I'm off to Chennai

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
ruffers
Overbomber

aka Madras, with work for a week.

Stupidly I managed to book flights which only give me one free day to myself which is Saturday next week so...... anyone been? Anything I really shouldn't miss or anything in particular I really should buy?

(I'm quite excited by the way)
Chucking another log on
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Certainly never been, so no recommendations... but have a lovely time! 8)
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

ruffers wrote: (I'm quite excited by the way)
Never been but have a marvellous time and take some photos and a quick report of the experience....and be safe.

Enjoy, enjoy and enjoy on the bosses' expense! :wink:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Jaimie1980
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Is that India? Enjoy. 8)
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Have a good time :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

When the Heartlanders holiday, they don't mess about! Two continents seized? Sorted.

Have fun, don't catch anything, start a war!
ruffers
Overbomber

I'd been intending to get a picture wearing a Heartland tee claiming some territory.... but I haven't got one. :lol:
Chucking another log on
ruffers
Overbomber

By the miracle of wi-fi and the wait for a plane, your correspondent posts some initial thoughts from Chennai aiport.

Sooo, it's been interesting. Most of it was hotel taxi office type business trip stuff apart from today, but the exciting bit was Thursday. 25cm of rain in 18 hours, 40 in 40 hours, whole city flooded and shut down with no power or anything. Did anyone tell ruffers the office would be closed? Course not. So I made the taxi driver go down the river of a main road to get me there and he clearly wasn't impressed :lol: :lol: Never seen weather like it though.

Today was the free day and a guy from work showed me round. Although you're warned about the poverty it's not the same as seeing it, I'm still getting my head round it to be honest. People just lying down and going to sleep on waste land by the road, and not the odd one - I saw hundreds myself.

What can't be denied though is the sheer energy of the place - just a walk down a shopping street lined with stalls, shops, hawkers and all. Especially after dark, a really intense atmosphere, quite inspirational in a way.

I've every intention of going again and organising it better so I get more time.
Chucking another log on
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Seems like you had quite an impressive time nevertheless :notworthy:

Oh, and that taxi, was it one of those Hindustan Ambasadors/Morris Oxfords? :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr