Gig recording equipment confiscated

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Following on from the Leeds05/Anywhere in 06 boot trade request in the trading thread...................has anyone here ever been caught smuggling equipment into a gig?

My two experiences were the Jesus and Mary Chain Leeds Uni 1985. Strangley enough this was the first gig that my brother tried to record with his new walkman. He just slipped it under his jacket using the carry strap, but a search on the way in scuppered the plan. The security let us in with no problem, and he had to collect it after the show.

I then smuggled it in to Manchester Apollo a few years later, where I managed to record a support set by The Bolshoi. One song into the headliners (All About Eve) a bouncer walked over and pulled the walkman out of my hand. He must have had good eyesight as I was standing in thre middle of the row!

After the gig I was taken upstairs into an office were about ten confiscated walkman were just sitting on a desk, and told to pick mine up. If I wasn't so honest, I could have picked any of them up.

Has anyone been ejected/refused entry or anything worse for having recording gear with them?
Last edited by Spiggy's hat on 10 Mar 2006, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Give me one good reason
scotty
Overbomber

Spiggy's hat wrote:
Has anyone been ejected/refused entry or anything worse for having recording gear with them?
Just ask Andrew S :innocent: :lol:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
aims
Overbomber

He's worked out how to record audio with a crisp packet? Flippin' genius :eek:
davedecay

i think i got nabbed once, just had to turn in the tape.

never ejected. rarely caught. ;)

got a nice Peter Murphy solo show from 1987 that i seeded on DaD, that went over well. also have John Cale, Foetus, Nick Cave, and New Order.
the-happening

Always managed to get equipment into a gig, never once got caught in "possession" in the early days the best device was the SONY WMD6 (used it from 1984 to 1997) a wonderful recorder but a little on the large size compared with todays devices!
"i'm talking about god, devil, hell, do you understand, finally?"
Dark
Underneath the Rock

davedecay wrote:i think i got nabbed once, just had to turn in the tape.
"Press the eject, and give me the tape." :lol:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

have you still got the bolshoi boot steve?
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Dan
Overbomber

In 20 years of taping gigs I've only been caught twice. Once was Bananarama *ahem* at Birmingham NEC. Outside there were security absolutely everywhere so I was unable to move the tape recorder to a place where they wouldn't find it without being seen and left it in a pocket where it was found immediately. I was given a raffle ticket to claim it back after.

The other time was Sisters Hamburg 1990 where the German security were WAY more touchy-feely than ours and the tape recorder was confiscated and I was given a raffle ticket so I could reclaim it afterwards.

My most daring bootlegging experience was videoing a gig at Leeds Poly without being caught. (NOT the Sisters before any cheeky beggars reach for the PM button.) :D I *almost* got to film the Eldritch/Utah Saints gig after getting permission to film La Costa Rasa through a friend of theirs as a ploy to get the camera in but the security didn't believe me and wouldn't go and get someone to confirm it, and they wouldn't let me stow the camcorder in the cloakroom as I'd have been able to go and get it during the gig, so I had to get a cab home to drop it off then have it drive me right back to the gig.
Spiggy's hat

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:have you still got the bolshoi boot steve?
Sadly not mate. :(

Another one lost in a house move years ago. Disappointing too, as it was decent quality with a cracking version of 'Away' to close the set.
Give me one good reason