King Kong

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
canon docre
Overbomber

watched King Kong yesterday at the Premiere and I'm still ravished. :D
Besides all that dinosaur CGI-hullabaloo it's the greatest love story ever told. (< that comes from someone fundamentally unromantic)

I always found that King Kong and his white lady are the most tragic romantic couple in cinema history and Peter Jackson shared my vision en détail. :notworthy:

And what is the morale of the movie?

Never try to tame a man.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

You know, that's exactly why I throw my dirty underwear on the floor rather than the washing-bin.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

not bothered about the love story element but every time i see a trailer for this i start jumping up and down like a six-year-old on tartrazine injections. as mrs rj will surely testify.
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

I can't imagine anything coming close to the ambience of the B&W original, fancy modern visuals or not. So I'm still perplexed as to why such a keen and knowledgable student of film would want to even bother remaking it. :?
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Yes indeed. Whenever the trailer is shown, you would think that RJ was about five years old and had been shown a secret sweet shop!
Last edited by Mrs RicheyJames on 08 Dec 2005, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
Only a paand.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Planet Dave wrote:I can't imagine anything coming close to the ambience of the B&W original, fancy modern visuals or not. So I'm still perplexed as to why such a keen and knowledgable student of film would want to even bother remaking it. :?
Because he can ;) He's still a big kid with the knowledje of making movies, so he just does it.

Since LotR, he cannot do a lot wrong in my opinion. He filmed it exactly as I saw it in my imagination (except for the lack of Tom Bombadil! Boooo :evil: ), and I will see this King Kong movie of his, and I'm eagerly awaiting 'The Hobbit'...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
canon docre
Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote:I can't imagine anything coming close to the ambience of the B&W original, fancy modern visuals or not. So I'm still perplexed as to why such a keen and knowledgable student of film would want to even bother remaking it. :?
Well, Peter Jackson bothered to make LOTR - a book thought to be unfilmable. And he triumphed widely.
His ape sets a new standard - mostly due to Andy Serkis performance who "played" already Gollum in LOTR. :notworthy:

Naomi Watts is not a Fay Wray though, I must admit. ... but Robert Armstrong was not at all a Jack Black. :innocent:

As for the special effects: of course they're state of the art - breathtaking and all that. Which means that they're out-dated next year. :roll:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Bored to death with CGI

"Hell lets have another thousand!"

"Look, back flip and spin"

Less is more
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
czuczu
Overbomber

Seen the trailer - ever major plot point is in it, feel like I've seen the film already:/

It's not gonna top the original, I just wish they could find the original giant spider scenes..
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I don't see how there can be enough of a story to last three and a half hours (which is how long it is according to my local cinema leaflet thingy)
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Not really planning to go and see this one, though I don't make any judgements...

Anyway, the original ('32) one is on Arte tonight, for whoever is interested... (that is the original one, isn't it?)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
SomeKindOfStranger
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

..but hes never really hit the heights of 'Bad Taste' or 'Braindead' since, has he? :wink:
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

Ed Rhombus wrote:Bored to death with CGI

"Hell lets have another thousand!"

"Look, back flip and spin"
So it's not just me then. CGIs just never look real to me, even when they're apparently at their best like in LoTR. They're fine in a computer game but I really don't like seeing an otherwise great film peppered with what looks, to my eyes, like speeded up cartoons. If anything, I actually prefer the hand puppets and cheesy effects of the olden days. The notable exception to this rule being the effects in Terminator II, which still stun me to this day. :notworthy:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i saw a trailer for this on the big screen the other week and it looks pretty damned impressive; although i doubt the plot is sufficient to make up for losing that visual grandeur when it goes to video...and i really hate the (no-smoking) cinema too much to spend three hours watching a love story.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

I'm not really looking forward to it. You can't beat the old King Kong, even with lavish special effects and a modern Hollywood love story.

Right now I'll stick to the old RKO version with Fay Wray.

I'm also kinda pissed because I read in a couple of interviews that after releasing all three LOTR he was going to make another splatterfest, which King Kong obviously isn't.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

SomeKindOfStranger wrote:'Braindead'
*gets out flymo and food processor*
Mr. Wah
Amphetamine Filth

SomeKindOfStranger wrote:..but hes never really hit the heights of 'Bad Taste' or 'Braindead' since, has he? :wink:
Braindead is without doubt one of the funniest films I have ever seen. I think it's about time I got that on DVD.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

RicheyJames wrote:every time i see a trailer for this i start jumping up and down like a six-year-old on tartrazine injections.
Ditto ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell