the Van Der Graaf Generator

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

Nutter Alert!

myself and a few mates (including someone who will remain nameless, till he 'fess's up!) :innocent: will be there for the Glasgow recital of this reformed combo.

VDGG are probably the first 'Gothic', in the true sense of the word, band. Their leader even recorded this

which I have still to hear
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
scotty
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Nutter Alert!

myself and a few mates (including someone who will remain nameless, till he 'fess's up!) :innocent: will be there for the Glasgow recital of this reformed combo.

VDGG are probably the first 'Gothic', in the true sense of the word band
A bit more info is needed James I think-
Where?
When?
And who the f**k is it'll do for starters.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
aims
Overbomber

Van Der Graaf Generator.

The band, not the charge generating mushroom type thing o.o
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

I can't say I've ever heard of them but they certainly sound interesting. Do they have an official website I can check out?
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I'm checking soulseek on them, know them by name but that's about it :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

VDGG
they stopped having a bass player after the first couple of albums, too:(
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Petseri
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:they stopped having a bass player after the first couple of albums, too :(
Do any other such bands come to mind?
Debaser
Overbomber

VDGG are probably the first 'Gothic', in the true sense of the word, band. Their leader even recorded this

which I have still to hear
If they'll do fer Copey, they'll do fer me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
steamhammerdave
Road Kill

You know my thoughts on the great VDGG already, James :notworthy:
What are we gonna do now then?
Eat the phone book...
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

OK, he means me. I'm not familiar with the band myself but I'm trusting the judgement of a couple of good friends with very good taste - Mr Blast being one of them. :notworthy: The band has been compared to early Genesis, so that's enough to get my attention.
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

One of the mighty Lydon's faves too.
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
steamhammerdave
Road Kill

They aren't at all like early Genesis :lol:
What are we gonna do now then?
Eat the phone book...
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

steamhammerdave wrote:They aren't at all like early Genesis :lol:
I think the comparison was more the length of their songs rather than the music itself. :D
James Blast
Banned

~ Peter Steele
allfear

if hes there say Hi to Chris 'judge' smith for me!!!
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

James - "I am the necromancer"

TOP!!!

BD
Hell is other people
James Blast
Banned

resurrecting this one for oor latest convert mh :D
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Oh aye :D :notworthy:

Top notch stuff from Herr Blast once more ;D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
mh
Above the Chemist

You betcha!

Still utterly amazed that it took some Blast Intervention (tm) to motivate me to check them out further. I'd heard enough to get to the point where I'd normally check out a band, but never got round to it with the mighty VDGG.

So Pawn Hearts is the one, right? And H to He is also mighty fine. But I've also heard good stuff about Godbluff. How does it compare?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

I think a Godbluff DVD could find its way to Dublin, whaddya rekon Master Z? :wink:

Blast Productsâ„¢ there for those awkward Progrock moments
~ Peter Steele
wild bill buttock

I've only ever heard "Theme one" but having heard so much about them, I am intrigued.
Recommendation for the VDGG novice would be welcome.
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
James Blast
Banned

wild bill buttock wrote:I've only ever heard "Theme one" but having heard so much about them, I am intrigued.
Recommendation for the VDGG novice would be welcome.
I would actually recommend their most recent album 'Present'.
I think you ken the drill aboot 'evaluation copies' Willie. :innocent:
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

You'll have to leave that one to Blast, as our resident VDGG-meister. Doing what I did and buying Pawn Hearts, then listening to A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers first - all on the back of a relative handful of tracks - is most certainly not for the fainthearted. If you feel you're up to it, by all means do, but if you're found crawling out of a hedge with bits of foliage in your hair the next morning, screaming "I prophesy disaster!!!" at complete strangers, don't come running to me!!!
:lol:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

I prophesy disaster...

did you listen to the Glasgow 2005 gig (which I and my most esteemed colleague Andrew S were at) Michael?

That one's a Killer! :twisted:
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

Oh aye, quite nice it was too. Wasn't familiar with most of the stuff, but did enjoy the version of Killer.