Leeds Info

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Web site number is out of date. to save anyone else wasting too much time

tickets on sale Monday

from

wayahead.com

&

0113 243 6743

0113 245 5570

:von:
Goths have feelings too
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Cheers!!!
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
paint it black

Conflicting reports

Leeds is sold out saturday, but according to some ticket ppl tickets haven't been issued yet??

don't worry "I got mine" ;)
Goths have feelings too
Lars Svensson
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I got in touch with Way Ahead just to make sure all was well...

They confirmed my order, but said the tickets hadn't been sent out from the promoters yet...

Which I ASSUME is the normal way of things... :roll: :?

It's only January after all (he said hopefully)

Dunno if that helps at all??!! :|
Amused to death...
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Tix for Leeds (first night) said "sold out" on Aloud.com yesterday, but it looks like they've managed to get hold of some more today. :?
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

I've just booked Leeds tickets (Saturday night) from Wayahead.com a few moments ago, and they weren't sold out then.

I decided Manchester alone just wouldn't be enough. :von:
🎵 Good times come to me now 🎶
Ganith
Amphetamine Filth

Seeing there are soo many of you going to Leeds and/or from the Leeds area, I've a question...

Can anybody recommend any B&B's around?
Any idea of prices?
I'm still trying to make the numbers work... among with other things, such as...

"Why do you want to go see them AGAIN????"

:roll: :roll:

any information welcome....

Thanks!!!!

Ganith
Human stupidity knows no limits.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

I can highly recommend The Morlea - the number is: 0113 243 2653. It's fairly centrally located and rooms are cheap at £20 a night I think. And they have a bar that's open for as long as you want it to be. Good veggie breakfasts too.
DrDoom
Road Kill

Jumbo in leeds have plenty of tickets for both nights http://www.jumborecords.co.uk/ticket.asp

anybody been to venue before ?

dd
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

My Leeds tickets arrived Saturday, so it's full steam ahead!
Ed Rhombus

www.rhombus-rock.com
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

This news just in from the promoters of the Wendy House goth night in Leeds:
--

I'm pleased to announce that The Wendy House has been approached by the 'Blank Canvas' venue in Leeds for a very special party after the Sisters of Mercy on Saturday April 26th. You can stay on in the venue where myself and one of the original DJs from the Leeds Goth era will fill the dancefloor with dark party tunes! This directly follows the finish of the gig at about 11.00pm and will go on until at least 2.30am.

The Blank Canvas is a large, unique and extremely atmospheric venue, underneath the arches near Granary Wharf and has had some very big named bands already play there.

I'm hoping to do quite a bit of cross promtion for the Sisters gigs and hope to be able to offer tickets as competition prizes later on to people at The Wendy House. Watch this space.

I'm aware that it's easy to be cynical about the Sisters. They haven't released any material in 10 years and there are always concerns about the live abilities of bands that don't tour regularly. However the promotor of the Leeds event is making a huge effort to make the ticket price of both gigs include much more. On the Saturday, not just can you see a band that defined a genre AND a generation of music (if that wasn't enough!), but you can also celebrate in style afterwards.

Leeds is their "home" town after all and there are the makings of a massive event here!

-Glenn (Promoter, The Wendy House).

--
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Blimey, wonder what'll happen when the band hear about that! :eek:

Personally on the Saturday after the show I'm off to the Elbow Rooms for DJ Tim (Utah Saints) regular night, breaks Techy stuff, and General Joy ;D

That's if the gig happens after the proposed Goffing of the whole event, I really think the promoter should be a little cautious about this :!:
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

yeah, it does make you worry..... they've pulled out of euro goff-fests before because of stunts like this... :(

having said that, despite what it billsitself as, the wendy house music policy isnt all that Goff really. its not all darkling s**t like nosferatu, incubbus succubus etc etc. its a bit more generic. quite good usually - probably more tracks by artistst that the sisters have shared previous euro-fest bills with :)

it sounds like they havent really got their finger in the pulse of what the sisters are about these days :(
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
RobF

Quiffy said: "having said that, despite what it billsitself as, the wendy house music policy isnt all that Goff really. its not all darkling s**t like nosferatu, incubbus succubus etc etc. its a bit more generic. quite good usually "

It's not so much the music that worries me, I'd probably own half of it if it's like you say, but the perception aspect may be a problem for the Band. Being associated with something that presents itself as ostensibly a goff night, especially in Leeds... I dunno, it just rings alarm bells for me. If the promoters want DJs till two, they'd be much better off with someone like Alex Patterson, or Aphex (Yeah I know how much they would cost, but you get the gist) Someone that the dark lot, and the grown ups (oops, joke) could both appreciate, without giving an overall bats 'n' cobwebs feel (However wrong that perception may be)... And more importantly something that won't get the whole thing cancelled, promoters rarely do enough research (Industrial or otherwise, ho ho) and I have no problem with the fact that the Sisters wish to be presented as they see fit, and I think event organisers Ignore those kinds of issues at their Peril. I hope this turns out to be more of a Dark harvest job (ie, Von tells em' to knock the idea on the head and plays) rather than a Eurorock/NEC 97 type outcome. I can't see it being left as it is though. :?:
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Wendyhouse is very crossover at the moment.

In fact last time I was there they were playing Britney Spears!!!!

I think the £20 ticket price will go a long way to ensuring it's a Sisters crowd, rather than a date on the Goth callender!

Right Von?????
Ed Rhombus

www.rhombus-rock.com
paint it black

on my ticket it mentions a late disco after the band has played :)
Goths have feelings too
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

As far as I know the band have no say whatsoever in what goes on at the venue AFTER they've left the stage. This scenario mirrors what happened straight after the Astoria gig in 2001 (first night) where goth/industrial was played 'til 3.00 am. I don't recall Von making a fuss on that occasion so why would he this time? And like Ben said, the £20 ticket price will deter those hardcore goths who just want to be there for the aftershow happenings.
Dan
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:Conflicting reports

Leeds is sold out saturday, but according to some ticket ppl tickets haven't been issued yet??

don't worry "I got mine" ;)
You posted that message on the 21st, I bought my ticket for saturday from Jumbo records in Leeds on 22nd and it's a very low number so they're definitely not sold out.
RobF

Scardwel wrote:As far as I know the band have no say whatsoever in what goes on at the venue AFTER they've left the stage. This scenario mirrors what happened straight after the Astoria gig in 2001 (first night) where goth/industrial was played 'til 3.00 am. I don't recall Von making a fuss on that occasion so why would he this time? And like Ben said, the £20 ticket price will deter those hardcore goths who just want to be there for the aftershow happenings.
I suposse so, it's not like it's a dodgy support band
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Scardwel wrote:I can highly recommend The Morlea - the number is: 0113 243 2653. It's fairly centrally located and rooms are cheap at £20 a night I think. And they have a bar that's open for as long as you want it to be. Good veggie breakfasts too.
Any advance or other offers on this?
Currently trying to price a little expedition - already going to Glasgow on
the Thursday, might try and do Smurphs Friday, Sisters Saturday & Sunday, possibly dead by Monday! :von: :roll: :eek:
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!