Band(s) Of The Year

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

On my endless quest for new and groovy vibes, I tend to stumble across one or two bands/artists every year or so that get endless rotation and that I just fall madly in love with.

This year, it has been Laibach :notworthy: , Kraftwerk :notworthy: , and Swans. :notworthy:

What have youse lot dug up oner the past 12 months?
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jaimie1980
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I thought Editors were a good new band. Started listening to Dead Can Dance, Spear of Destiny, Theatre of Hate and The Clash. Discovered precious little else though.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I started listening to The 69 Eyes and The Sisters Of Mercy :P 8) :wink: :D ;D :lol: :notworthy:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Oh and... listening to the world-beating "Haus Der Luge" at the moment... what a fcukin track...

Einsturzende Neubauten! :notworthy:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

SITD, Combichrist, Aslan Faction, Lemon Jelly. Hmmm, bit of a theme here.
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
scotty
Overbomber

Editors and Into The Souls for me Claire :D
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
hallucienate
Overbomber

Bloc Party
Black Wire
Chris Chameleon
kasabian
Queens of the Stone Age

And looking to new albums from Moz and Placebo early next year.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Planet Dave wrote:SITD, Combichrist, Aslan Faction, Lemon Jelly. Hmmm, bit of a theme here.
Goffick tekno-bollox? :innocent:

Ah, what am I talking about, I like Combichrist too...
"Sex, Drogen, Und Industrial" :lol: :notworthy: :lol:
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Without any doubt, System Of A Down :notworthy:

But also:

Bloc Party

Godspeed You Black Emperor (finally gave them a DECENT listen this year)

Guardian Heliotrope (the Belgian band I had the honour to record, produce, mix and master myself, because I believed in their music)

Project 407 (now P:407), another Belgian band with some very stunning songs and releases... In the same vein as GH above, but more rockier...Katatonia/Tiamat style...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
robertzombie
Overbomber

hallucienate wrote: And looking to new albums from Placebo early next year.
Release date: 13-3-2006 :D
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Got into the Kills and Shriekback this year :notworthy: :notworthy:

I believe I ought to give credits to Herr Blast for the last one :notworthy: :D

And a quick scroll through my iPod reminds me of the many times I gave Ryan Adams a listen, Turbonegro ( :notworthy: @ Ania), and I also found a big increase on the times I listened to Joy Division (though I was familiar with them before)

And of course I mustn't forget all the lovely material on this LP:

*insert more notworthy smilies here*
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Dark
Underneath the Rock

A hardcore punk LP with various punk bands on it
The Ramones
The Art Of Noise
James Ray And The Performance
James Ray's Gangwar
The MK Ultra

Been a great year for music in Korinland.
James Blast
Banned

FGG - Live in Antwarp
Editors - The Back Room
Roy Harper - just some of his more recent stuff, a mate sent
The Sisters Of Mercy - a revitalised live combo Image

but...
numero uno has to be:
the revitalised Van Der Graaf Generator - Present and live in concert :notworthy:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

boudicca wrote: Ah, what am I talking about, I like Combichrist too...
"Sex, Drogen, Und Industrial" :lol: :notworthy: :lol:
'Next time you open your mouth...' :lol:

Sensitive bloke. 8)
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
biggy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Obviousman wrote:Got into the Kills

About time too.

Saw them around 20 times this year.

You should also give The Duke Spirit a listen, probably my band of the year. The album "cuts across the land" is out now.
Last edited by biggy on 22 Dec 2005, 21:23, edited 2 times in total.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Best band that I already knew about this year would be Arcturus - a superb new album and I saw three stonking gigs from them this year and was sad enough to follow them around the country :notworthy:

Got properly into post-BM this year mostly pagan orientated thanks to the likes of Falkenbach, Forefather, Folkearth, Finntroll (see a trend developing here?), Metsatoll and Loits :notworthy:

Other top 2005 new bands for me have been Blut Aus Nord, Swans, Corvus Corax, Laibach, The Living Jarboe (live) and Der Blutharsch and many others I can't think of right now :notworthy:

:D
Last edited by Brideoffrankenstein on 22 Dec 2005, 22:00, edited 2 times in total.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

biggy wrote:

About time too.

20 times? :eek:

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I went to see them once, and it was truly great, as I stood right under VV's nose :notworthy:

You don't happen to have any boots by them, do you? :innocent:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
biggy

Obviousman wrote:
biggy wrote:

About time too.

20 times? :eek:

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I went to see them once, and it was truly great, as I stood right under VV's nose :notworthy:

You don't happen to have any boots by them, do you? :innocent:
f**king loads :lol:
I got live cds, session cds, live VHS, live dvds, loaaaads of photos and a pair of Alison's (VV) knickers. I have loads of stuff on cd from Alison's old band "Discount" too. I'll see what I can sort out (4000 cds in no order whatsoever LOL)
Everyone I convinced to go see them this year thought they were superb. After seeing the DVD that came with the "no wow" album I reckon she's going to end up killing him & then topping herself. VERY strange and intense relationship. She's a fackin' nutter.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:Blut Aus Nord,Der Blutharsch
I get mixed up between them :lol: :oops: , but keep meaning to give both a listen. What are theye each like Libs?
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

VV most certainly is crazy :lol: Think that's one of the things that makes them so interesting :D (Hotel isn't all that normal either, BTW :lol: )

Think they'll become one of the 'influences' bands over the next couple of years.

In Antwerp they sold a couple of collages by VV, sadly couldn't afford them, because they were really nice...

If you could sort something out bootlegwise, that'd be greatly appreciated :notworthy: :notworthy:
Last edited by Obviousman on 22 Dec 2005, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Godspeed You Black Emperor (particularly their succinct singalong classic Lift Yr. Skinny Fists like Antennas to Heaven) is the highest new entry in the Corporate charts in 2005.

In 2006 I predict the following will be being sung along to (along with the usual stuff such as the Sisters, Swans, etc etc etc):

Permanent Fatal Error aka Oliver Manchion
Uniform's new CD due out in March, featuring collaborations with Lydia Lunch and Alan Vega (amongst others)
Last edited by lazarus corporation on 22 Dec 2005, 22:24, edited 2 times in total.
James Blast
Banned

lazarus corporation wrote:Godspeed You Black Emperor (particularly their succinct singalong classic Lift Yr. Skinny Fists like Antennas to Heaven) is the highest new entry in the Corporate charts.
I knew you'd be around Paul, at the mention of collage :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
Brideoffrankenstein wrote:Blut Aus Nord,Der Blutharsch
I get mixed up between them :lol: :oops: , but keep meaning to give both a listen. What are theye each like Libs?
Oooh ok!

Blut Aus Nord are sort of industrial black metal (don't be scared) and are excellent - I would recommend "The work which transforms God". I really like the guitar sound :notworthy:

Der Blutharsch are neofolk I s'pose, I don't know a great deal about them but I like "The pleasures received in pain" along with "Live at the Monastery" the most.

I've got them all on Soulseek if you want to give 'em a listen - my name is the same as it is on here or I could burn you some copies :D
Last edited by Brideoffrankenstein on 22 Dec 2005, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

James Blast wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote:Godspeed You Black Emperor (particularly their succinct singalong classic Lift Yr. Skinny Fists like Antennas to Heaven) is the highest new entry in the Corporate charts.
I knew you'd be around Paul, at the mention of collage :lol:
the future's in collage - you mark my words :lol:
RobF

This year I aaaas mostly been listening too.....

Jesu (Justin Broadrick's new and astonishingly wondeful project for all you Godflesh types out there), The Melvins (With and without the Biafra), Shellac/Big Black/Rapeman (ANYTHING with Steve Albini on it), and the usual collection of Northern Soul, Rock-steady and dubious Oi when I'm bladdered.

Oh, and the St Vitus live album, even though it sounds like it was recorded down a well, rather than in Dusseldorf.

Thinking about it, I've never been to Dusseldorf. Is it down a well? :?
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."