What do think of new goth bands? do we need another sisters?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Mrs. Snowey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

boudicca wrote:
canon docre wrote:sad old chaps, that tried to add a few centimeters to their size by an extravagant hair-do. :roll:
God knows, that's more than SOME people can manage these days... :von: :innocent: :lol:
Ahh, but he doesn't need to :wink: But it could be why Tony James used to wear that hat :lol:
Why do keyboards get so dirty?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Mrs. Snowey wrote:
boudicca wrote:
canon docre wrote:sad old chaps, that tried to add a few centimeters to their size by an extravagant hair-do. :roll:
God knows, that's more than SOME people can manage these days... :von: :innocent: :lol:
Ahh, but he doesn't need to :wink: But it could be why Tony James used to wear that hat :lol:
Seems to be what Alvin Stardust was going for as well! :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Spirit UK
Road Kill

A mixed bag of results here, I personally want the magic and mystery back. So come on.................. :lol:

Oh yeah and I'm not a part of Sheffgoths :roll:
canon docre
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
This guy was even a good head smaller than :von: . (If that is ever possible without being a genetic midget. )

Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
ruffers
Overbomber

Sorry, I have no idea who the feck that is. It looks like Jamie Theakston in a wig.
Chucking another log on
canon docre
Overbomber

It is a german Ãœber-Goth from Deine Lakaien, playing right before the sisters on sunday.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

canon docre wrote:
boudicca wrote:
This guy was even a good head smaller than :von: . (If that is ever possible without being a genetic midget. )

You know, I suspected it was him you were talking about! :lol:

I like DL... And don't let D00meh hear you slag him off! :innocent:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Dark
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:Heh. I'm glad someone agrees with my assessment of that tw@t McLaren's "contribution" to punk.

About the only claim to have invented punk with less credibility than McLaren's is Jonathan King's. (Yes, I have honestly seen Jonathan King on TV claim to have invented punk :eek:)
Well, I read that on their gig in 1971 in the OK Harris Gallery, Suicide got similar bands together in NYC and called it "A Punk Music Mass", and though punk had been around before them (1960s garage rock, etc), they were the first to use it in that context.

Doesn't mean they invented punk, though. I don't think anyone particularly made it, they just kept it going.
Mrs. Snowey

Dark wrote: Doesn't mean they invented punk, though. I don't think anyone particularly made it, they just kept it going.
Bit like timsinister then :lol:
Why do keyboards get so dirty?
Thea
Overbomber

Spirit UK wrote:A mixed bag of results here, I personally want the magic and mystery back. So come on.................. :lol:

Oh yeah and I'm not a part of Sheffgoths :roll:
Very sensible. Although they're not as scary as they look! :lol:
Thea
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
canon docre wrote:
boudicca wrote: God knows, that's more than SOME people can manage these days... :von: :innocent: :lol:

You know, I suspected it was him you were talking about! :lol:

I like DL... And don't let D00meh hear you slag him off! :innocent:
Damn straight. Poor Alexander Veljenov! He's not German though,he's Macedonian. But he is an uber-goth extrodinare! 8)
Thea
Overbomber

Mrs. Snowey wrote:
Dark wrote: Doesn't mean they invented punk, though. I don't think anyone particularly made it, they just kept it going.
Bit like timsinister then :lol:
:notworthy:
canon docre
Overbomber

d00mw0lf wrote: Damn straight. Poor Alexander Veljenov! He's not German though,he's Macedonian. But he is an uber-goth extrodinare! 8)
... and he was a bit sensitive about being complimented off stage to give space to THE GOTHIC OVERLORD. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thea
Overbomber

canon docre wrote:
d00mw0lf wrote: Damn straight. Poor Alexander Veljenov! He's not German though,he's Macedonian. But he is an uber-goth extrodinare! 8)
... and he was a bit sensitive about being complimented off stage to give space to THE GOTHIC OVERLORD. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, yes. :lol: Bless 'em!
Delilah

After spending 1 day at Meraluna (sorry, but it is a goth fest in my opinion) I think we have the following categories of bands:
1. old goth bands who never really achieved anything but are still using and abusing the goth image (stupid hair and eyeliner) to maximum trying to get as much profit as possible from the dying scene (Deine Lakaien)
2. brand new teenage-goth bands trying to be as serious as possible, never be caught smiling on stage and backstage and pouting to perfection. they probably never heard of FOTN or The Sisters, for them goth means Marylin Manson, Slipknot and possibly Green Day (coz they wear a eyeliner too!). For example - The Birthday MAssacre. We had a right laugh because of them coz they are a bunch of anorexic Canadian teenagers, covered in artificial blood and vampiric make-up right until the end (they didnt bother to wash after the gig), and they kept disappearing to the catering area trying to make up for all those years of starving!
3. Metal bands who never achieved a lot on the metal scene, so they employed a female singer with black hair and pale face, preferrably borrowed for a choir or opera, bought some cheap keyboard and started playing "atmospheric" (Within Tempation and so many others). Or instead of female singer you can always employ a slightly homosexual-looking male vocalist able to break a few teenage hearts (HIM)
4. Electro bands who always sound the same... Their image may differ slightly... more cyber or more trad-goth look...
5. Old bands who will never agree that they belong to the scene, but are among the first to be associated with the word "goth". They may or may not be dark lyrically or musically, and they burned their black clothes long time ago and are staying away from black hair dye. But their music is eternal...

If someone asks, I would always go for that 5th category. The rest does not bother me at all...
Farkas
Road Kill

Delilah wrote:After spending 1 day at Meraluna (sorry, but it is a goth fest in my opinion) I think we have the following categories of bands:
1. old goth bands who never really achieved anything but are still using and abusing the goth image (stupid hair and eyeliner) to maximum trying to get as much profit as possible from the dying scene (Deine Lakaien)
2. brand new teenage-goth bands trying to be as serious as possible, never be caught smiling on stage and backstage and pouting to perfection. they probably never heard of FOTN or The Sisters, for them goth means Marylin Manson, Slipknot and possibly Green Day (coz they wear a eyeliner too!). For example - The Birthday MAssacre. We had a right laugh because of them coz they are a bunch of anorexic Canadian teenagers, covered in artificial blood and vampiric make-up right until the end (they didnt bother to wash after the gig), and they kept disappearing to the catering area trying to make up for all those years of starving!
3. Metal bands who never achieved a lot on the metal scene, so they employed a female singer with black hair and pale face, preferrably borrowed for a choir or opera, bought some cheap keyboard and started playing "atmospheric" (Within Tempation and so many others). Or instead of female singer you can always employ a slightly homosexual-looking male vocalist able to break a few teenage hearts (HIM)
4. Electro bands who always sound the same... Their image may differ slightly... more cyber or more trad-goth look...
5. Old bands who will never agree that they belong to the scene, but are among the first to be associated with the word "goth". They may or may not be dark lyrically or musically, and they burned their black clothes long time ago and are staying away from black hair dye. But their music is eternal...

If someone asks, I would always go for that 5th category. The rest does not bother me at all...
i like that....translation :)
but whats with bands like Moonspell, Type´o´Negative????
2nd generation old style-goth, or first generation doom-style-goth?
I DON´T SLEEP, SO
I DON´T DREAM, SO
I DON`T WAKE UP FRIGHTEND
Delilah

canon docre wrote: This guy was even a good head smaller than :von: . (If that is ever possible without being a genetic midget. )

@ Jess :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: We had a laugh, didn't we? He did not even smile once. All 150 cm of him and that litres of hairspray make him a really quite ridiculous person! BTW, remember that NBew Romantic guy? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Delilah

Farkas wrote:
i like that....translation :)
but whats with bands like Moonspell, Type´o´Negative????
2nd generation old style-goth, or first generation doom-style-goth?
Well... I would still put them to Metal Bands category... I do like them bth BTW. And Type O singer at least looks quite sexy, but still... give me The Sisters or Fields any time! :D
ryan

Only a goth band that denies they are a goth band will be the next goth band. :wink:
canon docre
Overbomber

Delilah wrote: @ Jess :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: We had a laugh, didn't we? He did not even smile once. All 150 cm of him and that litres of hairspray make him a really quite ridiculous person! BTW, remember that NBew Romantic guy? :lol: :lol: :lol:
How could I forget Mr. "I've never bothered about anything released after Construction Time Again, hence my outfit." :lol: :lol:
At least our fair Overlord bowed in respect to him, unlike us. :innocent: :lol:
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Aaaah - the ultimate question. Where is Mick Mercer when you need him. ;)
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Karst wrote:Aaaah - the ultimate question. Where is Mick Mercer when you need him. ;)
Bitter man there :wink:
A fine example of getting on AE's bad side. Good bloke though.
canon docre
Overbomber

And who's that?
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

canon docre wrote:And who's that?
Mick Mercer? Author, former NME columnist (don't mention that), freelance music reviewer. Wrote a few very good books on modern Goth culture and society. Has a legendary beef with Eldritch's mob over obvious reasons.
canon docre
Overbomber

timsinister wrote:
canon docre wrote:And who's that?
Mick Mercer? Author, former NME columnist (don't mention that), freelance music reviewer. Wrote a few very good books on modern Goth culture and society. Has a legendary beef with Eldritch's mob over obvious reasons.
:lol: Ah, I see. The root of all evil. :lol: