Boys and Girls: British Pop Music of the 1980s

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Did anyone see this last night? A bloody good overview from the death of punk to the death of New Romantic. Absolutely no reference to Goth at all, maybe next time?

Opinions?
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

timsinister wrote:

Opinions?

The lovely Karen from Bananarama just gets better with age! :oops: :eek:
Give me one good reason
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

When you look back at the AIDS panic now, you see how wrong they were about how Britain would be affected.

Not to say that a lot of people didn't die; I lost a couple of friends myself. Just saying it to put the current "bird flu" panic into perspective.

Anyway, yeah, the music. I would have thought that goff would have been mentioned in this one; The Smiths and Mozza got a good few minutes, and they were approximately contemporaneous with the Sissies' heyday. Even though the chart success came more with the Floodland stuff, it's still the same few years as the Smiths last and Mozza's first albums. I dunno.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

Spiggy's hat wrote:
timsinister wrote:

Opinions?

The lovely Karen from Bananarama just gets better with age! :oops: :eek:
Keren.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:Anyway, yeah, the music. I would have thought that goff would have been mentioned in this one; The Smiths and Mozza got a good few minutes, and they were approximately contemporaneous with the Sissies' heyday. Even though the chart success came more with the Floodland stuff, it's still the same few years as the Smiths last and Mozza's first albums. I dunno.
well would you mention Goth if you didnt have to? :lol: ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:
markfiend wrote:Anyway, yeah, the music. I would have thought that goff would have been mentioned in this one; The Smiths and Mozza got a good few minutes, and they were approximately contemporaneous with the Sissies' heyday. Even though the chart success came more with the Floodland stuff, it's still the same few years as the Smiths last and Mozza's first albums. I dunno.
well would you mention Goth if you didnt have to? :lol: ;)
There was a feature on Goth, on the 'I ♥ The 80's' series a couple of years ago. I didn't video it, but it's bound to be repeated at some point.
Give me one good reason
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Spiggy's hat wrote: There was a feature on Goth, on the 'I ♥ The 80's' series a couple of years ago. I didn't video it, but it's bound to be repeated at some point.
Ah... I videoed that, but me mam taped over it with Corrie. :lol:
Wasn't the Hussbag one of the ones providing "insight"...? :roll:
Oh, and they mentioned the word to Siouxsie, and she recoiled in utter horror. :lol: :notworthy:
The Cult featured, but no Sisters as far as I can recall.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

boudicca wrote:no Sisters as far as I can recall.
Are you surprised, given :von:'s antipathy to the "g-word"?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Noted. I read that 'In The Reptile House...' book and the tiny fragments of direct Sisters stuff was scratched out of contemporary articles and interviews. Then view the ongoing spat with Mercer. I cannot see anyone from Baxcorp deigning to be involved in a cobbled-together tv-filler show like "I Love..."
boudicca
Sister Midnight

markfiend wrote:
boudicca wrote:no Sisters as far as I can recall.
Are you surprised, given :von:'s antipathy to the "g-word"?
It would've been priceless if they'd got their hands on 'im...

...he'd probably nut the interviewer before the "-th" even came out. :lol: :twisted: :von: :notworthy:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
robertzombie
Overbomber

I've been watching the series and I had a feeling they would do maybe 1 minute on the 80s Goth Scene. Then when they mentioned Leeds I thought, "here we go!" but alas, no.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Spiggy's hat wrote:The lovely Karen from Bananarama just gets better with age! :oops: :eek:
Revr'nd!

Total MILF :notworthy:

Didn't think The Sisters would get a mention, but watched it anyway.