was 2005 a good year for gigs?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
biggy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

As we don't drink we don't go to pubs or clubs. All we do (besides going to the gym) is go to gigs. Big ones, small ones, good ones, bad ones, gigs gigs gigs.
This year I went to the greatest gig I've ever been to.
I saw the original line up of The Stooges at Hammersmith Apollo. It was the only club show they did (saw them at Leeds fest & Download last year too). It was to celebrate their classic album (and my #1 album of all time) "Fun House". They did the album in full in the correct running order & it was mindblowing. Iggy was on fire & the Asheton brothers were superb. The true meaning of rock n roll. For the encore they did just about every other song they had.

Other highlights were 20 odd Duke Spirit gigs, 20 odd Kills gigs, a few Raveonettes gigs, the first time I saw Be your own pet - shambolic doesn't cover it, some other stuff etc etc.

Debaser
Overbomber

Smallstone wrote:Gigs of the year:

21st Jan - Julian Cope & Comets On Fire @ the Royal Festival Hall
Total psych kraut rock out carnage!! Copey back to his drug fried best. 2 sets, spent most of first in the crowd. Culminated in dismantling his mic stand and attacked himself with it in true Iggy Pop style. Lacerated stoumach. Nice!! Some of his new stuff is ok, some of it sounds truly awful! But some old classics were aired. Comets On Fire playing in a venue about 500 x the size of the Hobgoblin and at about 500 x the volume (seriously one of the loudest things I've ever heard) they totally tore the roof off. Incredible!!
:notworthy: Wasn't it JUST :notworthy: and how we roared at the mock Thighpaulsandra.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
pikkrong
Overbomber

Sisters - 4 great gigs (well, they were not equal but still great) in August :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Die Krupps - great gig in Estonia :notworthy:

Laibach - the same :notworthy:

Deina Lakaien - surprised me in a good way, very good gig, although I had given up to listen to them before the gig in Hildesheim (just before the Sisters) 8)

Peru 4080 - :notworthy:

Smurphs and Rhombus - :) :)

Talking about the gigs I have been at, 2005 was maybe the best year in my life.
Shame that I missed Near Meth Experience :cry: , The Fall, New Model Army and The Stooges and Kiling Joke's gig in Estonia got cancelled :(
do i drive
or am i driven
James Blast
Banned

I still have a problem with a man called Thighpaulsandra
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Delilah
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Planet Dave wrote: NME - Joseph's Well - awesome, very, very awesome. The drugs may have helped. :twisted:
don't tell me about drugs, love! :twisted: :wink: :innocent:
For me 2005 was reaaly great gig-wise:
lots of Turbonegro, 3 The Sisters gigs, NIN, Motorhead, Motley Crue... festivals, NMA...
new albums: yes, you guessed - Turbonegro (!!!), NIN, NMA, FOTN, Depeche Mode and a few more
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Delilah wrote:
Planet Dave wrote: NME - Joseph's Well - awesome, very, very awesome. The drugs may have helped. :twisted:
don't tell me about drugs, love! :twisted: :wink: :innocent:
I wouldn't dare. :eek: :wink: :lol:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

it was one hell of a year! gig wise ... a real scorcha :twisted:

Durutti Column in Fernelmont, Belgium

The Young Gods in Dour

Sisters in Tilburg & Lokeren

The Dirty Three in Antwerp

Sons & Daughters in Hasselt, Pukkelpop

Jamie Lidell on the Warp night in Brussels

Madrugada in Brussels

Editors in Brussels

&on&on&on&on&...
F--kwit
Road Kill

f--kwit's 2005 gig staistics in full(ish)

2005 was the best year for gigs ever. I went to 202. Yes do keep a diary...

In total I saw 283 bands - bands I saw most were Mystery Jets, Forward Russia, Brakes, Fear of Music, 65daysofstatic about 5-6 times each, the Longcut about 10 times... oh, and British Sea Power 48 times.

Most gigs I went to in one night was 6 on 3rd October (Piney Gir and The Exports at M2, Thai Bride at Walkabout, The Whelk Attachment (my fave new band of 2005) at Teasers, 65daysofstatic and Dirty Blood and the Architects at Drybar, Nacy Cunliffe and Danny Saul and Night&Day and Redcarsgofaster and Dirty Circus at Musicbox)

Stupidest places I went to gigs were Holmfirth, Glossop, a church in Philadelphia and a cave in Cornwall. And Lincoln. Three times. two of them on consecutive nights.

Longest distance travelled between consecutive nights' gigs was Leicester to Inverness (479 miles).

This year I have decided I should get out less.
You ain't seen me, right?
scotty
Overbomber

F--kwit wrote: Inverness
Who....Where....When....What?
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Silver_Owl
The Don

scotty wrote:
Must have been some passing fisherman with a banjo and spoons. :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
scotty
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:
scotty wrote:
Cheeky sod :lol: :notworthy: :lol: , The Beladrum Festival?.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Silver_Owl
The Don

scotty wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:
scotty wrote: Who....Where....When....What?
Do they have welly wanging and caber tossing (ooh-err Matron)? :D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
scotty
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:
scotty wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote: Must have been some passing fisherman with a banjo and spoons. :lol:
Do they have welly wanging and caber tossing (ooh-err Matron)? :D
The only "Tossers" there was "The Proclaimers" :twisted:
Silver_Owl
The Don

:lol:
I just checked the line up for last year actually.
Jah Wobble - pretty impressive.

and just to remind you how much you love 'em....

Don't you just wanna smash them glasses?

'Walk 500 miles?' - not after I've kneecapped ya.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
scotty
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote::lol:

Jah Wobble & Editors were superb :notworthy: :notworthy: , worth the entry fee on there own. The Proclaimers = Hibby Wanker Oxygen Thieves :evil: :evil:
Last edited by scotty on 18 Jan 2006, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

They look like twats, true, but I like "500 Miles", so.. :lol:
Silver_Owl
The Don

Dark wrote:They look like twats, true, but I like "500 Miles", so.. :lol:
You're in trouble boy. :lol:
Don't mess with the 'Ness posse.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

Hom_Corleone wrote::lol:

I threw a (drained, in record time and mashed up) can of Schlitz at thay twa gimps in Nightmoves one wet Thursday night in the 80s. I was so affronted by their naffness!

I hadn't learned about a good stabbing then, sorry :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
F--kwit
Road Kill

Belladrum was ace, best festival I've ever been to. The fact that is shat it down non stop but stopped for the half hour when I needed to put my tent up made it even better. By the time the Proclaimers came on i was so sh!tfaced I really enjoyed them...

did you see this nutter at all?

I mean the one on the left... the one on the right is undoubtedly a nutter too, but apparently the one on the left goes every year, wearing as much industrial safety equipment as he can fit on him. We liked him a lot. we were dead excited when we saw him again later and it was all lit up. That's actually one of the last things I remember actually....

more photos here
Debaser
Overbomber

F--kwit wrote: The Whelk Attachment (my fave new band of 2005) ...

Stupidest places I went to gigs were Holmfirth...

And Lincoln. Three times. two of them on consecutive nights.
The Whelk Attachement - apparently Lincoln's finest (possibly ONLY) Avant Garde rock band...(so it said on the poster I spotted at the George in Leeds ):eek:

Holmefirth was a bit messy - best not mention it too much incase 'that' short video clip is still hangin' around (d'ja see what I did there huh? ? ?)

Lincoln? May be stupid but what great gigs huh? I suggest that next time Scotch Chocolate (a hooooge jock in a kilt with bagpipes doing a tribute to ) is an expreience you wil NOT be allowed to miss!! Consider your room booked
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
rian
Slight Overbomber

Only went to 2 gigs in 2005.

Madrugada was ace!

Kaizers Orchestra was also great, Ithink. I got VERY drunk at that gig.

Hmm, can't remember if Motörhead was early 2005, or late 2004... Well it was LOUD! But not my cup of tea...

Lousy year for gigs. Should have went tomore of them... really....
I think someone set my soul alight
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Debaser wrote:Lincoln? May be stupid but what great gigs huh?
Not by the time we're through with it. :lol:

And for anyone considering coming to Lincoln, all the independent music shops have a few copies of our CD. :P
F--kwit
Road Kill

Debaser wrote:I did there huh? ? ?)

Lincoln? May be stupid but what great gigs huh? I suggest that next time Scotch Chocolate (a hooooge jock in a kilt with bagpipes doing a tribute to ) is an expreience you wil NOT be allowed to miss!! Consider your room booked
I'm already gutted I missed that. May well pop over for the next CDF one as I have heard rumours of some possible continental visitor(s)... don't be mentioning that bit over there though...

yeah, I have been to 4 gigs in Lincoln in my life and all of them were ace. Not many cities boast this 100% hit-rate.
rian wrote:
Hmm, can't remember if Motörhead was early 2005, or late 2004... Well it was LOUD! But not my cup of tea...
Ah they were ace when I saw them in November (05) - not a band I listen to a great deal at home but absolutely storming live.
scotty
Overbomber

F--kwit wrote:Belladrum was ace, best festival I've ever been to. The fact that is shat it down non stop but stopped for the half hour when I needed to put my tent up made it even better. By the time the Proclaimers came on i was so sh!tfaced I really enjoyed them...

did you see this nutter at all?

I mean the one on the left... the one on the right is undoubtedly a nutter too, but apparently the one on the left goes every year, wearing as much industrial safety equipment as he can fit on him. We liked him a lot. we were dead excited when we saw him again later and it was all lit up. That's actually one of the last things I remember actually....

more photos here
:eek: :lol: :notworthy: we saw him a couple of times, the weather on the first day was great, the second day was a bit pish right enough :( , the thing I found funny was the Packs o' kids running about :eek: , I'm sure there's parents still trying to sort them out :lol: . A great couple of days :D .