Sisters clones

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Anton Albrecht
Road Kill

Back in early 90's, there used to be a lot of them... :lol:

I remember particurlarly The Wake (no, not the old UK band) from the states, more Sisters than the originals !
Same tunes, same voice, with songs like Nazarene (=Alice), Locomotive Age (=a mix of Body Electric and Train) and so on..., but i must admit i liked their cd (Masked, Cleopatra 1993). Perfect for those frustrated there wasn't a LP right after F&L&A.
The only difference was they had a real drummer.

Another one is called The Merry Thoughts. Very Avalanched drum machine. I don't know how many things were released, but of what i can remember deserved truly the word clone.

I'm sure there was a lot more.
;D
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

And let's not forget Rosetta Stone - the most blatant Sisters copyists ever IMHO (they even had the nerve to use the Carson Antique font on their record sleeves for f**k's sake!), although their later material spriralled off in a different, more "industrial" direction.
pikkrong
Overbomber

The Merry Thought's "Psychocult" album is real reflection of "Floodland". not only music. even the band's photo - a man with sunglasses and a woman standing by the train. and songs... "Flow" :) and the drum-machine with a name.
but i still like this album 8)
about Rosetta Stone - think, they deserve a little bit more attention than just a Sisters' copycat. at least their latest stuff is quite interesting. i never loved NIN but listening to Rosetta Stone i can understand fans of NIN.
this summer in M'era Luna i saw another "Floodland"-band - The Cascades. their guitarist had both The Sisters' and The m*****n's logo tattooed on the same arm :)
and there are also more bands very influenced by The Sisters - for example Star Industry... can't remember all of them...
do i drive
or am i driven
EricSweden
Amphetamine Filth

i love the merry thoughts. i've only heard the album pyshcocult though.
Ribbons75
Road Kill

The Merry Thoughts :!: are certainly the best band similar at the SOM..... for me....
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Yeah - it's basically Rosetta Stone and The Merry Thoughts, IMHO. The Merry's lead singer even *sounds* like Eldritch, for chrissake!!
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
pikkrong
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:The Merry's lead singer even *sounds* like Eldritch, for chrissake!!
and looks like him :wink:
(at least on pictures taken some years ago)
do i drive
or am i driven
Ribbons75
Road Kill

But.... there's someone that he has news of Merry Thoughts ???? :?: :?: :?: :?:
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

last news i heard is that they have started a studio recording session, dunno hwen they will release the new material
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Drsisters wrote:last news i heard is that they have started a studio recording session, dunno hwen they will release the new material
oh great!

sisters-lite, with neither the irony nor the intelligence... :roll:
Last edited by Quiff Boy on 25 Jan 2003, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
hallucienate
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
Drsisters wrote:last news i heard is that they have started a studio recording session, dunno hwen they will release the new material
oh great!

agreed, just because a band sound like you favourite band doesn't mean that they're good.

Screw the clones, I'd rather listen to the real thing. Even if they haven't released anything in 10 years.
Andy TG
Overbomber

Marvin Arkham (Merry Thoughts Singer) - was a "Dead Ringer" :von: for old VON (without shades) - I managed to see TMV a couple of times. :D

I do have a photo of ME :eek: and Marvin - which i will post ASAP - when I find it!

I will also relate the story as to what I said to him just AFTER :!: the pic was taken! :wink:
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Ribbons75
Road Kill

hallucienate wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
oh great!

agreed, just because a band sound like you favourite band doesn't mean that they're good.

Screw the clones, I'd rather listen to the real thing. Even if they haven't released anything in 10 years.

New Material of Merry Thoughts ??? We hope !!! :D :D
I believe It as much reductive to speak about the Merry Thoughts like of a group clone of the Sisters... they are very good... for me !!
Byeeeeeee !
Ribbons75
Road Kill

I'm pessimist... there aren't many news..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

http://www.themerrythoughts.de/en/
Ribbons75
Road Kill

Also the Clan of Xymox and The Wake they have some influences of the Sisters..... for me.....

Byeeeeeeeee
pikkrong
Overbomber

well, i still want to make one humble correction - Clan Of Xymox can have influences but i would not call them The Sisters clone.
but talking about remarkable The Sisters' influences - we can find them by some Swedish bands (in addition to many German ones :) ) -
for example Bay Laurel.
do i drive
or am i driven
Ribbons75
Road Kill

Ok ! Sorry !! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :innocent: :innocent: