Berlin - can you take my breath away?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

It seems I'm heading to Germany in November and willl be passing a weekend in Berlin. Suggestions on good places to stay / things to do would be appreciated.

As luck would have it Qntal are playing, which takes care of one evening.

Speaking German is not one of my talents, so keep it visual, eh? :lol:
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
canon docre
Overbomber

Wot? :eek: Mr. Mackem invades Berlin? :eek:

*trembles in fear, then runs away to make a quick call to gather our former allies - close the Berlin wall - get a new airlift on duty to feed fellow Berliners - ducks and covers herself in the Luftschutzbunker.*
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Not a bad plan. If you bring the Russians back I'll have someone to talk to. I like your thinking :wink:
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

My catch-all German phrase: "Es tut mir leid; ich spreche nur ein bisschen Deutsch"

Pronunciation guide: "Ess toot meer light; ish spre-sher noor an biss-shen doitch" (roughly)

Works wonders.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

More wonders than 'zwei weltkreig und eine weltclasse'?

My Germany stretches all the way from Bayern to Munich, but I gather beer sounds much the same in either language.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

You're really sick of this island, aren't you? :lol:

Envious old me. Have a great time, please don't start a War. :wink:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I'd dearly, dearly love to go myself, but haven't been so far.

However, I believe there is some wall or something that you might wanna check out... :innocent: :wink:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

I thought the Scorpions single-handedly demolished the wall with their Winds of Change a few years back.

Maybe there's still a breezeblock or two left.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

There's a few bits left here and there.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Haven't been since I was five. So can't help you really!!!

Unless you want to go the the swings? :lol:
Only a paand.
aims
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:My catch-all German phrase: "Es tut mir leid; ich spreche nur ein bisschen Deutsch"

Pronunciation guide: "Ess toot meer light; ish spre-sher noor an biss-shen doitch" (roughly)

Works wonders.
Unlike my naive "Es tut mir leid, aber ich spreche kein Deutsch" :innocent:

Needless to say, they didn't believe me :roll:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Motz wrote:"Es tut mir leid, aber ich spreche kein Deutsch"
Funny that. I'm sorry, but I don't speak any English. :innocent:
—Bertrand Russell
aims
Overbomber

Exactly.

It was followed by a swift "Also, ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch, aber nicht viel" once the game was up ;)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol:

Works for me. ;D
—Bertrand Russell
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

A rare lapse into relevance: is Schoenenfeld Airport anywhere near Berlin? The budget carriers seem to like it, which makes me fear it's on the outskirts of Gdansk or something.

I'm still recovering from the plane that claimed to be going to Bratislava Vienna from Stansted last week.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

When I went we flew to Schoenenfeld (courtesy of sleazyjet). It cost 40 Euros by taxi from there to the city centre.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

andymackem wrote:I thought the Scorpions single-handedly demolished the wall with their Winds of Change a few years back.
I've heard David Hasselhoff pretty much taking the credit for the collapse of Communism in East Germany by releasing some soft-rock ditty or other... :roll: :lol:

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to live.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
canon docre
Overbomber

andymackem wrote:A rare lapse into relevance: is Schoenenfeld Airport anywhere near Berlin? The budget carriers seem to like it, which makes me fear it's on the outskirts of Gdansk or something.

I'm still recovering from the plane that claimed to be going to Bratislava Vienna from Stansted last week.
Yes, Schönefeld in the outskirts of Berlin, but the only place where the low costs carriers are landing. As MF said, 40 Euro is the cab price, but there should be some dodgy trains to the city too. :P

re. "things to do": I don't know what exactly you're looking for. If you're up for the g*th- hangouts, I researched not so long ago some hotspots for the Black Alices. If you're looking for something else, I'm sure, I can find whatever fits your particular likings. :P
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Dodgy trains are fine. I'm an expert in dodgy trains. Knowing what I'm looking for is more of a challenge, but you don't need to know about the rest of my life.

Depending on my time away from work I may only have one evening (gig) and two pretty full days (early morning flight Friday, late night departure Saturday). I know next to nothing of Germany; certainly nothing outside of doing 20th-century European history at school (how to demonise a nation in one easy step!).

I'm not really a goth (would 'goth-curious' sound too dodgy?) and have a lingering post-Cold War fascination with Eastern Europe which suggests I've arrived in Berlin at least a decade too late.

This isn't helping at all, is it! :oops:
Delilah
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

andymackem wrote:A rare lapse into relevance: is Schoenenfeld Airport anywhere near Berlin? The budget carriers seem to like it, which makes me fear it's on the outskirts of Gdansk or something.
:lol: :lol: no, I flew from Schonefield back to the Stansted after my crazy birthday weekend in April. It is about 40 mins from the City on the train (S-bahn). Trains are very frequent, the airport is towards the East Berlin (but it seem you don't mind East, Andy :wink:). I got there 3 hours too early, having some nice German boys on my mind, so I forgot that my plane was at 9:25 not 6:25, haha! And speaking of Gdans - it is a very beautiful city, let me know when you fancy a trip to Poland and I can show you around!
was it the famous SKYEUROPE? :twisted: :lol:
pikkrong
Overbomber

Berlin is great :notworthy:
Kreuzberg in the night :notworthy: Even if you are walking some kilometres (with your heavy suit-case) to find the place to stay (and in the morning, before 6, again the same way to Ostbahnhof) - as I did. I'm not ironic. That was really nice prologue to my Sisters tour. Lovely Floodland-views from the bridge which name I have forgotten :? 8)
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Berlin is indeed a marvellous city :notworthy:

Not that i can remember too much more than christmas lights and the relaxed atmosphere in Cafe Zapata. 8) :lol: :notworthy:

And some stout blokes with lots of fire and leather. :eek: :lol: :twisted:
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
canon docre
Overbomber

andymackem wrote:Dodgy trains are fine. I'm an expert in dodgy trains. Knowing what I'm looking for is more of a challenge, but you don't need to know about the rest of my life.

Depending on my time away from work I may only have one evening (gig) and two pretty full days (early morning flight Friday, late night departure Saturday). I know next to nothing of Germany; certainly nothing outside of doing 20th-century European history at school (how to demonise a nation in one easy step!).

I'm not really a goth (would 'goth-curious' sound too dodgy?) and have a lingering post-Cold War fascination with Eastern Europe which suggests I've arrived in Berlin at least a decade too late.

This isn't helping at all, is it! :oops:
Here's my schedule to your stay:

Day 1:
Early flight in.
Trying to find your way from the airport to town for the next couple of hours.
Arrival at venue later afternoon.
Getting fascinated by the post Cold War Eastern Europe looks around K17.
Curiously watching the incoming goths for the gig.

Day 2:
sleep long, then head to the airport.
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

I have to agree that Berlin is a great city. It is far greener than you would expect (well - if you didn't know that it is built in a valley over an underground river..............which we didn't until a very nice taxi driver told us :lol: )..

If you want clubs to go to - even if you're "goth curious" rather than "goth" - Duncker is excellent for a Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday; K17 for the rest of the week.

East Berlin is really interesting - if a little devoid of people :eek:

West Berlin is good for shopping (except goth shopping - you have to go east for that).

Go to Check Point Charlie - there's also a museum there.

Any further details needed - pm me ;D

We really enjoyed ourselves - in fact, we're going back in October. But we are goths and went for the goth clubs and goth shops (of which there are plenty and they are good).

Oh..............and the people are really lovely :notworthy:
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Well, flights are now booked. A punitively early departure on Friday Nov 11, and a return at 10pm on the Saturday. All for just £33, and no need to break into holiday time.

With my growing enthusiasm for bands like Qntal, DL, Helium Vola etc, some hints on places to acquire armfuls of CDs from these and similar groups would be welcomed. For some reason Lonely Planet is silent on such things.

Cheap central accommodation tips would be handy as well, though I'm debating ditching the idea of a hotel and just stopping out all night.

@ Delilah: oddly enough I was looking at going to Poland next year to visit some people I met while I was travelling. Warsaw and Bialystock (and whatever the country park near the Belarussian border is called), probably. Don't know much about Gdansk apart from shipyards and Solidarity, but might swing through Sopot since it's Southend's twin town. Quite fancy ducking into Belarus and Kaliningrad as well, just because they are there.