Autism test

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It has been suggested a number of times that hanging around on a message board talking about The Sisters could be a symptom of some autism-spectrum disorder. So take the test and find out how autistic are you?
Take The AQ Test
Psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen and his colleagues at Cambridge's Autism Research Centre have created the Autism-Spectrum Quotient, or AQ, as a measure of the extent of autistic traits in adults. In the first major trial using the test, the average score in the control group was 16.4. Eighty percent of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scored 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, however, and many who score above 32 and even meet the diagnostic criteria for mild autism or Asperger's report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives.

For each question mark "agree" or "disagree"

1 I prefer to do things with others rather than on my own
2 I prefer to do things the same way over and over again.
3 If I try to imagine something, I find it very easy to create a picture in my mind.
4 I frequently get so strongly absorbed in one thing that I lose sight of other things.
5 I often notice small sounds when others do not.
6 I usually notice car number plates or similar strings of information.
7 Other people frequently tell me that what I've said is impolite, even though I think it is polite.
8 When I'm reading a story, I can easily imagine what the characters might look like.
9 I am fascinated by dates.
10 In a social group, I can easily keep track of several different people's conversations.
11 I find social situations easy.
12 I tend to notice details that others do not.
13 I would rather go to a library than to a party.
14 I find making up stories easy.
15 I find myself drawn more strongly to people than to things.
16 I tend to have very strong interests, which I get upset about if I can't pursue.
17 I enjoy social chitchat.
18 When I talk, it isn't always easy for others to get a word in edgewise.
19 I am fascinated by numbers.
20 When I'm reading a story, I find it difficult to work out the characters' intentions.
21 I don't particularly enjoy reading fiction.
22 I find it hard to make new friends.
23 I notice patterns in things all the time.
24 I would rather go to the theater than to a museum.
25 It does not upset me if my daily routine is disturbed.
26 I frequently find that I don't know how to keep a conversation going.
27 I find it easy to 'read between the lines' when someone is talking to me.
28 I usually concentrate more on the whole picture, rather than on the small details.
29 I am not very good at remembering phone numbers.
30 I don't usually notice small changes in a situation or a person's appearance.
31 I know how to tell if someone listening to me is getting bored.
32 I find it easy to do more than one thing at once.
33 When I talk on the phone, I'm not sure when it's my turn to speak.
34 I enjoy doing things spontaneously.
35 I am often the last to understand the point of a joke.
36 I find it easy to work out what someone is thinking or feeling just by looking at their face.
37 If there is an interruption, I can switch back to what I was doing very quickly.
38 I am good at social chitchat.
39 People often tell me that I keep going on and on about the same thing.
40 When I was young, I used to enjoy playing games involving pretending with other children.
41 I like to collect information about categories of things (e.g., types of cars, birds, trains, plants).
42 I find it difficult to imagine what it would be like to be someone else.
43 I like to carefully plan any activities I participate in.
44 I enjoy social occasions.
45 I find it difficult to work out people's intentions.
46 New situations make me anxious.
47 I enjoy meeting new people.
48 I am a good diplomat.
49 I am not very good at remembering people's date of birth.
50 I find it very easy to play games with children that involve pretending.
How to score: "agree" responses to questions 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, 13, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 33, 35, 39, 41, 42, 43, 45, 46 score 1 point. "disagree" responses to questions 1, 3, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34, 36, 37, 38, 40, 44, 47, 48, 49, 50 score 1 point.
I scored 33...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
ruffers
Overbomber

I think it just diagnosed a short attention span disorder.
Chucking another log on
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

28 for me, so nothing to worry about, I guess :innocent:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

21 for me... I'm off to count some cards.

boudicca
Sister Midnight

Does it occur that some individuals out of the 1000 on this board may well have many of the symptoms of mild autism? And if so, what of it?

Many of the greatest men in history have been slightly autistic. It is doubtful that Einstein, arguably the greatest mind of the 20th Century, would have been the same if it were not for that one-pointed concentration that is such a feature of autism.

Mozart, Beethoven, Carl Jung, H.P. Lovecraft, Neitschze, Socrates, Leonardo Da Vinci... I could go on, you get my point.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i read somewhere that most men could be diagnosed as aspergic.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
boudicca
Sister Midnight

emilystrange wrote:i read somewhere that most men could be diagnosed as aspergic.
Which could suggest the problem is in the definition or diagnosis... rather than an entire gender!
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

not a funny topic, should be in the TRASH BIN mr mod :roll:
Goths have feelings too
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

mr mod started this topic
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

paint it black wrote:not a funny topic, should be in the TRASH BIN mr mod :roll:
:?: It's not meant to be funny. It has been pointed out that behaviours such as making and cataloguing collections, preferring interaction through computers to "real" social interaction, and so forth may be consistent with some forms of autism-spectrum disorder.

While the test is not intended to be diagnostic of autism, I think it's interesting to do an (admittedly unscientific) straw-poll of results of a self-selected group such as the members of this board who choose to participate.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Ironically, having met most of you after speaking to you via a computer, I found I prefer it when you're just a series of letters on the screen.

That I can turn off. :lol:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

31....but really,who gives a flying fuck anyway? it doesn't bother me what that signifies personally.i'm more than happy with being me -enough to not want to be anyone else. :urff:

like mark i think it's interesting to run these things by a group of people like us :for all our differences i've got more in common with the people on this forum than any other group of people apart from my closest friends and family...even then i haven't got this sisters thing in common with them.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
ruffers
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:Does it occur that some individuals out of the 1000 on this board may well have many of the symptoms of mild autism? And if so, what of it?

Many of the greatest men in history have been slightly autistic. It is doubtful that Einstein, arguably the greatest mind of the 20th Century, would have been the same if it were not for that one-pointed concentration that is such a feature of autism.

Mozart, Beethoven, Carl Jung, H.P. Lovecraft, Neitschze, Socrates, Leonardo Da Vinci... I could go on, you get my point.
Sorry, I don't. Perhaps I'm missing something? Your first para makes the point of "what of it?" and then you make a point, I'm confused what it is.

If someone is or isn't then yes, so what? Are we defending them against possibly being offended?

Genuine question.
Chucking another log on
boudicca
Sister Midnight

timsinister wrote:Ironically, having met most of you after speaking to you via a computer, I found I prefer it when you're just a series of letters on the screen.

That I can turn off. :lol:
OI!! Thin ice Sinister! Don't make me mock your haircut again!!! :twisted: :P
boudicca
Sister Midnight

ruffers wrote:
boudicca wrote:Does it occur that some individuals out of the 1000 on this board may well have many of the symptoms of mild autism? And if so, what of it?

Sorry, I don't. Perhaps I'm missing something? Your first para makes the point of "what of it?" and then you make a point, I'm confused what it is.

If someone is or isn't then yes, so what? Are we defending them against possibly being offended?

Genuine question.
I got the feeling Mr. Fiend did not start this thread with the intention of using the term autistic as some kind of insult to describe a bunch of diligent, slightly obsessive Sisters followers. But it is sometimes used with the intent of causing offence.
And so, I was just pointing out that it's a sh!ite insult, since it puts individual(s) on the recieving end in VERY good company. If we're all a bunch of autists, that might not be such a dreadful thing.
That's all.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

boudicca wrote:I got the feeling Mr. Fiend did not start this thread with the intention of using the term autistic as some kind of insult to describe a bunch of diligent, slightly obsessive Sisters followers. But it is sometimes used with the intent of causing offence.
And so, I was just pointing out that it's a sh!ite insult, since it puts individual(s) on the recieving end in VERY good company. If we're all a bunch of autists, that might not be such a dreadful thing.
That's all.
Thank you.

Given that (so far) I've had the highest score from anyone who has posted, it would be rather odd if I were using it as an insult. I have long suspected that I have an undiagnosed, albeit mild, form of autism/Asberger's myself. This test goes to show (although as I said it's not diagnostic per se) that I might be right. And that it's a lot more common than people might think.
—Bertrand Russell
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

i have a friend, his 16 year old boy still has to wear a nappy, therefore i don't find it funny.

obsessive compulsive behaviour which is more likely, might be construed as slightly amusing in the right context

anyway...moving on
Goths have feelings too
ruffers
Overbomber

Hmm, I just did it and got 33 myself.

I've never suspected I may have this condition, now I'm concerned or at least have something to think about. Hey, it's just the internet.
Chucking another log on
DerekR
Doobie Brother

timsinister wrote:...That I can turn off. :lol:
No, you only think you can :D
boudicca
Sister Midnight

paint it black wrote:i have a friend, his 16 year old boy still has to wear a nappy, therefore i don't find it funny.

obsessive compulsive behaviour which is more likely, might be construed as slightly amusing in the right context
Erm, no. I don't think it exactly trounces autism in the hilarity stakes...

Can I just make clear though, I'm not suggesting autism is A Wonderful Thing or anything like it. In some cases I know it can be a devastating condition for those with it and their families. Just realised from my earlier post it could sound like I was saying it was a guarantee of genius.

All I mean is, in its mild form, it's less a positive or negative thing, rather simply part of that particular person. There are certainly many people with mild Autism who wouldn't wish to be "cured".
I personally have known two people with autistic symptoms, one diagnosed Asperger's "sufferer" who was one of my best friends at school, and now, one undiagnosed but who sees the traits in himself.(And I must thank you Mark, since reading that list has helped me understand some of his behaviours even better)...
Both are sharp, witty and very intelligent. And lovely people to know. I would not change either of them.
Last edited by boudicca on 06 Sep 2005, 16:30, edited 2 times in total.
canon docre
Overbomber

As the Attention-Deficit-Disorder-girl that I'm, I simply can't concentrate on so many questions. :|
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i've taught one child with autism, and one with aspergers.

been kicked by the former, too, as a measure of his frustration with life, not malice.

somehow i still manage to join in with this thread...
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

I've just spent the afternoon teaching on Autism.

Strange.
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
Dark
Underneath the Rock

This topic sucks because people are taking it too seriously and distorting the original view.
Bad luck, Mr Meerkat.

I scored 9
aims
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:obsessive compulsive behaviour which is more likely, might be construed as slightly amusing in the right context
Until you've experienced it or know someone who's experienced it, at which point it is no longer funny. Outward characteristics of OCD such as repeated actions can border on hilarity at times. The inward effects relating to anxiety and compulsion to do less than savoury things are not funny.

I got 38 and you may draw from that what you will. I've had similar suspicions to Mark, sometimes to the point of obsession (delightfully ironic and self-fulfilling :roll:). However, my mother who works with SEN at a nursery level assures me that it's nothing. That said, she hasn't seen the whole picture :von: (So g0ffick and pensieve, me :roll:).

I don't doubt that there are some with diagnosed Autism that will gracefully disregard this thread and (a common anxiety) I hope that they don't see any of us as making light of it, even in our defensive stance.

I'm sure that there's more to say, but it would degenerate to less than coherent (kind of like my answer to the "Should you 'risk' your child becoming Autistic through MMR?" question on the Biology GCSE, but that's another story :lol:).