The "Goth" section.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
beatnick138
Road Kill

I've recently been given the duty of maintaining the "goth/industrial" section of the record store I work at (Rasputin Music in Berkeley, CA). And I was curious about how you lot would feel about seeing certain bands in the goth section.

These bands are currently in the "Rock" section and are NOT under my jurisdiction:

Bauhaus
The Sisters of Mercy
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Creatures
All About Eve
Nick Cave
Birthday Party
Joy Division
The Cure
Gun Club
Gene Loves Jezebel
Dead Can Dance

These bands are currently in the goth section:

The m*****n
Einsturzende Neubauten
Alien Sex Fiend
Christian Death
45 Grave
Tones on Tail
Sex Gang Children
Bella Morte
Front Line Assembly
Fields of Nephilim
...and many more (mostly terrible darkwave crappola)

So my issue is, there are plenty of "Goth type" bands in the Rock section, but I'm not sure how other people feel about them being in the huge, boring rock section. I'm quite tempted just to move the whole list over to the Goth section just so I'll have control over them. What do you think?
taylor
Slight Overbomber

remove sisters & FLA :

sisters actually on AOR section & FLA in EBM-EGM ones
Silver_Owl
The Don

Leave The Sisters and JD well alone.
They ARE NOT Goth. certainly not.
Rawk & Roll baby.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
scotty
Overbomber

Fuckin' GOFFS :roll: :twisted:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
aims
Overbomber

Just so long as you don't put Green Day in metal, anyone with a clue will love you forever :von:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Hom_Corleone wrote:Leave The Sisters and JD well alone.
Rawk & Roll baby.
Seconded

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Can't be bothered 'bout the rest, though I think Cave doesn't fit in there either. Especially not the stuff he makes these days.
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
scotty
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:Leave The Sisters and JD well alone.
Rawk & Roll baby.
I mean, The Sisters were never goth, oh no :innocent: :twisted:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
robertzombie
Overbomber

Andy looks really awkward on that poster.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Nice job. 8)

Yep, leave TSOM and JD well alone, shift all the others (when the bloke who has jurisdiction isn't looking), into your section. Sorted. :von:

Oh, and pass on any VNV to your mate too. :wink:
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
Silver_Owl
The Don

robertzombie wrote:Andy looks really awkward on that poster.
He looks like he's lost his walking stick. Poor old chap.
He faught a war for us ya know. :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Best thing is, any trip round Hyde Park in Leeds will take you past people still looking like that. Twenty years on. :eek: :lol: :notworthy:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Joy Division don't belong in Rock, really..
Dunno where they'd go.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Dark wrote:Joy Division don't belong in Rock, really..
Dunno where they'd go.
Essential Manc Gods section? Don't see too many of those in record shops. Probably cos there'd only be them and the Roses in it (yeah yeah yeah, and New Order, but they ARE JD, ffs). And if you were feeling cheeky you could slide the Mondays in there too.
aims
Overbomber

Shame on you, Dave.

I see a big gaping void where these guys should be :von:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Motz wrote:Shame on you, Dave.

I see a big gaping void where these guys should be :von:
I wouldn't know, only being able to remember 'Don't Fall'. Good enough, but I'll have to wait for Debaser to send me the promised cds before I can judge.

And anyway (though I may be wrong), aren't they from Ashton? That's SO not Manchester. :lol:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Planet Dave wrote:
Dunno where they'd go.
Essential Manc Gods section? Don't see too many of those in record shops. Probably cos there'd only be them and the Roses in it (yeah yeah yeah, and New Order, but they ARE JD, ffs). And if you were feeling cheeky you could slide the Mondays in there too.
agreed re. "manc gods" bit; but to say new order are joy division (ffs!) is wishful thinking, innit? although they may well have exceeded the possible commercial potential of JD they never sounded half as good IMO.

and as for them and the girls being in the goth section, surely that's relative to the record buying public where you are. personally i'd stick them all in there as A) that means you end up in charge of the records you like; but more importantly B) the people who might buy them are more likely to find them. you ain't ever gonna convince people (who previously haven't heard them) to buy their records just because they are in the rock section; whereas an impressionable goff may well buy it simply because it's in the goff section.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Just make sure you keep the Sisters in the ROCK section. Because that's what they do....they rock!
"as we walk on the floodland"
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'd say The m*****n are good deal less "goth" than FALAA and "Floodland" era TSOM,so if Sisters dont count as remotely "goth",then better remove them..
I wouldn't say Dead Can Dance fit in either section very comfortably.
Bauhaus definately should be thrown into the "goth" section,if you don't have a "Pretentious Art-Student Rambling" section. :innocent:
The Pope
Amphetamine Filth

beatnick138 wrote: record store I work at (Rasputin Music in Berkeley, CA).
Rasputin... ugh :?

Here's my advice: Quit Rasputin and work at Amoeba. :D :von:
Silver_Owl
The Don

...and Alien Sex Fiend aren't goth either.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: and as for them and the girls being in the goth section, surely that's relative to the record buying public where you are. personally i'd stick them all in there as A) that means you end up in charge of the records you like; but more importantly B) the people who might buy them are more likely to find them. you ain't ever gonna convince people (who previously haven't heard them) to buy their records just because they are in the rock section; whereas an impressionable goff may well buy it simply because it's in the goff section.
:notworthy: Indeed. If I was looking for a Sisters cd I would look in the Goth section first (if there was one of course) along with Alien Sex Fiend etc etc

I can never face having to trawl through all the middle of the road s**t in the Rock section to find what I want. I usually give up and go if I can't find it quickly muttering "they probably haven't got what I want anyway...."
canon docre
Overbomber

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: and as for them and the girls being in the goth section, surely that's relative to the record buying public where you are. personally i'd stick them all in there as A) that means you end up in charge of the records you like; but more importantly B) the people who might buy them are more likely to find them. you ain't ever gonna convince people (who previously haven't heard them) to buy their records just because they are in the rock section; whereas an impressionable goff may well buy it simply because it's in the goff section.
:notworthy: Indeed. If I was looking for a Sisters cd I would look in the Goth section first (if there was one of course) along with Alien Sex Fiend etc etc

I can never face having to trawl through all the middle of the road s**t in the Rock section to find what I want. I usually give up and go if I can't find it quickly muttering "they probably haven't got what I want anyway...."
Exactly. :notworthy:

... and the possiblity that Eldo comes along and complains about it at your boss isn't all that big, right? Well, apart from a few dates in March where it would be wiser to take a few days off. :innocent:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I generally look for the Sisters under the "S" section. I don't care what genre a record shop owner happens to file them under, so long as they're under "S"...
beatnick138
Road Kill

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Planet Dave wrote:
Dunno where they'd go.
agreed re. "manc gods" bit; but to say new order are joy division (ffs!) is wishful thinking, innit? although they may well have exceeded the possible commercial potential of JD they never sounded half as good IMO.

and as for them and the girls being in the goth section, surely that's relative to the record buying public where you are. personally i'd stick them all in there as A) that means you end up in charge of the records you like; but more importantly B) the people who might buy them are more likely to find them. you ain't ever gonna convince people (who previously haven't heard them) to buy their records just because they are in the rock section; whereas an impressionable goff may well buy it simply because it's in the goff section.
That's how I felt! Thanks very much.
scotty
Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote:
Dunno where they'd go.
Essential Manc Gods
Don't you mean Macc' Gods?