regarding kierkegaard

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Hello, people. Just thought i'd ask about this here. Does Kierkegaard, in Inconclusive Unscientific Postscript (if that's the correct translation to english), ever help the poor reader by defining when faith can be considered as such as opposed to one's "faith" being but folly? How to differentiate between faith and things like obsessions and empty beliefs etc?

If it's relevant or not, i might need to point out that i'm not asking this as a student of philosophy or anything like that, but as someone whose outlook in life has much akin with that of Kierkegaard's.

Answers on a PM to my inbox, please (for very obvious reasons).

Thank you for your time and attention,
dei
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Badlander
Overbomber

Philosophy forums are sooooooooo boring. They make loooooooooong posts. Every one of them is a freakin' essay.
To die in dream, dissolve and fade. :urff:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Badlander wrote:Image
Philosophy forums are sooooooooo boring. They make loooooooooong posts. Every one of them is a freakin' essay.
Don't read 'em then. :wink:
"as we walk on the floodland"
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Badlander wrote:Image
Last time I was on a philosophy forum, this nut was telling me that I don’t exist.

@itnAklipse, I have no idea. What does Kierkegaard mean when he says faith exactly?

I haven’t paid much attention to Kierkegaard’s work yet. I got into existential philosophy around September time, when I found out that Jean-Paul Sartre and Nietzsche held a lot of the same beliefs as I was forming back then, when I renounced my faith and stopped believing in Gods and monsters, so I’ve mainly been reading their books.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

42:innocent:

I'll get me coat...
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Philosophy forums are the worst, i once tried to go to one but the people made no sense to me.

@Nick: Faith, as in subjectivity is truth and God...that one believes in his own vision of God.
Btw, Nietzsche is far from godless, and monsterless. Actually, he is much more "christian" (in a liberal kind of way, just remove christ from the equation) than...Spinoza haha...in a way that Sokrates was christian. Well that's how i understand Nietzsche anyway. Spinoza i don't understand at all. And it's terrible to talk about christianity when everyone confuses it with church and christ, that's why i'd never say i'm a christian.

42 is Satan. Take that any way you please. Just not that way.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Badlander
Overbomber

nick the stripper wrote: Last time I was on a philosophy forum, this nut was telling me that I don’t exist.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry but I'm a sociologist and a political scientist, I use datas, quantitative and/or qualitative. Philosophy makes no sense to me. :urff:
Much less subtle is my trade.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

nick the stripper wrote:Last time I was on a philosophy forum, this nut was telling me that I don’t exist.
I gave up philosophy around the time it was posited that the only way to tell whether the cat was alive or dead was by opening the box. Given that the cat de jour weighed 23lb, slept 25 hours a day and could barely rouse himself from slumber to shuffle over to the bowl and pass out nose-deep in Whiskas, I figured this guy knew little about the species, and therefore I was going to give up on philosophy altogether. Although Nietsczhe had some great waistcoats.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

EvilBastard wrote: Although Nietsczhe had some great waistcoats.
Von wrote:The Nazis did have the best uniforms ...
I suppose it's all relative. Unless you're a German tailor.
[size=9:7c190484cc]Johnny Boy - JB - Loki - Johnny M

Heartland 14 Jul 03 - 05 Aug 06.[/size:7c190484cc]
doc P
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

and who is Heidegger anyways :wink:
Es ist grausam.
Dafür hat es aufgehört zu regnen.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

doc P wrote:and who is Heidegger anyways :wink:
A boozy beggar, so it's said... :lol:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
aims
Overbomber

:notworthy::lol::notworthy::lol::notworthy:

Shame they couldn't find something to rhyme with Kierkegaard, really ;)
GMC
Road Kill

EvilBastard wrote:
nick the stripper wrote:Last time I was on a philosophy forum, this nut was telling me that I don’t exist.
I gave up philosophy around the time it was posited that the only way to tell whether the cat was alive or dead was by opening the box. Given that the cat de jour weighed 23lb, slept 25 hours a day and could barely rouse himself from slumber to shuffle over to the bowl and pass out nose-deep in Whiskas, I figured this guy knew little about the species, and therefore I was going to give up on philosophy altogether. Although Nietsczhe had some great waistcoats.
My cat is named Schroedinger. Go Figure.

Kierkegaard's central insight (with historical perspective) was that it is not impossible to maintain -faith- in an existential/postmodern worldhistorical perspective. (Postmodernism being Existentialism with either a random obsession with the second world war or a random obsession with popular culture; in either case lacking any additional insight into anything whatsoever)

Therefoe, Kierkegaard was kind of neat, if you like faith. (And I do, despite having none)
Flowers on the Razor Wire.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Motz wrote::notworthy::lol::notworthy::lol::notworthy:

Shame they couldn't find something to rhyme with Kierkegaard, really ;)
rear guard

this monkey's gone to heaven
Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

You'd have a hard time proving that you do exist. For all I know, you could be a figment of my imagination ;)

I don't know any Kierkegaard.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
canon docre
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
You'd have a hard time proving that you do exist. For all I know, you could be a figment of my imagination ;)
You're all figments of my imagination... so my doctor says.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Badlander
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Yeah but what's the point anyway ? Is knowing whether you do exist or not going to make you feel any better ? :innocent:
Philosophy... :roll: :lol: 8)

BTW Descartes kinda proved he existed. That's about all I know ! ;D
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

canon docre wrote: You're all figments of my imagination...
Some figments are more real and irritating than others no doubt ... ;D
[size=9:7c190484cc]Johnny Boy - JB - Loki - Johnny M

Heartland 14 Jul 03 - 05 Aug 06.[/size:7c190484cc]
Jaimie1980
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

EvilBastard wrote:
...and a brilliant 'tache. :notworthy:
doc P

Johnny M wrote:Some figments are more real and irritating than others no doubt ... ;D
and someone famous or something sang" some girls are bigger than others :innocent:
Es ist grausam.
Dafür hat es aufgehört zu regnen.
davedecay

you're all a pigment of my stagnation.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Canon_Docre, could you imagine me a bit taller, with darker hair, and a winning smile instead of a gap-tooth grin?

Cheers.
Badlander
Overbomber

timsinister wrote:Canon_Docre, could you imagine me a bit taller, with darker hair, and a winning smile instead of a gap-tooth grin?

Cheers.
:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
canon docre
Overbomber

timsinister wrote:Canon_Docre, could you imagine me a bit taller, with darker hair, and a winning smile instead of a gap-tooth grin?

Cheers.
ok, his position is currently available in my cerebral matter...

Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.