Won't make it in today...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Radio news informs me that more and more people are pulling sick days, with crazy excuses up to and including deaths in the family, and burglaries.

Obviously, I've never needed to take a day off, as I don't do any work when I'm here. Have you ever fabricated a transparent fallacy to bunk off? Do you approve of this workshy attitude? Can I have a slice of toast?
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Since I'm a cronic malingerer, I've used every excuse under the sun... I'll get back to you when I can think of an example.
Last edited by nick the stripper on 23 Sep 2005, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

I actually have an excellent attendance record.

But my timekeeping is another matter entirely, so I'm more likely to be heard making excuses for being late in the morning (you can only get away with blaming public transport so many times).

:D
анархия
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

That's exactly it, smis! You need to start becoming ridiculously extravagant, like the bus turned into a giant meringue or you got kidnapped by Chechnyan seperatists, or had to fight off hordes of mutant Simon Cowells, decrying your ability to sing whilst simultaneously trying to eat the flesh from your living bones...

I'm pretty sure that's the one that got me fired, actually. ;D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

"Going to the dentist" is my usual standby.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

timsinister wrote:That's exactly it, smis! You need to start becoming ridiculously extravagant, like the bus turned into a giant meringue or you got kidnapped by Chechnyan seperatists, or had to fight off hordes of mutant Simon Cowells, decrying your ability to sing whilst simultaneously trying to eat the flesh from your living bones...
But all those things have actually happened to you in reality, haven't they?

Poor Timmy.

Now, what's all this about you not doing any work...? :eek: :innocent: :wink:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
ruffers
Overbomber

I average 1 or 2 days a year and am starting to think I'm missing out. Like smiscandlon though my timekeeping's abysmal, I mentally balance the two out and don't get over excited if I'm a bit late.

Let's face it - if you're going to be 10 minutes late you might as well make it half an hour and have a cup of tea and some toast.
Chucking another log on
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

The most exciting excuse I ever had was being trapped in my parent's town by a massive snowstorm. There were six foot drifts over the entire bus station, and the bastard's still didn't believe me.

Boudicca, I prioritise my work. One document, one visit to Heartland, one phone-call, one visit to Livejournal, one bit of filing, one visit to Hotmail...

;D
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

ruffers wrote:I average 1 or 2 days a year and am starting to think I'm missing out. Like smiscandlon though my timekeeping's abysmal, I mentally balance the two out and don't get over excited if I'm a bit late.

Let's face it - if you're going to be 10 minutes late you might as well make it half an hour and have a cup of tea and some toast.
the trouble with that thinking is: the bradford factor isn't just how many people live in some ghetto, it's also, the formal version of the 'mental balancing act'

http://www.incomesdata.co.uk/studies/bradford.htm
Goths have feelings too
ruffers
Overbomber

errrrr :|

Sorry if I'm being slow today but you have completely and utterly lost me.
Chucking another log on
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

A few months ago I had a party and did not feel like working the day after so I called work to say I had a flu. I stayed home for a couple of days and started working again. After a couple of weeks I had a real flu. My boss said there might be someting wrong with my imune system. :innocent:
"as we walk on the floodland"
boudicca
Sister Midnight

timsinister wrote:bastard's
YOU'RE DOING IT AGAIN!!!! :eek: :evil: :P :roll:

Where's Ems, she'll sort you out...

ONE phone-call? AYE RIGHT I'LL BE SHINING!! :innocent:
ruffers
Overbomber

Ozpat wrote:A few months ago I had a party and did not feel like working the day after so I called work to say I had a flu. I stayed home for a couple of days and started working again. After a couple of weeks I had a real flu. My boss said there might be someting wrong with my imune system. :innocent:
Why not just ring in and be honest enough to tell the truth and take it as holiday. Or, better yet, why not book the days off in advance knowing you're having the party. Or even better, why not bear in mind you're working the next day and behave as such?
Chucking another log on
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

ruffers wrote:
Ozpat wrote:A few months ago I had a party and did not feel like working the day after so I called work to say I had a flu. I stayed home for a couple of days and started working again. After a couple of weeks I had a real flu. My boss said there might be someting wrong with my imune system. :innocent:
Why not just ring in and be honest enough to tell the truth and take it as holiday. Or, better yet, why not book the days off in advance knowing you're having the party. Or even better, why not bear in mind you're working the next day and behave as such?
Let's say I learned my lesson well. :oops:
A bit of a problem is that I cannot get a day off when I call in the morning. It has to be booked in advance. So I should have done that as you mention as well.
Behave as such? Well sometimes this just doesn't work.
"as we walk on the floodland"
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

boudicca wrote:

I like the word bastard. It applies to a lot of people whose heritage I would question. ;D

And that's one phonecall to the business, not one phonecall to you.
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

I once managed a glorious 3-day skive, claiming it was food poisoning after the works Christmas night out. The beauty of it was I found out afterwards that a fellow employee actually did get ill after ordering the same dish as I had, so nobody questionned the story. :) I took a quite a few sickies at that job and I really should have just got my arse out of bed and into work instead. A lame excuse I know but, if I'd just taken holidays rather than sickies, I wouldn't have been able to make most of the 2003 tour damnit!
scotty
Overbomber

Everyone is entitled to a week on the sick,fact!!!.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
boudicca
Sister Midnight

timsinister wrote:
boudicca wrote:

I like the word bastard. It applies to a lot of people whose heritage I would question. ;D

And that's one phonecall to the business, not one phonecall to you.
You imbecile! I'm talking about your SHOCKING overuse of apostrophes. We have been here before, need I remind you! :roll: :P

So the work/leisure phonecall ratio stands at about 1:50, correct? I can't believe you've lasted more than a day in that place! :lol: ;D
canon docre
Overbomber

I tried to bring in a suddenly sick aunt, when I wanted to attend the Celebrity Plane Crash shenanigans this year.

Obviously it didn't work out. :(
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I couldn't make it to work once as I was still in London hungover after a manic weekend of clubbing and gigging :wink:

I also managed a two day skive this year (to go clubbing and gigging :lol: ) saying I had "women's problems" - always works with a male boss)
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

The day I had to go for my driver's licence I didn't go to school on the excuse of having been sick in the morning... We have a good doctor here :lol:

Oh, and exams started just the day after... Still, that time I did pass :innocent:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
DerekR
Doobie Brother

ruffers wrote:Why not just ring in and be honest enough to tell the truth and take it as holiday. Or, better yet, why not book the days off in advance knowing you're having the party. Or even better, why not bear in mind you're working the next day and behave as such?
How terribly grown up :lol:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:I also managed a two day skive this year (to go clubbing and gigging :lol: ) saying I had "women's problems" - always works with a male boss)
:lol: Oh yes, that one never fails.

And the look of "aaaaarrrrrggghhh!" on his face is always priceless as well... :lol: :notworthy: :twisted:

"Oh sure, go, go. Take all the time you need, a day, a week... just don't talk to me about women's things!!!!"
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

boudicca wrote:

having a day out with Mr S.

tim.. i'm still watching you
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

when i worked for the Land Registry my sick record was appalling.i had something like three times as many self-certified sick days as was necessary to incur a disciplinary.
however you could have up to two years sick in any four year period if you had a doctor's certificate,on full pay!.so every few months i'ld trot along to the quack's and say i was feeling very depressed over the death of my father (who'ld been dead for a good six years) and get signed off for a month. full pay,an excuse to be seen out and about because it's not a physical illness,and nobody says a dickiebird when you go back 'cause it's depression. :wink:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: