(Von's) Law Of Diminishing Returns

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

that poster is quite definitely the single-worst interpretation of all things Merciful that i have ever seen...and like dark i would like one.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pat
Slight Overbomber

I hope that's an interpretation of the new album cover. :innocent:
djaeon
Road Kill

And he doesn't even get $30 a shirt. Venues get a percentage of merchandise table sales. Sometimes a large percentage. That's why they're so expensive at concerts. Depending on each venue's contract, I'd guess he gets between $15 and $20 per shirt.
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

djaeon wrote:And he doesn't even get $30 a shirt. Venues get a percentage of merchandise table sales. Sometimes a large percentage. That's why they're so expensive at concerts. Depending on each venue's contract, I'd guess he gets between $15 and $20 per shirt.
Oh I didn't know that.
Then I guess his cats will be out of food until he releases a new record/DVD/whatever. :urff:
James Blast
Banned

this is not a Blast Products 2006â„¢

product!!! :eek: :evil:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Mr Thorburn
Road Kill

that is some gig poster.

can i refer you to the scene when janine arrives to join the band on tour in the states & she comes up with some great new artwork to give the band a new look. i assume that this has now occured on this tour.

sounds like the band are putting in some good performances though, so it looks promising. fingers crossed.

can i ask;

1. is anyone stood at the side of the stage holding a grays cricket bat? and;

2. are they playing at any usaf "at ease weekend" shows?

i heard, via a messenger, that "this corrosion" has gone top 10 in japan.....
Mr Thorburn
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I repeat: I want that poster. It's just so utterly good.
James Blast
Banned

Mr Thorburn wrote:tcan i ask;

1. is anyone stood at the side of the stage holding a grays cricket bat? and;

2. are they playing at any usaf "at ease weekend" shows?

i heard, via a messenger, that "this corrosion" has gone top 10 in japan.....
that'll be

Mr. T yeah? :innocent:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

We can all debate the hell out of the reasons for the tour, and nothing wrong with that at all. Quite simply, I'm glad it is happening and all respect to Mr E for making it work out.

I've been Mr Grumpyguts many times about the Sisters and experienced some very bad shows before - the kind where you are playing "guess the song" most of the way through..Astoria anyone?

Fingers crossed it is a good one for all this time...

Just hope they are not pish...
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
James Blast
Banned

Amen! Dave :notworthy:
~ Peter Steele
Ocean Moves

Mr Thorburn wrote:hmm.

i watched the MTV 120 minutes interviews last night.

The singer reminded the hapless interviewer that tsom are(were) simply not a "Club Band" & they really dont get out of bed in the USA unless its a 5000 capacity venue.

he commented that the sisters touring machine consists of 3 trucks & 30 people & it costs a lot to put that on the road & that he had to pay them.

if hes funding this tour himself & they are seemingly playing old songs & selling old merchandise to halls that are 1/2 empty, the tour could judder to a halt by march.

not doing interviews is superbly arrogant.

not even chucking in a new song ( even a cover version), may turn out to be a misjudgment. potential gig attendees who look at websites like this and who are umming & aarghing about going, may decide to vote with their feet, which would be a real shame.

i sincerely hope that they pull a rabbit out of the hat & surprise us all.

"du bist eldritch?" asked a surprised youth. "sometimes" the singer replied, without turning.
It is my understanding that they are playing about 5
unreleased tracks at every gig.
I wouldn't describe that as playing old songs.

old merchandise ? It is my understanding that
the clothing for sale includes a new tour t shirt,
and shirts that are new (with new logo) as of the
last 5 years.

The afore mentioned MTV interview is from 1991,
on the eve of their 10 year anniversary gig in Leeds.
Mr Thorburn
Road Kill

mr blast,

they dont make amps like that anymore.

i think you can get the posters from the sisters a & r man in the states - try artie.fufkin@polymer-records.com.

ocean waves,

on reflection, i think part of the point i was making is this. the notion of someone "reinventing oneself" is a cliche often referred to in the world of rock & roll ( eg bowie etc etc). eldritch seemed to have embraced (& sent up) this idea with zeal for a long period of time, through the various mediums open to him.

i cant really see evidence of this happening of late, which dissapoints me on several levels. i need more than a new haircut.
Mr Thorburn
Correl
Road Kill

I just thought i'd chime in for the first time in a long while,
I live near dallas, (about 30 minutes away) and frankly in the area their playing the "overbombing" strategy can be applied. I wanted to see the venue, and I saw atleast ten sisters posters on my way there. I didnt think to take pictures, but they looked pretty standard. They're receiving a Lot of publicity here actually.
doctoravalanche

Whatever the reasons are for this tour, we just can be happy of it, The Sisters are still kicking and that's the only important thing. AE is still alive, so let's enjoy those moments where we can hear live some songs like Anaconda, On the Wire, Flood I ... someday it will be impossible anymore, so let's just be happy and stop complaining about the setlist of the shows !!! :)
Mr Thorburn
Road Kill

why are you so undemanding....

im starting a tour journal to keep me amused until they arrive in thr uk.
Mr Thorburn
James Blast
Banned

their UK?

sorry, I just had to :oops:
~ Peter Steele
Jaimie1980
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Doctor E wrote: Will Mr. Eldritch ever get Mr. Kilmister to play bass for his outfit?
what a completely delicious idea -and if Lemmy can't make it i'm currently out of work. :innocent:
Lemmy playing bass for Sisters? That would be just :notworthy: .
Jaimie1980

smiscandlon wrote:
djaeon wrote:There was a poster done for the San Diego show. A very ugly one. I never saw it until after the show was over though: http://www.gigposters.com/posters.php?poster=58415
Dear God. :urff:
That's one ugly poster. It doesn't represent the band at all. There's someone who does similair posters for alot of alternative gigs in the States, I looked through a book of them. Some of them are quite good, not that one.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Driven wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Doctor E wrote: Will Mr. Eldritch ever get Mr. Kilmister to play bass for his outfit?
what a completely delicious idea -and if Lemmy can't make it i'm currently out of work. :innocent:
Given Mr. Metal's claim that he's been singing "Eight of Spades" for years and no-one's noticed, can we look forward to Thirsty Fasting Hallways, Fizzing Thing, and Excreta My Perfection?
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Jaimie1980

EvilBastard wrote:
Driven wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: what a completely delicious idea -and if Lemmy can't make it i'm currently out of work. :innocent:
Given Mr. Metal's claim that he's been singing "Eight of Spades" for years and no-one's noticed, can we look forward to Thirsty Fasting Hallways, Fizzing Thing, and Excreta My Perfection?
Could be different :lol: No it's the combination of :von: as usual alongside Lemmy on bass which would be the thing.
czuczu
Overbomber

Ocean Moves wrote:It is my understanding that they are playing about 5 unreleased tracks at every gig. I wouldn't describe that as playing old songs.
Most of those songs are at least 8 years old.
Remember when Vision Thing was a huge comeback after a huge two year absence?

Nice references to the Australian's nightmare though..

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Mr Thorburn
Road Kill

thats a lovely picture.

could you possibly stick & paste it into the 'none more black' string please & ill introduce her into my journal.

many thanks
Mr Thorburn
eotunun
Overbomber

Oh, a T-shirt with the poster on it... A friend of mine had a baby boy who liked spinnach a lot.
One day he started couphing while she was feeding him. After that, her white T-shirt looked allmost like that.
But I like it somehow, very fear and loathsome.
*...Yes, Igor? Oh, my coat! Thank you!*
:innocent:
There is shadow under this red rock
djaeon
Road Kill

Dark wrote:I repeat: I want that poster. It's just so utterly good.
Here ya go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sisters-of-Mercy-Sa ... dZViewItem