The Warlocks

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Has anybody checked out their site yet?
They sound OK and they name check sonic boom on their links page ( :notworthy: ).

Grateful Dead were originally called The Warlocks, you know.

http://www.thewarlocks.com/
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Silver_Owl
The Don

P.S: They're supporting TSOM on their massive North American tour, if you didn't know who they are.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hom_Corleone wrote:Has anybody checked out their site yet?
They sound OK and they name check sonic boom on their links page ( :notworthy: ).

Grateful Dead were originally called The Warlocks, you know.

http://www.thewarlocks.com/
I like them. A friend of mine saw them in Stockholm a couple of years ago and thought they were great. I hope they also support Sisters on the (hopefully) upcoming Europe tour. ;)
Silver_Owl
The Don

TheBoyNextDoor wrote: I like them. A friend of mine saw them in Stockholm a couple of years ago and thought they were great. I hope they also support Sisters on the (hopefully) upcoming Europe tour. ;)
My thoughts exactly. I've just emailed their European booking agent.
Worth a try I suppose. :roll:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Is she withholding the truth :?:

HI Steve

Thanks for your email...unfortunately we do not have a confirmed tour period for The Warlocks at present.
Probably best just to keep checking their website for info.

Best regards
Marnie

Does this belong in Sisters chat? Buggered if I know.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
TheBoyNextDoor

Hom_Corleone wrote:Is she withholding the truth :?:

HI Steve

Thanks for your email...unfortunately we do not have a confirmed tour period for The Warlocks at present.
Probably best just to keep checking their website for info.

Best regards
Marnie

Does this belong in Sisters chat? Buggered if I know.
Hmm.. but maybe their booking agents don't have anything to do with their uppcoming support slot?

Or maybe it isn't just "confirmed" yet, as stated, and they're waiting for contract(s)... maybe..
Petseri
Overbomber

Steve, Sounds Sisters-related enough for me, so here is a move.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Guess the booking agent will not say anything out of fear for not getting the slot. The Sisters like secrecy, don't they...

Anyway, just went out and got their CD Surgery (it was just in, and it was the last one already :eek: ), and for what I can say by now it sounds good (though I'm still on track 1 :lol: ) and it's copy controlled. I seem to hear some BRMC hints at first sight too...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Obviousman wrote:Guess the booking agent will not say anything out of fear for not getting the slot. The Sisters like secrecy, don't they...
Exactly!
"as we walk on the floodland"
Silver_Owl
The Don

Well it was worth a try, eh?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Hom_Corleone wrote:Well it was worth a try, eh?
Certainly, you never know :D

Finished the CD by now, and I must say it was not bad at all after all, though I can't say their sound is very original.
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
sleeplogic
Road Kill

Obviousman wrote:
Finished the CD by now, and I must say it was not bad at all after all, though I can't say their sound is very original.
Who's sound is original these days? As far as opening bands go, I think we got a good one.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

sleeplogic wrote:
Obviousman wrote:
Who's sound is original these days? As far as opening bands go, I think we got a good one.
Oh, many bands' sound. My very favourite one among them being The Kills, and also I find Death From Above 1979 having a very distinguishing sound (though all their songs sound the same :lol: )

But you're definately right, I think they'll be a very worthy opener!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
GMC
Road Kill

For the Record:

Do Not Open For The Sisters of Mercy.

Here is why: Even if you are decent, you will be completely blown off the stage because no one -no one- has two songs that rip a show open like FALAA and Ribbons. You will be forgotten in the first five minutes.

That said, the Warlocks weren't bad, although the "Velvets" drone got a bit old on the fifth or sixth song. The Velvets swapped it up a bit guys, you should too... Heck, these guys probably never heard of Lou Reed anyway; they seemed pretty young.

The guitars were uninspired, but the songs weren't bad and their live bassist (hint, hint) had a very neat sound that added a lot of atmosphere. A very un-Sisters-bass sound, too - warbly rather than driving. She was also about a foot taller than the rest of the band.

Two drummers is a cute gimmick. It would be a cool gimmick if they, you know, played something complicated. Or, better yet, played something different from each other. But, they didn't. So it was just a cute gimmick. The lights show was vaguely neat though nothign like TSoM; well set up I think Von gave them some pointers about where to stand and so on.
davedecay

gotta give some props to The Warlocks for actually releasing CDs in the past decade, though. ;D

i liked 'em, and i'd go see them again, preferably in a smaller venue.

the bassist is tall, she looked me in the eyes and i'm 6'1".
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

"Two drummers is a cute gimmick. It would be a cool gimmick if they, you know, played something complicated. Or, better yet, played something different from each other. But, they didn't."

:o

it always worked a treat for beachbuggy 8)

and the fall ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
doc P

davedecay wrote:the bassist is tall, she looked me in the eyes and i'm 6'1".
maybe wearing high heels :lol:
Es ist grausam.
Dafür hat es aufgehört zu regnen.
davedecay

Quiff Boy wrote:"Two drummers is a cute gimmick. It would be a cool gimmick if they, you know, played something complicated. Or, better yet, played something different from each other. But, they didn't."

and the fall ;)
and the Butthole Surfers.
zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

davedecay wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:"Two drummers is a cute gimmick. It would be a cool gimmick if they, you know, played something complicated. Or, better yet, played something different from each other. But, they didn't."

and the fall ;)
and the Butthole Surfers.
Didn't Creaming Jesus have two drummers ? or was it the Marionettes ? (dont worry I'm not getting the two bands confused :lol: )

Paul
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

and the Dirtbombs and on occasion Hawkwind
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

Ministry = two boys a drumming.
I think standard trap set and electronic.
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
Martin
Amphetamine Filth

For a few more days, you can grab my podcast with classic songs from Sisters and the last album of The Warlocks, "Surgery".
czuczu
Overbomber

2 drummers - Murder Inc who were second support at the NEC show in 92.
Were classy enough to put water on the skins too 8)

(should have spent that time sorting their kit out :innocent: )
vicus

zaltys7 wrote:Didn't Creaming Jesus have two drummers ?
yep - in one of their earlier incarnations ("A Forest"-era)
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
wgahnagl
Road Kill
Location: Next to a highway surrounded on the other three sides by corn fields.

I have to agree with the comment that it is hard to open for the Sisters, mostly, because Sisters fans really only want the Sisters. If they would just play a 2 or 2 1/2 set we'd all be in Heaven. But having said that, I did really enjoy the Warlocks a lot last night in Chicago. Apparently, I was one of the few. It helped that I got Just Like Surgery in preparation and recognized a few songs. I liked the volume that was generated by the two drums, and I've always had a thing for female bass players. So I enjoyed watching Jenny, even if her bass playing was relatively uninspired.