The mighty Bunnymen :notworthy:

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Well folks, what can I say? First time I've ever been late for a gig in my life....and it was the gig of a lifetime! Words cannot describe just how fantastic the Bunnymen were last night, in front of "the best crowd in the world" <- Mac's very words. I arrived just about halfway through Dancing Horses (had to check into my hotel as I had some dubious substances on me and didn't fancy a pat down at the Barras :innocent: ).

Looks quite far away from here, dunnit?

Anyway, I thought, fine, so the place is packed, I'll just stand at the bar.....hmmm howabout NAE FCUKING WAY! i was heading 'doon the front' as soon as my beer was done. Scissors in the Sand started, shockingly I was the only one in my immediate area singing along, c'moan folks, the albums been oot over a month now! Anyways, everybody knew the next couple, All That Jazz followed by a STORMING Back Of Love.

Then the tingles started creeping up my spine as Will started the intro to The Killing Moon

OMG I'm in heaven 8) Mac didn't need to sing much of this one, the crowd took over, he just stood beside the mic, smiling.

Aother new one, In The Margins followed, sounding fantastic, this band are TIGHT right now, then the place went bounce crazy as Never Stop rang out, always a live favourite. Villiers Terrace was then upon us before I even realized what it was, shocking eh? Call myself a fan? lol (I was fiddling with my camera phone which had suddenly died - I gotta get me one of those tiny wee digital cams some day). Of A Life was next, now when I first heard this I thought 'instant live classic', I wasn't wrong, this went down a STORM, I knew it would. A couple of classics to end part one, Rescue and The Cutter, cue much more loud (jeezus how LOUD?) crowd singing...

Off they went then, to return a few minutes later with Nothing Lasts Forever, complete with 'la-la-la' bv's courtesy of your Barras crowd, fantastic! This inevitably turned into Walk On The Wild Side, as it does, and then into something else I can't remember (I was close to passing out by now) but it was by The Doors (no, not People Are Emily Strange). Then the place ERUPTED for Lips Like Sugar (earlier someone in the crowd had shouted for this - Mac's response? "Laps Like Sugar? What the fook are Laps?" :lol: Aye, that's the weegie twang for ye!). I think Mac also sang Summer Wind for a bit, not sure when though ;)

Off they went again, we knew they'd be back, after all Ocean Rain was to come (but not before Mac had to show the new guitarist the opening chords - lol). What happened next can only be described as the closest I have ever come to a religious experience (or wish to) . The definitive version of Ocean Rain - majestic, soaring, absolutelyfuckingbeautiful - the tingles were up my spine, across my head and right down my front! I have never heard it played so beautifully, I was close to tears I tell ye.

And so it was over, the houselights came on and we did the 'herded out like sheep' thing once more. Typically I forgot to check out if there were any T shirts on sale (I was a bit tired and emotional).

If all the bands I like split up tomorrow, as long as the Bunnymen remain playing gigs like this then I'll be a happy chappy.

Eldritch? who he? :lol: Mac shows Von how Smoke and Mirrors is really done

The only minus point must go to the wanker bouncers at the Barras - throwing people out for the terrible crime of....wait for it....sitting on someone's shoulders! What the FCUK? When did a Barras crowd ever need babysitting FFS? Sorry but I'm very angry about this (as was Mac last night), ejecting people for this is totally out of order. Most people stopped doing it when told but that didn't stop the complete tossers from STILL throwing them out. THIS IS NOT ON :x

:notworthy: to Blast for the setlist :lol: and :notworthy: to Express by TravelInn for having a hotel within 10 minutes stagger from the Barras (past the late night Tesco, natch ;))

I need a long lie doon. How the hell are the haus gonna beat this?
scotty
Overbomber

Glad you enjoyed as much Derek, there's not much can beat the feeling of standing in front of your favorite band when they're playing a blinder, here's hoping the 'Haus are as good!.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Debaser
Overbomber

Just got back from seeing them in Sheff....aye they were ok :D :D :D :D :D

Macca did ramble on about the crowd last night.

We took photies but they'll be s**t as the rider must've said dry ice every 30 seconds or I'm off....
Last edited by Debaser on 26 Oct 2005, 21:15, edited 2 times in total.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Debaser
Overbomber

and yues there were teeshirts but I only caught a glimpse (one was red with a head silhoutte of Mr Mac) and other stuff but I didn't pay attention.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Nice review...thanks! :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Batfish
Road Kill

Can't wait till Thursday now...! :D
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

DerekR wrote:What happened next can only be described as the closest I have ever come to a religious experience (or wish to) . The definitive version of Ocean Rain - majestic, soaring, absolutelyfuckingbeautiful - the tingles were up my spine, across my head and right down my front! I have never heard it played so beautifully, I was close to tears I tell ye.
That is just so romantic it is almost poetic!!!
I am glad you had an experience like that....and the dedication to share it will us...thanks DerekR!!! *sweet dreams*
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
christophe
Overbomber

10/11. is my magic day 8)
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Never stopped blaming myself for missing their gig
in Athens a few years ago
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Yeah, absolutely storming gig.
Nicely varied set list, too.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
James Blast
Banned

Image Quality! DR Image
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

can I linky this post to The Bunnymen Forum, its too feckin' good tae lie dormant here?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
DerekR
Doobie Brother

course ye can man, i'd post it there but i'm too lazy. i've been lurking there though, might have tae join in soon.

it's different frae here tho, i'm scared :lol:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

DerekR wrote: it's different frae here tho, i'm scared :lol:
Different as in populated by 'normal' people :?: :eek: :lol:

Steer clear. They're well wierd, them normal types.
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
DerekR
Doobie Brother

OMG i just checked out Lady V's video clips and i swear i can hear myself belting oot The Killing Moon (I'm the one that gets the words to the second verse right :innocent: ).
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Planet Dave wrote:Different as in populated by 'normal' people :?: :eek: :lol:
Yeah, well them and Blast :lol:
snowey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

So looking forward to tomorrow evening :D
a.r.kane
Amphetamine Filth

I am pleased to see such adulation for the greatest band in the world ever . . . . . .

its all Simple Stuff
DerekR
Doobie Brother

snowey wrote:So looking forward to tomorrow evening :D
Wish I was going to Sheffield too. You checked out the clips from Glasgow yet?

clicky

you might have to register for the forum, not sure
DerekR
Doobie Brother

a.r.kane wrote:the greatest band in the world ever . . . . . .
A conclusion I came to recently. For a while I wasn't sure. Now I am :notworthy:
snowey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

DerekR wrote:
snowey wrote:So looking forward to tomorrow evening :D
Wish I was going to Sheffield too. You checked out the clips from Glasgow yet?

clicky

you might have to register for the forum, not sure
It's Manchester not Sheffield on Thursday. (had me worried there)
Batfish
Road Kill

Oh yes. It's Manchester on Thursday, for sure. :) Just off to pick up my tickets now. :D
DerekR
Doobie Brother

snowey wrote:It's Manchester not Sheffield on Thursday. (had me worried there)
lol, blame Gid Coe on 6music, he said it was sheffield. soz for the panic :lol:
a.r.kane
Amphetamine Filth

DerekR wrote:
A conclusion I came to recently. For a while I wasn't sure. Now I am :notworthy:
such a shame Pete isn't alive to see them hailed - the greatest drummer I have ever experienced live
DerekR
Doobie Brother

a.r.kane wrote:
DerekR wrote:
such a shame Pete isn't alive to see them hailed - the greatest drummer I have ever experienced live
Yeah sadly a sight I only witnessed the once, in 88