Putting vinyl onto cd

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Today my boss asked me if I knew how he could record all his old vinyl onto cd - I know that you need some kind of cable but I don't know which kind. Is there a free downloadable programme that you can use to clean up any sound quality?

Any help appreciated! :notworthy:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Would be highly interested as well... Also for mp3'ifising tips...

All I know for now is you need to use some pre-amp or something (which seems to be not too expensive)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
aims
Overbomber

Take the line-out of the turntable, put it into the line-in of your soundcard and get recording. I think it's just a standard audio cable required.
hallucienate
Overbomber

Motz wrote:Take the line-out of the turntable, put it into the line-in of your soundcard and get recording. I think it's just a standard audio cable required.
you usually need a pre-amp too.

You can also use the line-out on your amp (if it has one).

There's loads of software out there but I can't remember any free ones. I used Goldwave (now Adobe Audition) but that isn't free.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Cool :notworthy:
But how do you get the vinyl turned into mp3(or whatever)? Which programme would you use? :oops:
Pat
Slight Overbomber

everything you ever wanted to know here

or here
Depending on the results your boss wants.

Pat
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

ooooh thank you :notworthy:
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I use Goldwave.

I have the turntable hooked up directly into the amp on my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, record in the whole side of the record, Normalise it to get the volume up a bit, maybe chuck an EQ filter on it to boost up the bass a little, then start cutting and pasting each track to save as a seperate wav file. Once I have all the wav files for each track of the album, then I use DbPowerAMP to convert them from Wav to 320kbps MP3s.

If you want to make a CD, then use the WAV files, not the MP3s especially if the album you are doing has tracks running into each other. With CDs made from MP3s there is a slight gap between tracks (even if you set it for no gap).
24.24.2.489 Deceased