What do think of new goth bands? do we need another sisters?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

canon docre wrote:
timsinister wrote:
canon docre wrote:And who's that?
Mick Mercer? Author, former NME columnist (don't mention that), freelance music reviewer. Wrote a few very good books on modern Goth culture and society. Has a legendary beef with Eldritch's mob over obvious reasons.
:lol: Ah, I see. The root of all evil. :lol:
Heh...it's all a matter of perspective. If you're a die-hard Reptile, you'll spit upon the name of Mercer and all of his books. However, if on the other hand you have given up hope on a bunch of arrogant mainlanders who'll never condescend to actually release anything, you'll sympathise with Mick who is a prime example of the royal snubbing AE can dish out.

Perspective is Important.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

If Von knew you felt that way, Tim, that pint would have been over your head and no questions asked! :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

boudicca wrote:If Von knew you felt that way, Tim, that pint would have been over your head and no questions asked! :lol:
Perspective my dear. I'm writing from the point of view of a bitter ex-fan. 'tis the wonder of my formidable literary skills, see. :wink:
canon docre
Overbomber

timsinister wrote:
canon docre wrote:
timsinister wrote: Mick Mercer? Author, former NME columnist (don't mention that), freelance music reviewer. Wrote a few very good books on modern Goth culture and society. Has a legendary beef with Eldritch's mob over obvious reasons.
:lol: Ah, I see. The root of all evil. :lol:
Heh...it's all a matter of perspective. If you're a die-hard Reptile, you'll spit upon the name of Mercer and all of his books. However, if on the other hand you have given up hope on a bunch of arrogant mainlanders who'll never condescend to actually release anything, you'll sympathise with Mick who is a prime example of the royal snubbing AE can dish out.

Perspective is Important.
From my arrogant mainlander perspective, I can't be bothered about c*ck-fights of g*ths. :lol: :lol:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

ruffers wrote:Sorry, I have no idea who the feck that is. It looks like Jamie Theakston in a wig.
I am sitting at my desk having lunch and that made me laugh so much there's lettuce everywhere! :lol:
Hell is other people
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I was thinking about the Mish earlier.
And 20 minutes later I was walking to my bus stop home, having bought Serpent's Kiss 12", Garden Of Delight 12" and God's Own Medicine LP.

Hehehe..
aims
Overbomber

Listened to the appalling version of GoD yet then? :innocent:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

there's no such thing as a good version... even the demo with eldritch singing is painful - he sounds like he's embarrassed singing that trite nonsense :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Eldritch couldn't sing it.

The Sisters demo with Hussey singing was brilliant.
A pre-emptive "Shut it, Quiffy!" is in order here. :roll: :lol:

And no, I'll listen to them after dinner. After I've listened through Motz's latest song and recorded the keyboards for mine (for the 30th time *mutters*)
aims
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:there's no such thing as a good version... even the demo with eldritch singing is painful - he sounds like he's embarrassed singing that trite nonsense :lol:
I was referring to the instrumentation.

Vocals aside, the Sisters demo absolutely wipes the floor with the final album version on God's Own Medicine :|

Edit:
After listening to it again with an open mind, it seems that the reason I disliked the Mish version is because it was "different". As a Sisters song it would be pants. As a Mish song, it's..."different". But not as crap as I made out :von:
Last edited by aims on 17 Aug 2005, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Dark wrote:Eldritch couldn't sing it.
But he can take my hand and lead me to the garden of delight whenever he pleases... :innocent: :kiss: :roll:

Just as soon as he buys a wig.
Thea
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
Dark wrote:Eldritch couldn't sing it.
But he can take my hand and lead me to the garden of delight whenever he pleases... :innocent: :kiss: :roll:

Just as soon as he buys a wig.
Someone needs to set up a heartland wig fund! :lol:
How good would von look in one of those silver tinsel comedy wigs? :lol:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

d00mw0lf wrote: How good would von look in one of those silver tinsel comedy wigs? :lol:
And nothing else... :twisted:

:eek: Have you been reading my mind with your "brainrays" again D00m? :innocent:

They took my tinfoil hat away from me when they put me in the special people's place, but I think I might be needing it again!!! :lol:
Spirit UK
Road Kill

What about a stick-on comedy beard too? or comedy chest hair? :lol:
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Resurrecting your own thread just to bash the Paramount Leader?

Cast him out!
Andie
Overbomber

good thread

i was gonna add a few choice words...but i think everything i was gonna say has been said already (Quiffy :notworthy: )

i must add one thing...if the music you play isn't straight ahead goth...but you have some overly gothlike tunes within a sleaze rock 'n' leather kinda image with some punk attitude...would you call yourself a rock band...or just go with the flow and be whatever you're labeled as?

mmmm...personally...i prefer Zodiac Mindwarp to be rock

sooo...i would never have called Hanoi Rocks a goth band....more a Glam Rock band...but they were liked by many goth influenced woman friends of mine (something to do with a certain Micheal Monroe :wink: )...also i'd find it hard to believe that anyone here would call them Goth now...

but what if they dressed in Black Leather...what if they did play some seriously goth like tunes with the word Gothic in the title...placed their tongues firmly in thier collective cheeks and carried forward the joke...laughed about being called vampires...used every lyric cliche in the book...and sold thousands of CD's into the bargin...could a band who sound like a revamped (pun intended) Hanoi Rocks actually be in the order of merit that an original goth band would be?....

seems so...because the 69 Eyes are "Goth"...or more Goth'n'Roll to quote their slant on it...and yeah...IMHO they are the Goth Hanoi Rocks all be it with a less talented guitarist (when he's sober and drug dependant free Andy MacCoy is an excellent guitarist)...

mmmm...is everything alright with the world tonight?... :wink: i've posted more than 2 dozen words :lol:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.