What does Von think of other acts?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

re. NMA's relevance -in the late eighties/early nineties a lot of the people buying records by the sisters were also buying records by NMA. they were both equally at home on the goth /punk /alternative gig and club scene. unlike the m*****n or FOTN NMA were never a sisters cash-in, nor a stop-gap; yet like the sisters their fanbase was/is a loyal, diehard one - with limited spending power in most cases (at the time at least it seemed like we were all skint). in many ways, not necessarily reflected in their musical styles, this made them actual competition to the sisters- and therefore relevant IMO. i would have thought that this would ensure that von's opinion of them took in more than just whether or not he liked their music.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
pikkrong
Overbomber

I've got a newspaper 'Sounds' from October 1984 somewhere and I seem to remember there was an ad of Sisters gig with supporting band New Model Army.

(Of course I can check it but not today :innocent: - why not today? check the general chat :urff: )
do i drive
or am i driven
scotty
Overbomber

pikkrong wrote:I've got a newspaper 'Sounds' from October 1984 somewhere and I seem to remember there was an ad of Sisters gig with supporting band New Model Army.
The Skeletal Family also played on the same bill.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
network 23
Road Kill

I've got a tv interview with Eldritch and Patricia talking about the brilliance of Leonard Cohen (obviously). I've also seen him mention the Screaming Blue Messiahs, and Chris Isaak... neither of which do anything for me, but there you go. The listening, watching, reading sections on the official site are probably the most interesting aspects on there. Except for when they post tour dates.
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

from (very) old german music-magazines:

He does not like PJ Harvey.
He likes old AC/DC, but not "Thunderstruck"
He likes Duran Duran's "The violence of summer"
He likes Bob Dylan's "Wiggle wiggle"
He does not like "For Her Light" by the Fields (surprise!)
Sisters would not use lyrics like Metallica's "Enter Sandman" - too goth!
He does not like the Pixies, but he likes their version of "Ceceilia Ann"
The Pet Shop Boys are cool - Dave Stewart isn't.

for those of you with a german dictionary: klick!
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
biggy

vicus wrote:

He's a c**t then.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

biggy wrote:
vicus wrote:

He's a c**t then.
This IS Eldritch we're talking about, of course he is.
Jaimie1980
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Hojyuu-obi wrote:I remember reading an interview from around '83-'85 in which Andy mentioned he hated Bauhaus (cannot confirm where (or even if) I read that) ...

Can anyone else confirm this?
I remember reading that too. I think he was saying that someone at Rough Trade, when they were trying to get signed, said Sisters sounded like Bauhaus. I don't know if he hates Bauhaus but :von: didn't like the comparison.

Just realised most of this has already been said. :oops:
pikkrong
Overbomber

Again - I should dig in the pile of my magazines before talking but... I remember there's an article in Q (?) in 1993 when Eldritch had to introduce his 10 (?) favourite records. There were one by Stooges, one by Gary Glitter, one by Pink Floyd, one by Tangerine Dream and so on... and one which had all the good sides of the others - A Slight Case Of Overbombing by The Sisters :von:
do i drive
or am i driven
DeWinter

vicus wrote:from (very) old german music-magazines:

He likes old AC/DC, but not "Thunderstruck"
He likes Duran Duran's "The violence of summer"
He likes Bob Dylan's "Wiggle wiggle"
He does not like "For Her Light" by the Fields (surprise!)
Sisters would not use lyrics like Metallica's "Enter Sandman" - too goth!
He does not like the Pixies, but he likes their version of "Ceceilia Ann"
The Pet Shop Boys are cool - Dave Stewart isn't.

for those of you with a german dictionary: klick!
It will forever be a mystery to me how anyone can like anything by Bob Dylan.I don't care how "meaningful"(tm) and "political"(tm) his songs are,his voice sounds like two cats having violent sex in an alleyway..I put him on an ear-bashing level with Roland Gift,James Blunt,and maybe Ville Valo when he starts doing all that wailing and sighing and groaning that's become HIM's trademark.
Oh,and "For her light" by The Nephilim was very pretty sounding,IMO.I'd say "Elysium" poo-ed on "Vision Thing" from a great height..

I'd imagine he likes Depeche Mode,despite the puppet remark,he refers to Dave Gahan on first name terms,so I'd assume they're friendly,and I doubt your friendly with a man who's music you hate..does he mention David Bowie?His voice sounds rather like his at times.
I sometimes wonder if Eldritch just deliberately chooses ultra-naff bands when asked his preferences,just to see if his devoted followers start waxing lyrical about crap like The Rubettes and Cockney Rebel..
GMC
Road Kill

I remember reading something the Paramount Leader said somewhere about how NMA were sort of kindred spirits to the Sisters, and he'd rather be compared to them than to the likes of Bauhaus. Similar roots (blue collar city lefties with guitars), similar politics.

That and NMA is, you know, Really Rather Good. Not as blitzkrieg as the Sisters, but always played a neat, grown up, folky brand of punk that you can respect even after you turn 25.