Sisters on Mute

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Brad
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Could this really be the case?

Touring with The Warlocks who are on Mute + past positive relationship with the label (http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/gen/fa ... aqnorm.htm), + a North American tour larger than the one in 1999 + a label that may be competent enough to represent the Sisters + http://www.mute.com/search/search.do;js ... D1061CA88F = new album?

Why would a band who are not on your label be even listed on a broken link? Food for thought.
aims
Overbomber

That's what I was hoping. Not going to get TOO excited about it though ;)

Edit: By the way, what were your search terms? The link only gives a search page, not your results...
Dark
Underneath the Rock

The Sisters were being distributed by Mute in 1991, apparently.

But you never know...
Brad

I see the link I posted doesn't work.
Go to www.mute.com and search for "Sisters". It will show "Sisters of Mercy" (minus the "The") and a link to some dodgy soundtrack. Strange.

Sixteen years has taught me not to get overtly excited, so I won't. I am happy enough just to see them this tour.

Brad
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Methedrome wrote:I see the link I posted doesn't work.
Go to www.mute.com and search for "Sisters". It will show "Sisters of Mercy" (minus the "The") and a link to some dodgy soundtrack. Strange.
The track in question being "Sisters Of Mercy" by Leonard Cohen.

Sorry.
aims
Overbomber

Meh. The Warlocks thing does seem hopeful, but that could just be as a result of the label friendliness, not additional to it. It would be nice, they are a suitable label, but let's not hold our collective breath about it for too long :|
Brad

Way to blow the conspiracy theory:)

Still seems to kind of add up though. How does an independent band front the cash for a decent scale tour of North America? One that by all indications will be even larger than in 1999.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Would be a possibility. But I'd say the problem might be cost. I have no idea to what stage things have been recorded and Mute might not be the type of company who can cough up a large amount of cash to fund an expensive recording session. Another question might be the contract.

Shame they never did the Summer single. That would have been perfect for Mute and get somebody like Flood to remix it. Oh well.
Brad

I believe it's been said in the past the album is already recorded, and Andrew is just shopping for a competent label with enough bucks to promote it properly.
Smallstone
Road Kill

Mute are exactly the kind of record company to cough up a large amount of money to fund the recording of a new Sisters album (thats if a new Sisters hasn't as yet been recorded).
Mute are funded by EMI.
They are a very solvent label (thanks to you know Depeche Mode, Moby, Goldfrapp, Nick Cave etc etc) and have been for over twenty years.
Daniel Miller is a very very clever man.
These days what one wants/requires from a record label is the marketing and promo front end - as well as all the moribund stuff like manufacturing the damn thing (making sure that off white pantone is correct and that the barcode scans....)
You also wouldn't mind dealing with one office, preferably in a town like London. But in Mutes case they have a Berlin office and distribution in North America (and as I have said it's all nicely funded by those chaps at EMI).
You would probably want to make sure that your album is released worldwide in territories that you have toured in recently (or you would like to tour in soon).
I very much doubt Von would want to go fedora in hand to ANY label asking for a 'loan' to make a record (record labes are primarily banks with added marketing departments).
Better to make the album, then license it to a label and make sure they do all of the above.

Of course the option is to bypass the 'big record company' and do it oneself.
Find a distributor with tentacles around the world who can get your eagerly awaited recrd into every shop in the universe (it ain't that hard).
Get them to stump up the manufacturing costs (average cost of a CD to actualy make is about 60p - but the new Sisters CD.... how many would it sell.... worldwide..?)
Employ a 'team' to get you press, radio, TV, marketing etc.
That way you cut out the middle man.
Easy.

I'm new to this board.
Hello there :wink:
Toodle pip now.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

welcome to HL smallstone 8) .
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
James Blast
Banned

Welcome Smallstone, some very nice points, thankee! :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

Smallstone wrote:(...) [1] You also wouldn't mind dealing with one office, preferably in a town like London. But in Mutes case they have a Berlin office and distribution in North America (and as I have said it's all nicely funded by those chaps at EMI).
(...) [2] Of course the option is to bypass the 'big record company' and do it oneself. (...)
[1] Which is interesting, because Adam is heard to be in Berlin from time to time. Because his publisher resides there. But any connection at this point would be too vague.

[2] Interesting. Wasn't it written in Heartland (the book ;-)) that one reason for the Sisters to go major was because MR couldn't quite do the large business? So then, yes, putting an album out through MR would require lots of partnerships... and dependencies.

Anyway, that darn new album is anywhere, but not on the horizon.

Jan
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Methedrome wrote:the album is already recorded
thats not what the rest of the band were saying after the tilburg gig... and its not what i've heard from a couple of other sources either.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Smallstone wrote:Mute are exactly the kind of record company to cough up a large amount of money to fund the recording of a new Sisters album (thats if a new Sisters hasn't as yet been recorded).
Mute are funded by EMI.
They are a very solvent label (thanks to you know Depeche Mode, Moby, Goldfrapp, Nick Cave etc etc) and have been for over twenty years.
Daniel Miller is a very very clever man.
These days what one wants/requires from a record label is the marketing and promo front end - as well as all the moribund stuff like manufacturing the damn thing (making sure that off white pantone is correct and that the barcode scans....)
You also wouldn't mind dealing with one office, preferably in a town like London. But in Mutes case they have a Berlin office and distribution in North America (and as I have said it's all nicely funded by those chaps at EMI).
You would probably want to make sure that your album is released worldwide in territories that you have toured in recently (or you would like to tour in soon).
I very much doubt Von would want to go fedora in hand to ANY label asking for a 'loan' to make a record (record labes are primarily banks with added marketing departments).
Better to make the album, then license it to a label and make sure they do all of the above.

Of course the option is to bypass the 'big record company' and do it oneself.
Find a distributor with tentacles around the world who can get your eagerly awaited recrd into every shop in the universe (it ain't that hard).
Get them to stump up the manufacturing costs (average cost of a CD to actualy make is about 60p - but the new Sisters CD.... how many would it sell.... worldwide..?)
Employ a 'team' to get you press, radio, TV, marketing etc.
That way you cut out the middle man.
Easy.

I'm new to this board.
Hello there :wink:
Toodle pip now.
Welcome to HL.

Interesting first post! 8)
"as we walk on the floodland"
TheBoyNextDoor

I found this interview, again after a few years, found here. Very optimistic... about "the new single which is out".. This was 1998.
"CM: You've got a new single out, called "Summer".

Andrew: Well, as soon as we can find a distributor and as soon as Adam finished rebuilding his house and his studio and his life, so that he can put his guitar down on tape. I've done my bits and Mike's done his bits and the Doktor has done his bits so we're just waiting for Adam and we're also waiting for an American distributor. The European side is not a problem."?

So what's about that Mike recorded now when he's gone? Is he gone, btw?
Whatever happened at all? :(
mh
Above the Chemist

The European side is not a problem.

That's interesting too - never saw that before.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Viewing the new posts, this thread always makes my heart beating faster. But...nothing definite....yet(?) :evil:
"as we walk on the floodland"
H. Blackrose

Quiff Boy wrote:
Methedrome wrote:the album is already recorded
thats not what the rest of the band were saying after the tilburg gig... and its not what i've heard from a couple of other sources either.
Hmmm. Why such a major US tour without a new album, then? Two immediate options:

1) this tour is supposed to prove to major US distributors that the Sisters can still pack them in and therefore convince them to put up the notorious $3 million;

2) an album was actually recorded with the Von-Adam-Mike-(?Chris Sheehan) lineup, and that's what's going to be released during the tour. It's the Von-Robochrist-Gary Marx album which is yet to be recorded.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Is Marx really on board this tour? Or is it still just a rumour? And if it is one, how good are the sources?

I have big difficulties to see how this tour could be a success without a release...without a release... :wink:

End of February is an interesting pause in the schedule...is this tour going to be pan-american maybe?
Karst
Slight Overbomber

The Sisters toured the US before without any product behind them. And to get it out before the tour would be a major rush - considering record companies normally take 2 months to get a campaign going. And why would Marx join the Sisters again when he seems perfectly happy to do things on his own?
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Karst: You are probably right...but that would raise the question Who is then replacing Adam?
I know, Smoke & Mirrors proved that you can fool tour organisers into anything (I just say Magdeburg..), but this just seems huge if they mean what they write "we have only just begun to fill it in"

Is it maybe one last try to wake up record companies?
Depprocksfarfar
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

He doesn´t seem to busy with the MC5 at the moment so my guess is he´s still in ( i was right the last time remember) 8)
Smallstone
Road Kill

Just back to the issue of the Sisters and Mute....
I think it's unlikely that the band are entering a partnership with that particular label. I should clarify one point I made. Mute have offices in London AND Berlin and representation around the world. Thanks.

Re: the Warlocks. Fine band. Kinda 'dumb' psychedelic rock (all the best rock is no?) and I think they'll work really well as a support. Maybe a tad too 'bubblegum' for the US Sisters crowd. No offence intended US Sisters crowd!! They're part of the Brian Jonestown Massacre/Black Rebel Motorcycle Club axis. Still I'd like to see a show.....

My own theory for the support is thus. The Warlocks are managed by a company called Big Life. The main dude at Big Life is a character called Jazz Summers. They represent UK based acts such as Badly Drawn Boy, the Futureheads and have in the past represented Killing Joke (Jazz Summers and Jaz Coleman... I bet the winter nights just flew by....). Big Life management also represent Andy Gill (Gang Of Four guitarist and producer of Killing Joke/U2 etc etc). See the Leeds connections - not to mention popular 80s 'alternative' bands. My little pet theory is it's this connection that has secured the support. Then again maybe Vons just a fan!!

The main issues I guess we are all still mulling over are:
1. Is this just a 25th Anniversary jaunt or is new material 'in the can' (or on the hard drive...).
2. If so, who's gonna put it out and when.

personally I still don't think an album is ready.... Touring AND promoting/managing the release of a new project is pretty damn hard... Touring then stopping and doing the promo for a new record that will come out LATER in the year maybe..... From delivery of music to a release you need at least 3 and half to 4 months (minimum) to set up a release. Longer if you are gonna trail it with singles.
One can imagine a certain amount of 'club promo' and radio going on plus remixes to source and have delivered. It all takes time.

Apologies if this is slightly off topic!
TheBoyNextDoor

It seems The Warlocks are'nt on Mute anymore. So two unsigned band goes on tour in the states looking for a label to sign them. Wonder who will be signed first then. :D :innocent:

"We know now that another deal between the warlocks and Mute will not happen."