Guilty pleasures...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Tapping my toe and grooving a groove to Simple Minds on VH1 today, it struck me that most of us will have certain music which we secretly really enjoy, but refrain from buying or publicly digging out of sheer embarrassment.

My guilty pleasures include the 'Minds, INXS (come on now, some bangin' choons there), Enigma (yeah, remember that song with the monks?), Abba, and I'm not exactly proud of myself when I start nodding my head to any of Metallica's recent output (although in my defence, I do think all of St. Anger except the title track is sh!te).

Worst of all has to be Eminem :oops: . I know it's just wrong, but I do sometimes find myself having a little smirk at some of his lyrics.

As me old mucker Tacitus once so eloquently put it "Things fobidden have a secret charm" :von: .

So go on, air your dirty musical laundry in public. Set your painful un-hipness free! ;D :twisted:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Nowt wrong with any of them Bouds. Apart from Simple Minds of course, who are just w@nk. That INXS album with the sailor-boys on it, erm, yeah that one, is stonkingly good. :notworthy:

I'll happily shake my ass to....most cheesy eurocheese (of a vaguely 'dance / techno' flavour), Madge, Pet Shop Boys (but they ain't remotely embarrassing), U2 (strictly Achtung and Pop only), Cast, Oasis (strictly Definitely Maybe only), St Etienne, god I could go on forever. :innocent:
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Planet Dave wrote:Nowt wrong with any of them Bouds.
:lol: D'ya reckon!
Planet Dave wrote:I'll happily shake my ass to....most cheesy eurocheese (of a vaguely 'dance / techno' flavour),
Whigfield? Remember her? ;D
Planet Dave wrote:Cast
:eek:
This is my Respect-O-Meter...
...and this is you, Whelan. :P :innocent: ;D
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I'm none too proud of occasionally enjoying a bit of Tori Amos either.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote:Madge
<Falls to floor>

Is this something we actually agree on?

Contrary to many Madge knockers :eek: , I love Hung Up. Have had a crush on the gappy-toothed Anglophile for over twenty years, now.

I definately would :wink:
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

boudicca wrote:I'm none too proud of occasionally enjoying a bit of Tori Amos either.
Hee! And I am but of course the proud parent that watches my daughter dancing on the table, to Tori Amos's Little Earthquake... :wink:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
scotty
Overbomber

INXS are "the muts nuts" Claire you're right, KICK is a record I listen to a lot. Niel Dimond is an other favorite and someone I grew up listening to, I must question your sanity about "Simple Minds" though :urff: :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by scotty on 16 Dec 2005, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I've been listening to Dean Martin and Herb Alpert a lot recently.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Commendable icon choice, C3.

Nothing but the knife to live for, fat boy!
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Will Young's latest album. *goes to hang himself*
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

nick the stripper wrote:Will Young's latest album. *goes to hang himself*
*provides the noose*

@ Claire - quack quack quack quack Saturday night and the air is getting hot, like you baby. That one? :wink: 8)

History by Cast is a corking track.
canon docre
Overbomber

I feel guilty when tapping my foot to Rammstein. :oops: I know, for you english speaking people the lyrics might sound exotic but I can tell you, they're simply bad and unbearable to listen to. :urff:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

canon docre wrote:I feel guilty when tapping my foot to Rammstein. :oops: I know, for you english speaking people the lyrics might sound exotic but I can tell you, they're simply bad and unbearable to listen to. :urff:
:eek: :eek:

'Mutter? Mutter! MUTTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!'

What's wrong with that? :wink: :kiss:
canon docre
Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote:
canon docre wrote:I feel guilty when tapping my foot to Rammstein. :oops: I know, for you english speaking people the lyrics might sound exotic but I can tell you, they're simply bad and unbearable to listen to. :urff:
:eek: :eek:

'Mutter? Mutter! MUTTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!'

What's wrong with that? :wink: :kiss:
I guess Glenn Danzig wouldn't find anything wrong with that. :wink: (another guilty pleasure... ten years ago :oops: )
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I could probably attract considerable scorn from some quarters for declaring myself a tekno afficianado... but I don't care..

Though I do put my hands up to having every Simple Minds album up to and including New Gold Dream on vinyl... :innocent:
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
Mr. Wah
Amphetamine Filth

Projekt Pitchfork.
Francis
Overbomber

canon docre wrote:I know, for you english speaking people the lyrics might sound exotic
I don't know about exotic, but they definitely sound German, which makes theirs just about the only records for which I don't have to ask someone 'Who's this then?' on the rare occasions I frequent dodgy coffin-botherer clubs.

Early Simple Minds for me too. And The Jam/ Style Council/ Paul Weller. And I once owned Boney M's Greatest Hits on vinyl, but was foolish enough to let peer pressure persuade me to bin it during my first year at University.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

i did actually have someone once say to me, upon hearing some Laibach that I was playing, say "they sound just like Rammstein"

Oh the sacrilege!
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Gottdammerung wrote: i did actually have someone once say to me, upon hearing some Laibach that I was playing, say "they sound just like Rammstein"

Oh the sacrilege!
That was also said about some band that played at a certain festival in Belgium earlier this year. :innocent:
"as we walk on the floodland"
boudicca
Sister Midnight

nick the stripper wrote:Will Young's latest album. *goes to hang himself*
And what do you feel has driven you to this? :eek: :? :urff: :innocent:

@Jess - I'm far from fluent in German but even with my disgracefully poor grasp of it, I can tell that Rammstein have some SEHR dodgy lyrics.

Well, I wasn't sure if they were painfully crap or maybe there was something I was missing in the translation... but it would appear not :lol: .
Thea
Overbomber

I gave up on shame after I found myself in a field watching Steeleye Span and enjoying it.
canon docre
Overbomber

take a subject that raises eyebrows, write ambiguous lyrics so that the dumb masses can brawl offending things and the intellectuals find the contrary meaning on a meta-level and add a stomping sound: et voilà, you got the Rammstein formula.

I should better shut up now, as I'm going to their Platin Record Party in a few hours. ;D
Francis
Overbomber

canon docre wrote:take a subject that raises eyebrows, write ambiguous lyrics so that the dumb masses can brawl offending things and the intellectuals find the contrary meaning on a meta-level and add a stomping sound: et voilà, you got the Rammstein formula.
VG. All your own work?
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
James Blast
Banned

boudicca wrote:Whigfield? Remember her?
just you tread carefuly young missy when you mention the gorgeous, pouting popstrel Whigfield! :twisted:

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

As could be witnessed at the recent Bloktober I did dance to the KLF featuring Tammy Wynette. However I did wimp out in the rap bit 'cos I can't dance to rap :wink:

I'd have to agree with B about Eminem's lyrics and I so would (if I was single of course :wink: )