Geek's corner -need your help!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

so then, can anybody explain to me -in nice bright early learning centre words of a layperson stylee- what i need to copy analogue sounds to pc (so that i can make a digital copy). do i need special software and what do i need in the way of input leads -i have USBII and mini-jack microphone input;could i just use phono>mini-jack?

cheers
Lee 8)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid

oh, while i remember : many thanks to wayne who patiently explained it to me in the pub -unfortunately it was all a bit over my head as you went into detail. :oops: that coupled with the george and getting trashed later has erased anything of use from my brain!sorry! :notworthy:

Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Analogue as in casette and LP :?:

I'd be very interested to find out too :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Download a proggie that allows you to record audio. SoundForge comes to mind, also ProTools Lite (free, but maybe a bit too much to start with) and maybe CoolEdit Pro (never used it). You can find something (shareware or free) on sites such as www.tucows.com

Then, when you have a stereo rack, you can simply use the HeadPhone OUT of your stereo rack amplifier and connect it to the Line In of your soundcard, normally with a jack/jack cable. (try to avoid using the MIC INPUT, only when that's the only inout you have, you can use it. Technical details not necessary, if you feel lucky, just try them both :twisted:)

BUT: always turn down ALL volumes first! Depending on your setup, audio settings and/or soundcard, you can have a very high input which can damage (besides your ears) your speakers or headphone!

Then start playing around with the 'recording' knobbies of your Windows Audio configuration (eg the 'volume' thingy in your right bottom side of the taskbar, double click to access).

You can use the HeadPhone OUT output of your soundcard or PC as monitoring device to hear if you receive data or not.

For a more specific explanation, I need some more details, like your OS, your soundcard (the in-and output of it mainly) and your 'source' (eg stereo rack or portable boombox or MD or...)

Good luck!

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

for my mac it takes an interface (stereo input and output for normal stereo plugs (red/white) at one end, usb-connection (=plug) at the other end). The wire/line leads from the headphones output from my stereo/md/tape to the input plugs of the interface.
I need that interface because I don't have a mic line-in in my mac. I think. :roll: If you have a mic line-in you probably don't need an interface.

For the recording on my mac it takes a special recording software, and I believe Audacity can do it (which is freeware; find the link somewhere in the weeding section, in the cd-recommendation, the faq or another techie thread), although as I stated elswhere, I work with another software.

It's easy. I wish you good luck.
You can't fix stupid.
James Blast
Banned

Eva wrote:I think. :roll: If you have a mic line-in you probably don't need an interface.
correctomundo Eva

I use CD Spin Doctor 2.0 that came bundled with Toast 6.0, Grand Master Mixer mf sent me a copy of Sound Studio 2.0 which more or less does the same job. If any MacTypes are interested in a copy of either, you know the drill... :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Eva

Spin Doctor and Soundstudio? I used to use soundstudio too, but had to switch to something else at some point. Can't remember why. Probably because it didn't work on my new mac for some reason or other. Or because it wasnt able to record AND let you edit the recordings. Audacity and (my beloved) Amadeus II do both.

What the heck's spin doctor doing? Just looking good? :wink:
You can't fix stupid.
James Blast
Banned

well I haven't really had a serious look at the two I mentioned, but I'm sure SS will let you edit, Grand Master Mixer mf also sent me a text file full of tips
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
eastmidswhizzkid

thanks to everybody :notworthy: - i'll see how i get on 8)

Andie
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:thanks to everybody :notworthy: - i'll see how i get on 8)
*secretly thinks that you are fcuked*

you had to ask the Mac department didn't you... :roll:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Cdex (look for it in google), lets you record
from an analogue input to various MP3 bitrates, or wav too I think.
Its free.
Eva

Burn wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:thanks to everybody :notworthy: - i'll see how i get on 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: He didn't exactly choose the mac department, rather it was the mac department that dropped in on him... :innocent:
You can't fix stupid.
Andie
Overbomber

Eva wrote:
Burn wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: He didn't exactly choose the mac department, rather it was the mac department that dropped in on him... :innocent:
true Eva...and with the most respect to all Mac users here...

he's royally screwed :innocent: :wink: :lol:
Eva

:lol: :lol: :lol: Especially if - as in my case - he gets answers from hopeless wanna-be-geeks.... :roll:
You can't fix stupid.
Pat
Slight Overbomber

So EMWK you've had all weekend,how did you get on.
eastmidswhizzkid

in all truthfulness i haven't attempted it at all yet.
sussing that nero's shit- hot for cd's but just plain shit for dvd's has taken a lot of the weekend.
and then burning thousands of cdr's to free up enough space on my hard drive for ripping dvd's once i had the process and software sorted seemed to fill up all my computer time (HL as well of course and a moderate amount of pacman :innocent: ).
i've also been kid's halloween-partying and stuff...is that enough excuses? :lol:

seriously though it's the next thing on my agenda....that and going to see motorhead on tuesday ;D

Andie
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:in all truthfulness i haven't attempted it at all yet.
you know that you're screwed :wink: :lol:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:sussing that nero's shit- hot for cd's but just plain shit for dvd's has taken a lot of the weekend.
and then burning thousands of cdr's to free up enough space on my hard drive for ripping dvd's once i had the process and software sorted seemed to fill up all my computer time (HL as well of course and a moderate amount of pacman :innocent: ).
i've also been kid's halloween-partying and stuff...is that enough excuses? :lol:

seriously though it's the next thing on my agenda....that and going to see motorhead on tuesday ;D
Motorhead....mmmm :innocent: