ribcage, lots of bruise collecting, and that mid-gig realisation you always get - how amazing do The Sisters sound when they're locked into their groove.

Cheers Boys.
Last edited by Planet Dave on 03 Aug 2005, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

FFS Dave wrote:Tart. :lol:
Me: "Can I get a kiss off you too then?"

Von: "Go on then, that's the second-best offer I've had all night."

I wonder what the best was? :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mik
Chameleons Guru

I'm with Paddy on this one. Even had I not been exiled in Nottingham last night I'm not sure if I would have made the effort except to meet up with the old crowd :|

Not really been blown away by the sisters since the 10th (?) anniversary gigs at the Poly/Uni which packed a cracking punch.

Vision thing was the last tour with a new album but Wembley Arena is a big hole and people SITTING at a gig? Foxtrot Oscar.....

Ever since then it's been same old same old; a good occasion to meet people with some incidental music that may or may not sound OK depending on the venue, voice and the crowd.

All that aside, still jealous and I think old slap'ead is looking pretty well all things considered :)

Thunk: So was von just trying to look more like his emotty these days? :von: <-No Hair!!!
Something pithy.
lex3000
Amphetamine Filth

Motz wrote:Oh my :eek:

I assume everyone else has noticed the striking similarity to Rob Halford? :innocent:
Yes, I thought that too!

Alexander
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:
FFS Dave wrote:Tart. :lol:
Me: "Can I get a kiss off you too then?"

Von: "Go on then, that's the second-best offer I've had all night."

I wonder what the best was? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I could guess. So Mark, have you washed yourself yet? :wink: :lol:

He is really sweet, bless him. Just a genuine bloke, I wish I could remember what I nattered with him about. I wish I could remember anything.

Nice pics too Mark. Cheers. So you were the c**t taking pics of post-gig punters who had clearly 'done it'. :lol:

I can think of worse ways to spend a Tuesday in Leeds. 8)
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

FFS Dave wrote: I could guess.
Well yeah ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dan
Overbomber

FFS Dave wrote: :von: (marvellous Gentleman - seemed rather concerned by Jamie's rapidly widening wound, and actually apologised for it.
At what part of the gig did the 'knoblord' (great word!) start nutting people? Was that maybe why they took a break halfway through?
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

markfiend wrote:
FFS Dave wrote: I could guess.
Well yeah ;)
Agreed!

Helluva gig. First tremors started when someone knocked a stool against me at a bar, and a short dude wearing sunglasses politely asked if he was pushing in. Ever the soul of courtesy, I muttered in the negative, and we stood in chilly silence, whilst the crewman next to me nattered on about the quality of barstaff these days.

Tried to buy AE a drink, and he ordered but then paid for my pint. Everyone told me I couldn't drink it, but hey - it was my damn beer. Mmmm, sacriligeous.
Constantly got mistaken for staff for some reason. Sat on a table at the front of the queue 'cos I'm lazy, and people wandered up and asked me if they could get through. I shrugged, passed 'em off onto the fifteen-year old, eighteen-stone doorman.

Managed to ensconce myself and Professor von Darkness in the far right corner, to an extent where I was standing with members of the press - a lass from Kerrang! and a lass with a camera - on the wrong side of the security barrier. Stood less than four feet from the stage, and nearly had Adam smack me in the head with his guitar.

Took some pictures here and there, heckled with the best of them, spent several amusing minutes leaning on the speakers and being bounced gently along to Temple.
Sorted out some dudes, attempted to blag my way into the post-gig party, exchanged a few encouraging words with Andrew, and wended my happy way into the damp night.

Must admit that was my first Sisters gig, and it was a blast. No objections to Andrew's appearence either. My chpice of all-leather outfit was part of an agreement with Johnny to appear as AE circa '85. Alas, my lovely long greasy locks and battered fedora are long gone...

I have a digital camera to get batteries for, and an instamatic to develop.
Has no-one mentioned the infamous scrolling text on a large control device which read simply VON SUCKS? Classic.

As well as Adam Pearson and Chris May, I identified Ravey Davey working the Doktor, who's now about the size of HAL3000, and a short ginger dude with a shocking resemblance to Gimli. The Sisters roadie crew are an amazingly friendly crowd, kudos to the dudes who lended a hand at critical moments last night.

'twas a blast. Here's to the rest.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Dunno Dan, I was on Planet Dave at the time. :innocent:
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Oh, and I stole Andrew's setlist from the speaker, as well. :wink:
Thea
Overbomber

FFS Dave wrote:Doomie (how could you two sleep through the angle-grinding at 8AM???)
I don't know :| But was nice of you to take a pair of vagrants in :lol: Sorry we disturbed your kids for life! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :lol:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Fear not Doomie, they've been disturbed for quite a while now, though Ethan did have to ask, after I'd dropped you off, 'Dad, why did that girl have green hair?'. :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: I don't think my answer of 'because it's cool' made much sense to him either.

Anyway, it was a pleasure my dear, anytime. We can't have you wandering the streets all night.

The memories coming back too! I remember Crash & Burn and Susanne, in part. :notworthy:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

timsinister wrote:Has no-one mentioned the infamous scrolling text on a large control device which read simply VON SUCKS? Classic.
aye, i forgot all about that. tried to take a photo but was being jostled too much.

nice touch though :D :notworthy:
timsinister wrote:I identified Ravey Davey working the Doktor
wrongly identified ;) :innocent:

that was simon denbigh (one time singer with the march violets) :lol:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Quiff Boy wrote:
timsinister wrote:I identified Ravey Davey working the Doktor
wrongly identified ;) :innocent:

that was simon denbigh (one time singer with the march violets) :lol:
would that be him visible in the background of some of Scardwel's photos (looking like a club bouncer :innocent: )
James Blast
Banned

nowt wrong wi lookin' like a club bouncer :innocent:

there is a story about The Phono, but I'll let Francis tell it...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

how many bux's in one room? or at least outside one room :lol:

http://d00mw0lf.fotopic.net/p18354235.html
http://d00mw0lf.fotopic.net/p18354229.html
http://d00mw0lf.fotopic.net/p18354244.html
http://d00mw0lf.fotopic.net/p18354788.html (ooh look! it was nearly half 7 :lol: )

@ eldritchboulevard :notworthy:

i knew i should have had a 3rd bux tee done ;D
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i do like this one though:

http://d00mw0lf.fotopic.net/p18354229.html

note:

1 x eldritch
1 x me in a bux tee
1 x mrs snowey in a heartland tee
1 x rj in a sisters of murphy tee

cant explain it but that really makes me laugh :lol:

bless you all ;D
Nathan-Wind
Road Kill

Dan wrote:
FFS Dave wrote: :von: (marvellous Gentleman - seemed rather concerned by Jamie's rapidly widening wound, and actually apologised for it.
At what part of the gig did the 'knoblord' (great word!) start nutting people? Was that maybe why they took a break halfway through?
It was around about Alice I was a bit stuck in the middle and it looked like it might a bit fiesty. As the guy who got nutted's friend wanted a bit of afters and there was a couple more people, me included who were not with either party but thought the "nutter" was bang out of order and needed a swift kick to the head.