England v Pakistan (test cricket)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

So the inevitable backlash to the Ashes victory is well and truly underway. After losing the first test, England will be very lucky to avoid defeat in the second, being 107-5 at tea chasing 285 on the last day.

All the fair-weather fans are nowhere to be seen...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
streamline
Slight Overbomber

It might help if we had sent some top order batsmen out there who inspire confidence rather than watching a succession of people that you expect to be out next ball - and lo and behold they are!! Too many of our batsmen fail too often and we usually rely on one good knock and the tail to get us out of trouble.

An out of form captain doesn't help either.

The Ashes was a great success - but the press seem to think that we will beat everybody all of the time which simply won't happen. I still don't think we are the best in the world - but we are not far off.

:eek: gets off soap box

All the fair weather fans have drifted back to Chelsea by now...... :innocent:

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

10 for 3 rather sums up our powers of resistance and concentration.

Still, at least we have that sense of familiarity back. :? :lol:

To be honest though, we're only two or three players short of being an outstanding team. And they have put up a good fight in patches over the two tests so far.

Can anyone on here spin a ball? Even a bit. If so, the management may want to hear from you. :lol:
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Bats of balsa wood. :lol:

But realistically we hardly ever win tests in Pakistan. Partly because we hardly ever play over there, but largely because it's one of the hardest places to go.

The Ashes win was about the gap closing between an unbeatable Australia and the rest of world cricket. Right now there are four teams who are fairly close to each other. Makes it a bit more interesting.

Alternatively, pick more Durham players. I'm serious. When we had two in an Ashes test side for the first time ever, we won the Ashes! For the first time in 18 years! Job done. Strong Durham, strong England.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

i think we're being a tad harsh here people in succumbing to the british tabloid disease of declaring our sportsmen to be either the very best or the very worst in the world depending solely on the latest result.

our top five batsmen currently all average over forty in tests and three of them have averaged forty plus in the current series. admittedly, neither strauss nor vaughan has yet to have a decent knock but surely everyone is allowed a lean patch? and let's not brush over the fact that we've twiced scored over 400.

for me, our depleted bowling attack is more of a cause for concern. as always in the sub-continent, our lack of any decent spinners is exposed as a major weakness. add in the continuing absence of simon jones and our bowlers just aren't doing enough to put the pakistani batsmen under pressure.

anyway, in the time it's taken me to write this, the umpires have offered us the light and we've escaped with a battling draw which means there's still every chance of us tying the series 1-1.

oh, and as far as the "new" fans go, i think the fact that at least half of every day's play takes place whilst any sane englishmen is still tucked up in bed has as much to do with it as recent results.
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

You may have a point on the timing of play there Richie.

Yay a draw! :lol: Although to be fair, some of the most exciting games I've seen have been draws. And given the scores at lunch and at tea, I think England did well to get to close of play (or the light offer) without capitulation.

It is the bowling that's the problem, I agree; Freddie can't be expected to bowl 18-over spells in the heat of the sub-continent can he?

I would put my name forward as a half-decent (well, maybe quarter-decent) leg-spinner but I've put my shoulder out.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:I would put my name forward as a half-decent (well, maybe quarter-decent) leg-spinner but I've put my shoulder out.
Put it back in then. :roll: Lame excuse. :lol: One in ten of my leg-spinners is unplayable. The other nine are unfortunately within reach of the batsman, who duly t**t them hard.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I'm not optimistic about the final test...looks like it's either going to be a 1-0 or 2-0 series defeat, with the odds slightly in favour of the former...
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
hallucienate
Overbomber

India 188 all out in 45.5 overs; South Africa 189-0 in 35.5 overs. :von:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

hallucienate wrote:India 188 all out in 45.5 overs; South Africa 189-0 in 35.5 overs. :von:
That'll be one of them 'comprehensive' victories then.