torture is okay?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Wonderful.

I wonder how many of those would support the use of torture if it was them being tortured?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Torture is only ok between consenting adults.... :innocent:
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Interrogation okay and there are different styles.

But what is torture?

Is not allowing someone to sleep for a day torturing?
Is one glas of water and a small piece of bread a day torturing?
No toiletpaper; is that torturing?

So what do these people mean when they say they agree?
"as we walk on the floodland"
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Firstly, I agree with Gottdammerung. :lol:

Secondly, I take they think torture is continuous infliction of physical pain until the tortured gives the information the torturer wants, when they're agreeing with it. That's the first thing that always pops into my head when I hear the word torture. Of course, there are worse forms of torture, such as sexual torture.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Ozpat wrote:Interrogation okay and there are different styles.

But what is torture?

It's like Room 101 - something different for every individual.
Stick me in a room with 50 Cent playing on a loop and I'll tell you anything you want to hear.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

boudicca wrote:
Ozpat wrote:Interrogation okay and there are different styles.

But what is torture?

It's like Room 101 - something different for every individual.
Stick me in a room with 50 Cent playing on a loop and I'll tell you anything you want to hear.
That's my point. :)
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

And who is allowing it?
Allegedly of course..

According to all these reports in the media about plane flights across Europe that are not mentioned..
Allegedly again..
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Zuma wrote:And who is allowing it?
Allegedly of course..

According to all these reports in the media about plane flights across Europe that are not mentioned..
Allegedly again..
Yeah, I heard something about a Boeing 747 (belonging to the CIA) at Glasgow Airport which had been doing the rounds in the middle east, dropping off terrorist suspects. Nice :| .

I'm sure the UN, Amnesty and various other organisations will have definitions of torture - to me, all the things Ozpat described would qualify. OK, going without sleep for a day is hardly hell on earth (if it was, maybe I could haul Quiff up in front of a UN tribunal for organising Bloktober :twisted: :lol: :innocent:) but the principle of treating a suspect like this is to break him using discomfort or pain as a means of extracting your confession.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

boudicca wrote:
Zuma wrote:And who is allowing it?
Allegedly of course..

Allegedly again..
Yeah, I heard something about a Boeing 747 (belonging to the CIA) at Glasgow Airport which had been doing the rounds in the middle east, dropping off terrorist suspects. Nice :| .

I'm sure the UN, Amnesty and various other organisations will have definitions of torture - to me, all the things Ozpat described would qualify. OK, going without sleep for a day is hardly hell on earth (if it was, maybe I could haul Quiff up in front of a UN tribunal for organising Bloktober :twisted: :lol: :innocent:) but the principle of treating a suspect like this is to break him using discomfort or pain as a means of extracting your confession.
Same!!!!
canon docre
Overbomber

There was an interesting and much debated case in Germany whether it should be allowed to vocally threat with torture in order to get hold of informations concerning the hiding-place of a kidnapped boy whose life might have been in danger. See here for more details on the Daschner case.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

canon docre wrote:There was an interesting and much debated case in Germany whether it should be allowed to vocally threat with torture in order to get hold of informations concerning the hiding-place of a kidnapped boy whose life might have been in danger. See here for more details on the Daschner case.
I'd say no because, putting myself in that position, if someone was threatening me with torture ('specially if they were to detail the lovely things they'd do to me) I'd be inclined to tell them what they wanted to hear to avoid that happening.

Also, you can't really threaten with torture in a country that doesn't actually do it. In order for your threats to be credible you'd have to be prepared to carry them out.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Psychological torture is particularly hard to define. For instance, if x drugged y, and took photos of them in a mock-up of a compromising position with a member of the same sex, then released them and said - act as our spy or we'll release the pictures - is that torture? It's a known practice in some middle-eastern countries with strong sexual taboos...
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Torture? I've actually bought my girlfriend the new Darkness CD for Xmas - is that self-induced?

:roll:
a.r.kane
Amphetamine Filth

MrChris wrote:Psychological torture is particularly hard to define. For instance, if x drugged y, and took photos of them in a mock-up of a compromising position with a member of the same sex, then released them and said - act as our spy or we'll release the pictures - is that torture? It's a known practice in some middle-eastern countries with strong sexual taboos...
surely that would be torture only to a homophobe.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I don't think you'd have to be homophobic to strongly object to this. Even in frequently homophobic societies like Palestine (where the policy has been used successfully by the Israelis on occasion) whether the victim is homophobic or not is usually NOT the issue - the reason it's effective is because of apprehension about other peoples' reactions, to 'homosexuality' but also to adultery...
Chris

canon docre
Overbomber

a.r.kane wrote:
MrChris wrote:Psychological torture is particularly hard to define. For instance, if x drugged y, and took photos of them in a mock-up of a compromising position with a member of the same sex, then released them and said - act as our spy or we'll release the pictures - is that torture? It's a known practice in some middle-eastern countries with strong sexual taboos...
I wouldnt like to get drugged and be put in a compromising situation with members of the opposite sex either.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Céleste
Road Kill

i dont think torture can be justified in any way!
its simply degrading and inhuman.
and i think its a shame that the CIA has been kidnapping innocent people since 2001, bringing them to Afghanistan and god knows where.
america wants to "spread democracy", the motherland of democracy, using torture to fulfil their abject aims. thats a huge discrepancy, isnt it?
don't reap the grapes of wasteland
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Céleste wrote:the CIA has been kidnapping innocent people since 2001,
They've been doing a lot worse for a lot longer.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

canon docre wrote:
a.r.kane wrote:
I wouldnt like to get drugged and be put in a compromising situation with members of the opposite sex either.
Exactly. Homophobic or not, there's a million reasons why you might not exactly dig being forced into such a degrading situation. It's a state-sponsored sexual assault, really.

I think it is the same principle as physical torture, which is fundamentally blackmail. Tell us what we want to hear (whether it's true or not) or this will happen to you...
Mrs. Snowey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Why do keyboards get so dirty?
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Of course torture is OK. There's a war on, remember. We have to do something, regardless of whether it's actually effective or ethical.

The stunning lack of Heartland Realpolitik strikes again .....
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Pulls out the pin, throws and runs away...
Chris

theraven1982
Road Kill

I'm not surprised by the amount of Americans who agree with torture... America has it's own rules.
It reminds me of a paper by William Blum:

“No matter how paranoid you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine.”

“Don’t believe anything until it’s been officially
denied." (Gulf War syndrome, anyone?)

It's true with Elections (Bulgaria, Chile), the War on Drugs, War on Terror , Human Rights.
Of course, they DO care about Human Rights... it's just flexible, not a fundamental 'law' or goal.
Read the paper by William Blum, "U.S. Foreign Policy -- A Study in Hypocrisy".

But i'm scared at the fact that so many 'non american' countries agree on torture.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

andymackem wrote:Of course torture is OK. There's a war on, remember. We have to do something, regardless of whether it's actually effective or ethical.

The stunning lack of Heartland Realpolitik strikes again .....
:lol: I can never quite work out whether you're a cynic or a realist.

Come to think of it, is there a difference? :innocent:
—Bertrand Russell