Laibach in Tallinn, 27. 08. 2005

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
pikkrong
Overbomber

...was good. I was afraid that after 4 Sisters gigs I can't enjoy any other band but they were still impressive. (Of course, I can't compare Sisters and Laibach, there's nothing like Sisters.)
But the next day I had awful hangover. It was very hard to believe ho much money I had spent on vodka at the afterparty :innocent:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Walk into the universe of Laibach kunst-machine...

I can't get enough of The 'Bach ( :roll: :lol: I really should stop doing that)... I'd love to see them, have heard so many good things about their live show... :notworthy:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
ruffers
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:Walk into the universe of Laibach kunst-machine...

I can't get enough of The 'Bach ( :roll: I really should stop doing that)... I'd love to see them, have heard so many good things about their live show... :notworthy:
I saw them last autumn after not seeing them for however many years it was since I bought Panorama, there was always somethign stopping me going. They were...... funny. I might have posted about this at the time but I was surprised by how camp it was, a really good show though.
Main problem was it was far too quiet, this was at the Electric Ballromm by the way, imho it needed to be painfully, punishingly loud.
Chucking another log on
boudicca
Sister Midnight

ruffers wrote:I saw them last autumn after not seeing them for however many years it was since I bought Panorama, there was always somethign stopping me going. They were...... funny. I might have posted about this at the time but I was surprised by how camp it was, a really good show though.
Main problem was it was far too quiet, this was at the Electric Ballromm by the way, imho it needed to be painfully, punishingly loud.
Oh yes. Laibach are one band that ought always to be played at internal-organ-juddering volume. 8)

When you say "camp".... how like? :innocent: Mincing Slovenians?

:?: :eek: :lol:

I seem to recall a Siouxsie quote in refernce to her flirtation with Nazi symbolism in her youth, "more camp than death-camp"...
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Brideoffrankenstein played me a couple of Laibach videos last week, and the imagery was so overdone that it couldn't be seen as anything else other than camp: über-masculine blond-haired clean-shaven men standing on mountainsides looking sternly into the distance :lol:

Someone ought to do a study into the similarities between fascist imagery and camp imagery - there's a huge crossover. They could call it "Nazi or Nancy?" - the far-right would be seething. :lol:
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

There's a quite famous book out there called "The Pink Swastika", can't for the life of me remember who by, excellent thesis marred by awful writing and a somewhat "creative" way with the facts.

As for Ernst Rohm :!:

On topic, anyone know if Laibach are continuing the tour after Russia?
Their website's a bit static.
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Was watching the vids DVD last Friday - first time I'd seen Life Is Life since it was shown on The Chart Show whenever it was released. Genius. Not so sure about the comparitively lightweight Final Countdown though.

I guess the place to see them would be at Roundhay Park, supporting The Sisters.

Like that's going to happen. :? :von:
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Planet Dave wrote:Was watching the vids DVD last Friday - first time I'd seen Life Is Life since it was shown on The Chart Show whenever it was released. Genius. Not so sure about the comparitively lightweight Final Countdown though.
Now I understand the kind of camp you mean. It ain't Jimmy Somerville! :lol:

That video is the absolute dog's bollocks :notworthy: 8) .

I've always thought it would be infinitely improved, though, if there was a little bouncy ball going along the lyrics displayed at the bottom of the screen... so we can all sing along in our best cookie-monster voices!

Fun for all the family.

@ Laz... I think the Nazi/gay connection might just have been covered once or twice. :roll: :lol: Still, any excuse to irk the fascists. :wink:
ruffers
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
Planet Dave wrote:Was watching the vids DVD last Friday - first time I'd seen Life Is Life since it was shown on The Chart Show whenever it was released. Genius. Not so sure about the comparitively lightweight Final Countdown though.
Now I understand the kind of camp you mean. It ain't Jimmy Somerville! :lol:
Not quite, although closer than you'd think.

oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh baby! In a Laibach way :lol: :lol:

Don't. Leave Me. This Way.
I. Can't Exist. etc. They should do it.....
Chucking another log on
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote: Someone ought to do a study into the similarities between fascist imagery and camp imagery - there's a huge crossover. They could call it "Nazi or Nancy?" - the far-right would be seething. :lol:
Well it certainly wasn't lost on Mel Brooks. His best films are full of camp Nazi imagery. As for Laibach, I've just only recently started listening to them. I'd heard Geburt Einer Nation 19 years ago but didn't get round to hearing other stuff. I've recently got a hold of Anthems and yes it's bloody funny. Any other reccommendations most welcome!
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Andrew S wrote:Geburt Einer Nation
One of their finest hours... 8)

Since I heard their version, I can't hear the Queen version in quite the same way ever again :lol: ... that goes for all their covers actually...
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

Don't tell me Life Is Life and Final Countdown are originally by Laibach?! :eek: :urff: - I thought both were by a daft german vokuhila band (can't remember their name)?
You can't fix stupid.
canon docre
Overbomber

Eva wrote:
Don't tell me Life Is Life and Final Countdown are originally by Laibach?! :eek: :urff: - I thought both were by a daft german vokuhila band (can't remember their name)?
Vokuhila yes, German NO! Life is Life was from an austrian outfit called Opus and Final Countdown from a swedish band called Europe. :urff: :urff:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Cheers canon - beat me to it.

BTW, groovy avatar (as always) - wouldn't you say you were more of a Godzuki than a Gojira though? :wink:

<ducks, but not fast enough>

Ouch!
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
canon docre
Overbomber

ImageImage
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
ruffers
Overbomber

They're broadening their scope

http://www.laibach.co.za/
Chucking another log on
boudicca
Sister Midnight

ruffers wrote:They're broadening their scope

:lol: Now that IS bizarre...! :urff:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote:
ruffers wrote:They're broadening their scope

:lol: Now that IS bizarre...! :urff:
Hey, I found out about that first! :P

*Tries to look it up, somewhere in the currently drinking thread*
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
pikkrong
Overbomber

Of course, they are camp. And a funny representation of the totalitarian nature of pop music. Not in the Rammstein 'nudge nudge wink wink' way. Laibach overacting could make only really stupid skinheads believe they are a Nazi band.
But you can read yourselves what they think about music, art, politics etc:

http://www.laibach.nsk.si/tekst.htm
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

pikkrong wrote:Of course, they are camp. And a funny representation of the totalitarian nature of pop music. Not in the Rammstein 'nudge nudge wink wink' way. Laibach overacting could make only really stupid skinheads believe they are a Nazi band.

http://www.laibach.nsk.si/tekst.htm
I bought their "Anthems" cd recently and there was a rather interesting booklete inside explaining all the art/politics stuff which I found rather interesting.

I also rather like the sort of Eastern European military look :oops:
pikkrong
Overbomber

Andrew S wrote:I've recently got a hold of Anthems and yes it's bloody funny. Any other reccommendations most welcome!
The Beatles covers' album "Let It Be" :notworthy:
"Across The Universe" is a pearl, especially in the context of the album - and it works maybe even more on the videos DVD compilation :notworthy:
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

[quote="pikkrong"]Of course, they are camp. And a funny representation of the totalitarian nature of pop music. Not in the Rammstein 'nudge nudge wink wink' way. Laibach overacting could make only really stupid skinheads believe they are a Nazi band.

:notworthy: That is indeed the reason I love Laibach :notworthy:
:oops: Do not understand german but have translators.. :innocent:

nudge nudge wink wink
< > :wink: :wink: MB
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
boudicca
Sister Midnight

double post again... :roll:
Last edited by boudicca on 31 Aug 2005, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:I also rather like the sort of Eastern European military look :oops:
I'm feelin' ya, babe! :wink: :innocent:

Must say I'm sorely tempted to become and NSK citizen...
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
Brideoffrankenstein wrote:I also rather like the sort of Eastern European military look :oops:
I'm feelin' ya, babe! :wink: :innocent:
Blimey! Lucky me eh guys? Jealous yet? :lol: :wink: