New 7 Wonders

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

me and Jools parted company on Jehovakill, shame I loved the Teardrop Explodes so much, you must get the remasted Kilimanjaro

PMs will be accepted :innocent:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Hom_Corleone wrote:I would like to have seen Avebury stone circle on there. That would have got my vote. A real example of megalithic culture.
For some reason that one appears to be unknown around here, whereas Stonehenge is quite famous all over. So probably it's not in the list because of bad PR of your Tourist Information Bureau abroad :lol: (eg. I have never heard of Avebury before)

Haven't decided what I'm voting for yet, first I really have to think it over. I think it's about stuff you must see at least once in your life, global landmarks, and thus I think things like the Eiffel Tower and Liberty Statue are well worth a place in the list. Nevertheless I'm sure Machu Picchu et al. are perhaps worth being in the list much more. Also, I think something's age doesn't have anything to do with being list worthy, eg. Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao?

Dilemmas dilemmas! I'll need at least one night of sleep to decide :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Hmm. Not sure what I'd have as my seven wonders. But why are they all buildings or structures? Have we achieved nothing in any other field?

How about Bach's 48 Preludes and Fugues (also known as the Well-tempered Clavier)? Truly sublime music, and extending the boundaries of the art at the same time. What happened to Rembrandt, Shakespeare, Beethoven, Elvis, Lasceaux?

How about (controversially) the NHS? Or the welfare state? Or even, if you want to stretch a point about humanity, Live Aid?

Maybe Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People? The first published text in vernacular English and thus the birth of the world's most widespread tongue. And Bede was a Mackem! Though it might be fairer to point out that this was the vernacular language of the peoples of England, not anything we would recognise as 'English'. It was about 700AD, after all.

Maybe the first jet powered aircraft, another English invention? How about Durham Cathedral, with the oldest surviving stone-vaulted roof?

What about Nadia Komenchi's (sp) 'perfect 10' at the Olympics? Or Pele and Brazil in 1970? Four minute miles, fastest men on earth? Why should we merely wonder at bricks and mortar?

It's a pretty facile and unimaginative list, frankly. I've been to four of them up to now but I'm not convinced any of them would make it into my personal top seven destinations.

@ BoF: yes, it is St Basils. No, that isn't part of the Kremlin. :oops:
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Very fair points, andy :notworthy:

I think they only put buildings on it as the board of experts' chief was an old UNESCO chief, and the old wonders were all buildings as well. They seem to see it like the reintroduction of the Olympics in 1896
Their site - Origins wrote:The commonly-known Seven Ancient Wonders of the World were all man-made monuments, selected by Philon of Byzantium in 200 BC.

His choice was essentially a travel guide for fellow Athenians, and the stunning sites were all located around the Mediterranean basin, the then-known world.

The monuments he chose, to be remembered in perpetuity, were:

* The Lighthouse of Alexandria
* The Temple of Artemis
* The Statue of Zeus
* The Colossus of Rhodes
* The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
* The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus
* The Pyramids of Egypt

All had been built between 2500 BC and 200 BC. But today, only the Pyramids at Giza remain.

Now, just as Pierre de Coubertin revived the Olympic Games in 1896, with his modern version of the competition, N7W Founder Bernard Weber is seeking to revive the concept of the Seven Worldwide Wonders with this massive global campaign, the New 7 Wonders of the World.

The major difference is that, this time around, they will not be chosen by one man, but by millions of people all over the world.

They will be the people’s choice, and they will be drawn from the earliest time that Man walked on Earth up to the year 2000.

It is therefore possible that the only survivor of the original Wonders, the Pyramids in Giza, could be chosen and re-confirmed for a second time!
BTW: Nobody came up with this yet: But I hope the outcome won't be as terrible as the Greatest <insert country>, this is as much would-be democratic voting, isn't it, :urff: :roll:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

I did read their explanation (albeit after posting).

But there's plenty of things which could count as a 'monument' (this is, for me at least, distinct from a building). For the works of music and literature I've mentioned, where the original manuscripts are still extant (I don't know, to be honest) that would be a physical record as relevant as any pile bricks and stone. Relevant technological achievements (one could add steam engines, deep-seam mining, turbine driven boats) may also be extant in some form (though I believe Stephenson's Locomotion and Rocket, and presume the Turbinia, exist only in replica form).

Admittedly that's harder to tackle in the case of the political ideals I put forward, but you could still visit them - even if Saturday night in casualty isn't a great idea!

On the other hand, are the cave paintings at Lasceaux not public art in exactly the same way as Eiffel Tower or Statue of Liberty? And enjoy similar international celebrity?

The idea is interesting, but if I were a feminist I'd insist that this was a phallo-centric, masculine list which reflects a very narrow slice of human achievement.

But now I'm ranting ....
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Debaser
Overbomber

The Temple of Artemis.....I'm SURE I've been there...well to the bits that are left of it. near Ephesus in Turkey
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Debaser
Overbomber

Surely this has to be on the new list

http://www.pbase.com/gaztop/image/35560130
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

oo yes.. i've been up there.. i don't like heights so i didn't really get the benefit
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Debaser
Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:oo yes.. i've been up there.. i don't like heights so i didn't really get the benefit
I think it looked MUCH better from 'down'. There was NO way I was going up it, no matter how fabbie the view was!
canon docre
Overbomber

Debaser wrote:Surely this has to be on the new list

BBC wrote:To be included on the new list, the wonders had to be man-made, completed by 2000, and in an "acceptable" state of preservation.
:innocent: :lol:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

avebury is awesome and unlike stonehenge (which always seems too small in the flesh) cannot be appreciated fully without walking through it.

all that aside my vote would be for the ol' world-wide-web.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
James Blast
Banned

Sagrada Familia is not finished yet, and Sydney Opera House was completed(?) without its creator's say so. The fact he then went a bit daft after that, is neither here nor there. :innocent:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Debaser
Overbomber

canon docre wrote:
Debaser wrote:Surely this has to be on the new list

BBC wrote:To be included on the new list, the wonders had to be man-made, completed by 2000, and in an "acceptable" state of preservation.
:innocent: :lol:
You actually thought, even for a minute, that I bothered myself with trivialities :eek:
Francis
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Brideoffrankenstein wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:I would like to have seen Avebury stone circle on there. That would have got my vote. A real example of megalithic culture.
Yes that would get my vote as well - but what about Stonehenge?
Certainly not. It's not representative of the true beauty of stone circles. It's like the new Wembley to the old one. Much too modern.
I can't claim to know much about megalithic culture, but Stonehenge is more visually impressive than Avebury and would seem to represent a greater engineering challenge, given the design of uprights connected by lintels. Avebury's never done anything for me. But standing in the middle of Stonehenge was a quasi-religious experience.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Uluru aka Ayers Rock :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Ozpat wrote:Uluru aka Ayers Rock :notworthy:
Nice choice :notworthy:

Though it's not man-made... Perhaps we could get in a conspiracy theory and let alien made things count along :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Silver_Owl
The Don

What about the Nazca lines?Awsome. Don't know how I forgot about them.

We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Hom_Corleone wrote:What about the Nazca lines?Awsome. Don't know how I forgot about them.

Good one! :notworthy:

Read more about it here: http://www.crystalinks.com/nazca.html
"as we walk on the floodland"
Silver_Owl
The Don

If anybody ever gets the opportunity to fly over them I recommend it. Ignore the terrible nausea as the plane banks laft then right then left again and you'll love it. And it was cheap.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:If anybody ever gets the opportunity to fly over them I recommend it. Ignore the terrible nausea as the plane banks laft then right then left again and you'll love it. And it was cheap.
Argh! This thread has given me too many ideas for holidays that I want to go on now! :(
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

An extra thingy:

The full list of 77 monuments they chose from: clicky

Some odd things in there, like both the Big Ben and the House of Parliament, aren't they the same building :?:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote: Some odd things in there, like both the Big Ben and the House of Parliament, aren't they the same building :?:
Big Ben is the actual bell inside the tower I as far as I know
scotty
Overbomber

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:
Obviousman wrote: Some odd things in there, like both the Big Ben and the House of Parliament, aren't they the same building :?:
Big Ben is the actual bell inside the tower I as far as I know
Correct Bof.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
James Blast
Banned

I knew that, any fule no that!
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

But it is in the same building then, right. Does not really make sense to me :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr