Wasps, where are they?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

ruffers wrote:The lack of wasps has been balanced out by a glut of daddy-long-legs it appears, although I don't mind them so much.
Ye gods! Daddy-long-legs freak me out. Their legs are way too long. I can feel my skin prickle just thinking about them. :urff:

Now I bet some cnut will post a picture of one and I'll be sick.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
ruffers
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
ruffers wrote:The lack of wasps has been balanced out by a glut of daddy-long-legs it appears, although I don't mind them so much.
Ye gods! Daddy-long-legs freak me out. Their legs are way too long. I can feel my skin prickle just thinking about them. :urff:

I know I said they weren't so bad but I'm going off them rapidly, I had one buzzing round my head all last night. Horrible creature. Heading for the list at this rate.
Chucking another log on
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

markfiend wrote:

Now this is a sight to see :lol: men scared of *harmless* daddy-long-legs....I used to play with them as a child.....seriously... :P

MB :lol: daddy-long-legs will come and get you..... :notworthy:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
ruffers
Overbomber

MadameButterfly wrote: Now this is a sight to see :lol: men scared of *harmless* daddy-long-legs....I used to play with them as a child.....seriously... :P

MB :lol: daddy-long-legs will come and get you..... :notworthy:
I used to play with them as a child too, happily pulling thier legs off and what have you. They were smaller then though, they've evolved....
Chucking another log on
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I know they're harmless, it's just... the legs :urff:

:lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I assume those are some sort of spiders?

I was bored a couple of years ago and started cutting off a spiders's legs one by one... Sadly he passed away after two :(
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Yeah, daddy-long-legs is indeed a harmful spider and I think global too.....ones I used to pull apart....were not tiny...in South Africa daddy-long-legs are quite large and their legs are too.....now I like the feel of daddy-long-legs walking on my bare flesh.... :innocent:

:lol:
that ongoing eternity
ruffers
Overbomber

:lol: :lol: :lol: This could get interesting. The one I'm talking about is an extremely harmless fly, more formally known as a cranefly. I'd post a pic but markfiend would get frightened. :eek:
Chucking another log on
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

London..

my mates garden was full of the feckers on Saturday afternoon whilst I was out sitting in the sun trying to drink beer!

dammit!
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

ruffers wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: This could get interesting. The one I'm talking about is an extremely harmless fly, more formally known as a cranefly. I'd post a pic but markfiend would get frightened. :eek:
Dare you!!!! :twisted: let's scare... :innocent:

MB :lol:
that ongoing eternity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Craneflies (What me and Ruffers are talking about as "Daddy long legs")

Harvestmen (Arachnids also otherwise known as Daddy long legs)

*Phew*

See, I can overcome my phobia if I try :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
DerekR
Doobie Brother

MadameButterfly wrote:Now this is a sight to see :lol: men scared of *harmless* daddy-long-legs....I used to play with them as a child.....seriously... :P
Harmless? :eek: You do realize that they have the most lethal poison known to man...but no means with which to deliver it?

Yes, I have seen Ricky Gervais' Animals :notworthy:
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

markfiend wrote:Craneflies (What me and Ruffers are talking about as "Daddy long legs")

Harvestmen (Arachnids also otherwise known as Daddy long legs)

*Phew*

See, I can overcome my phobia if I try :lol:
:lol: o.k. to clear up things....the Daddy-long-legs....are in this quote the Harvestmen....scroll down....last photo...by Jeff....indeed Daddy-long-legs.....they do not bite, therefore harmless..... :wink:

Good for YOU Mark...always good to overcome a phobia... :wink:
that ongoing eternity
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

DerekR wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:Now this is a sight to see :lol: men scared of *harmless* daddy-long-legs....I used to play with them as a child.....seriously... :P
Harmless? :eek: You do realize that they have the most lethal poison known to man...but no means with which to deliver it?

:lol: I think we are talking about another kind of *daddy-long-legs*

MB :lol: :kiss:
that ongoing eternity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

MadameButterfly wrote:Good for YOU Mark...always good to overcome a phobia... :wink:
:lol: Well, a picture's one thing, the real deal is another...
—Bertrand Russell
canon docre
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:I assume those are some sort of spiders?

I was bored a couple of years ago and started cutting off a spiders's legs one by one... Sadly he passed away after two :(
Recent studies suggest, that there'a a strong connection between animal torturing and deviant sexual sadism. In fact, 70% of all sexual offenders are animal torturers as well. On the other hand, animal torturers have a 5-times higher risk of eventually committing an act of violence.

We know the path you'll follow Obviousman. :von:

:innocent:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

markfiend wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:Good for YOU Mark...always good to overcome a phobia... :wink:
:lol: Well, a picture's one thing, the real deal is another...
:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol:

Promise me to wait with the phobia in real life until I can see it with my own eyes. PLEASE..... :lol:

MB :kiss:
that ongoing eternity
DerekR
Doobie Brother

I've got a dead one currently on my windowsill, I can take a picture if you think it will help with your phobia mark :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'll leave it ta :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

canon docre wrote:
Obviousman wrote:I assume those are some sort of spiders?

Recent studies suggest, that there'a a strong connection between animal torturing and deviant sexual sadism. In fact, 70% of all sexual offenders are animal torturers as well. On the other hand, animal torturers have a 5-times higher risk of eventually committing an act of violence.

We know the path you'll follow Obviousman. :von:

:innocent:
I'm obviously in the other 30%... :von:

However, is such research done on Heartlanders :lol: ?
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
smiscandlon
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Craneflies (What me and Ruffers are talking about as "Daddy long legs")
They tickle if you pick them up between cupped hands.

Well everyone's got to have a hobby. :roll:
анархия
boudicca
Sister Midnight

smiscandlon wrote:
They tickle if you pick them up between cupped hands.

Well everyone's got to have a hobby. :roll:
:lol: I actually did that just the other night because one was in my room and I hadn't the heart to kill it. After spending about half an hour trying to usher it out with the sleeve booklet of Siouxsie and the Banshees' "Peepshow", I thought the poor little bastard might have himself a coronary from the stress of being chased around by a lady-giant, so I picked him up and popped him out on the landing.

I'm just a big softie. :oops: :roll: :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

ruffers wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: This could get interesting. The one I'm talking about is an extremely harmless fly
It's also known in the West of Scotland as a jenny long legs, but the term's interchangeable with daddy long legs. Am I the only one here that actually likes them? I even freed one from a spider's web once. I like the way they dance and they make a great noise. And they really don't deserve having their legs pulled off. :( As for amputating spiders' legs one by one, Roy Batey did exactly that in Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? to test if spiders needed as many as 8 legs. Put me off Replicants a bit that did!
Thea
Overbomber

MadameButterfly wrote:
DerekR wrote:

:lol: I think we are talking about another kind of *daddy-long-legs*

MB :lol: :kiss:
Possibly. But as usual Snopes has the full story...
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

A wasp ruined an otherwise magnificent sesh at the pub, midway through my Endeavour Ale and Chicken Tikka. We weren't able to mount a reasonable defence - Ellie and Rich just sat there, Laura and Lauren ran like cowards, and I'd lost most of my hand-to-eye co-ordination and smacked everything but the buzzing b@stard.

I'm done with this summer thing now. :von: