Alright geeks - help a sister out!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
ruffers
Overbomber

Dark wrote:
Get more RAM, it's worth it.
As I said up there somewhere :roll: , I must be on ignore...
Chucking another log on
boudicca
Sister Midnight

ruffers wrote:
Dark wrote:
Get more RAM, it's worth it.
As I said up there somewhere :roll: , I must be on ignore...
No no no no.... it's just, there's so many different pieces of advice out there (mostly seems to be written for people who already have a better idea of what they're doing than I do!), so it's hard to know who to listen to...

Believe me, every bit of help I can get here is much appreciated! :notworthy:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

When do we get to hear some of your stuff?

We ought to have a Heartland Battle of the Bands...Tierkeris, Ratzinger, Corrosion and all the rest...
nigel d
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

maybe you could start with just reading up on the subject, like you said there is loads of info out there. :urff:
ive recently bought a magazine called "future music", comes with a dvd of gubbins on the front . its full of reviews of kit and software and traders ads. it may give you an idea on what you need , for the type of music production you want to do.
if you want all the bells and whistles , you will need a powerful machine. try not to spend too much if you're just tinkering.you can get demo versions of most software for free (legally). :D
see my last post about "the hit kit" its cheap and has everything you need to START recording. (except patience).
you can always build up your "studio" if you decide you can/want to do it more.
it will take time /effort to learn.some of the software is very deep. but it is worth the effort.(and money)
good luck and above all have fun .
(ive been messing with all sorts musical on and off for years and im still a novice) :innocent:
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
aims
Overbomber

timsinister wrote:When do we get to hear some of your stuff?

We ought to have a Heartland Battle of the Bands...Tierkeris, Ratzinger, Corrosion and all the rest...
Except that Ratzinger are no way good enough to compete with the former and latter :innocent:

It would be interesting to watch the rest fighting it out though ;)
nigel d

just to let you know....
ive just printed off the manual for the CUT DOWN version of logic and it spans 182 pages :eek:
(just got the nice secretary lady to put it in a binder thing so i dont keep dropping pages.)
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Tierkreis
Ratzinger
Corrosion
For Greater Good
The Sisters Of Murphy

Who else?

By the way, Tierkreis just got added to the Lincoln Bands database, despite the fact we're SUPPOSED to have gigged before being added, but I think since we're a different to the majority in Lincoln (punk and metal) their curiostity got the better of them.
Pwn'd. 8)
boudicca
Sister Midnight

timsinister wrote:When do we get to hear some of your stuff?
WHEN IT'S READY! :wink:

I've got a good 30 or so songs kicking about, on TAPE (remember those?), just my voice and piano (remember them?)... and if I could get my head around all this techno stuff I'd be away, but until then, they'll languish on an old C90. :( :roll:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Course I remember pianos (use the keyboard piano voice to play Garden Of Delight and FALAA often) and as for tapes, I was going to try and release some songs on tape until I realised they cost about £1 each and I couldn't record them properly. :\

Anyway, what's yer project name?
nigel d

with the cheap logic , plug your walkman tape plaer into your soundcard input and record all your C90's onto harddisc.easy
aims
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:[I've got a good 30 or so songs kicking about, on TAPE (remember those?), just my voice and piano (remember them?)... and if I could get my head around all this techno stuff I'd be away, but until then, they'll languish on an old C90. :( :roll:
That is tres prolific :notworthy:

I wish I could write that many :|

Look forward to hearing them :D
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Agreed, Motz. And as Dark said - do we have a name to be tantalised by?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Oooh, no, ain't got a name yet.

The name I use for everything that doesn't require my real name is boudicca, or painted bird (after the Siouxsie song, so that's not an option).
aims
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:Oooh, no, ain't got a name yet.

The name I use for everything that doesn't require my real name is boudicca, or painted bird (after the Siouxsie song, so that's not an option).
"The Sisters of Mercy" was a Leonard Cohen song and they don't seem to have had any trouble over it ;)
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Motz wrote:
boudicca wrote:Oooh, no, ain't got a name yet.

"The Sisters of Mercy" was a Leonard Cohen song and they don't seem to have had any trouble over it ;)
True, true, but I'll be ripping that lady off in too many other ways, haha! :wink:
ruffers
Overbomber

Should I start recording it will be under the name of Kinky Aliberko in tribute to Manchester City midfield generals.

I'm sure you're all pleased to hear that!
Chucking another log on
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

boudicca wrote:No no no no.... it's just, there's so many different pieces of advice out there (mostly seems to be written for people who already have a better idea of what they're doing than I do!), so it's hard to know who to listen to...
It's like that with every hobby, and especially with everything computer-related.

It is really up to you to distill what will work for you out of all this info.

The 'Future Music' magazine mentioned before is a very good source indeed if you like to play with samplers, synths and music soft. Also you get a freebie with every magazine, be it a DVD or a sampler CD. Recommended.

For the rest: here are a few sites that can help you out. You do not have to read all of it, but take out the bits that interest you. As you proceed further along the musical path, you can read on ;)

Success!

http://www.pc-music.com/: prolly the best site to begin your search for everlasting fame! Includes explanations about recording soft, plugins, effects, sound cards, editors etc...

http://www.musicxp.net/: for tuning Win XP with music soft (sometimes useful for older Windows as well).

http://www.pcmus.com/: a lot of useful info!

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php free vst plugins galore! Mind, not all of these are very stable, it is all made by enthousiasts mostly.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ruffers wrote:Should I start recording it will be under the name of Kinky Aliberko in tribute to Manchester City midfield generals.

I'm sure you're all pleased to hear that!
works for me :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?